NC Considering Paying Students For Good Grades

North Carolina legislators aiming to improve education are looking at whether to pay students for coming to class and earning good grades.

A leading Republican senator has proposed offering cash to each of the state's 1.4 million public school students who meet certain goals. Sen. Fletcher Hartsell of Cabarrus County says cash incentives might motivate students to work harder or get uninvolved parents to do more to help their children learn.

He wants a two-year study looking at the pros and cons.

A statewide student rewards program would be far more extensive than the experimenting that's been going on for years in cities like Baltimore, New York, and Chicago.

Researchers say offering rewards can work, but don't always improve results.

• by L Location: g-VEGAS on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    Why should students be paid to do the obvious? And like people have already posted, youre going to pay a kid to get good grades yet teachers are getting cut left and right?!?!?!? Regardless of where the incentive money is coming from, it should instead go to maintain teachers' jobs.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:04 AM
    Why are we paying students for grade and we are laying off teachers! What happen to earning your grades. Will the next step be paying them to get up and go to school. We have given children a lot of privileges.
  • by Kathy Location: Chocowinity on Apr 18, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    Oh - P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!! It is up to the parents to pay the kids for their grades! The state can't even pay the teachers' salaries! Perhaps that senator wants to pay the kids out of his salary????
  • by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 07:46 AM
    In general I agree with the comments but I will also note that it said students, & I noticed some generalization in some comments implying that low income families would be the major benefit, when truth be known there are other families whom children are just as bad if not worse when it comes to grades. NO way am I agreeing that children should be paid because that is pure CRAZY but neither will I imply that only low income families would reap the benefit.
  • by Sarah Location: Greenville on Apr 17, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    I was just told I'm cut after June. I'm not a new teacher (graduated 2005), I've done a good job (earned tenure in my old district), and it was out of my control (my contract was temporary b/c I switched jobs and started here during the school year). My principal apologized when he told me, even though the county cut my position and he couldn't control it. I did all I was supposed to do...and I still won't be paid for it as of June. My last raise was a few years ago, I have bills to pay, etc...but apparently it's more important to pay kids than teachers (and VPs, assistants, etc). Never mind that the kids already have somebody supporting them, whether it be their parents, the government, welfare...just another example of lawmakers who have no idea what really goes on in a classroom. What a shame.
  • by crazyhorse Location: washington on Apr 17, 2011 at 04:14 AM
    boy what kind of fruit loops are up in raleigh. we should all home school our kids the next 5 yrs. then most parents would stop making too many kids and then the state would have time to balance the budget. maybe the lottery money should be used to pay kids.
  • by P on Apr 15, 2011 at 02:02 PM
    They have lost their minds in Raleigh! With all the cuts in the classrooms wait till time has been served and see if it has gotten any better in a few years. All the progress that has been made in the past 20 years will go down the tube! Why pay students if you can't pay the teachers and assistants! You go to school to learn! The way things are going with the budget in stead of " No Child Left Behind " let's add and " No One Left A Dime" !
  • by Anonymous on Apr 15, 2011 at 02:39 AM
    I've been thinking about this....After four years of no raise, no raise in site, added paper work, accountability, responsibility this could be a very good money maker for teachers. We can take our game plan from the playbook of the politicians. Give the kids money for good grades, the kids pay me for giving them the good grades (give me money to get elected, I give you laws that make you rich)Everyone is happy the politicians can beat their chest and speak glowingly about the great progress our education systems has made, we will have pseudo "great performing students", there would be no more question of the success of ABC, 123 or No Child Left Behind. We could retitle all of the educational reforms that are more concerned with what statistics say than what a child has learned and can apply "THE GREATEST EDUCATION LIE EVER TOLD. Everyone gets what they want kids with great grades,teachers who don't complain about their pay or their work, politicians who have another addition to their accomplishments on their resume and parents who have less responsibility. In all things there is humor.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 13, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    Will the students get a 1099?
  • by Teacher Location: Martin Co. on Apr 13, 2011 at 08:38 AM
    Today, the news focused on all the teacher aides who will lose their jobs. Some of them work very hard and provide much support for students, but our legislators propose a payment for students who get good grades. This comes during a real budget crisis. This is one more example of leaders who do not visit schools or classrooms so they do not have a clue. In the end, the student not making good grades and their parents would put the blame on the teachers issuing those grades. It would become a real nightmare. Students who get good grades get rewarded....We call them "college scholarships."

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119636919 - witn.com/a?a=119636919