NC Educators Send A Message To Lawmakers

Educators across the state were wearing red Wednesday to remind legislators of their promise not to cut classroom funding.

Faculty and staff were in red at Ben D. Quinn Elementary in Craven County showing support to each other and the other educators across the state.

Those at Ben. D. Quinn want legislators to remember their promise not to cut classroom funding. Teachers say they are still feeling the effects of past cuts.

North Carolina schools have already dealt with over 1-billion dollars in cuts over the past 2 years and thousands of teachers have lost their jobs.

• by Chris Location: Civilization on Feb 10, 2011 at 07:58 PM
    You people need to get over this whole anti-union thing. You need to fight against the law that doesn't allow you to unionize. Until you make that effort, you deserve to have your salary cut every single year until you grasp the fact that you need workplace protection. I can't feel bad for you because you're not standing up for yourselves at all. I'm a teacher and my salary isn't getting cut. Is yours? I also get to eat lunch in the teacher's cafeteria at a table with other teachers. Or if I choose, I can go wherever I want as it's my time. Stand up for yourselves already.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Teacher, that comment of mine went over your head like a 747 heading to Japan...fast and way out of site. I said, regardless of who is governor...who has the purse strings? That right, both houses that have been controlled by democrats for a century. Now assuming after you 27 years of educating, 4 years college...ya gotta be less than 60 years old and only have known democrats to control the state purse strings. You cannot, whatever you say, hold your breath..jump up and down...say you know what it would be like under republicans....are you gettin this? I do hope you do not teach math......
  • by teacher on Jan 28, 2011 at 04:47 AM
    Obama snake oil, Your entry doesn't really make since. AS for facts, I was teaching when the last Republican governor was in Raleigh and a poll showed that 75% of NC voters would support a tax increase to improve teacher pay. At that time we were in line with states like Mississippi. I can see why you didn't teach long!!! Why don't you stick to your day job instead of telling a 27 year veteran and government teacher what the facts are.
  • by been there.. done that Location: enc on Jan 27, 2011 at 01:55 PM
    Two words: PRIVATE SCHOOLS.
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Jan 27, 2011 at 01:12 PM
    Teacher, how can you say that when dems have had control for 100 years. Again, you voted for a paycut...its a fact. Some mentioned the huge buracracy in NC as a place for cuts....what do you thing republicans would do when they found them making 200K a year? You don't know, since dems had control for 100 years. Stick to teaching, keep you day job, facts are facts.
  • by teacher on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    to obama snake oil, if Perdue had to cut teachers I can't even imagine what a Republican would have done. I already heard that LaRoque wants to stop paying teachers for a masters degree. Why am I surprised? Well, you got your republicans now we educators are going to suffer like never before
  • by Bill Location: plymouth on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    We don' have money for education but we pay ABC manager $100,000.00 per, put up guard rails to keep idiots out of canels going to the beach, put reflectors on the road every year so they can be scapped off after each snow, let government personnel ride around in big gas guzzling automobiles, let individual legislators have pork barrel projects and the list goes on. No wonder we are out of money.
  • by ace Location: j ville on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    Why worry about money, NO KID LEFT BEHIND means everyone who goes to school will graduate. They can't read or write but they will have a piece of paper saying they went to school for 12 years. What is all the lottery money doing. Just think how bad it would be (Per legislators) if there were no lottery. At least whey they are old enough and get elected they can truly say they are stupid and have papers to back it up. Thanks Gov.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    one of my family members is a superintentent for an eastern nc county. they are level headed, no drama, very intuitive about life. they tell us, that they have never seen as much waste as in the nc school system. He likes his salary, but he says that he is very much overpaid for what he does. 60 percent of his job is meetings, about upcoming meetings. he too agrees that management is way too top heavy..
  • by nobody Location: somewhere on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    If you have never worked in a school system, you don't understand in the first place. We have school personnel who transfer in to central services and they are amazed at all that has to be done to take care of approx. 26 schools, approx. 2000 employees. First year they are in central services it about kills them. So don't tell me that central services sits around doing nothing all day I know better and I don't make the big bucks.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114687719 - witn.com/a?a=114687719