NAACP: Do Higher Farmville Utility Bills = Discrimination?

Calvin Henderson, the Pitt county NAACP President, met with Farmville leaders to discuss alleged discrepancies in utility costs. Henderson says most of the concerned residents are African-Americans.

Mayor Robert Evans says when the meters are read, race is not a factor, although the type of housing they're in could be. Former Greenville mayor and NAACP member, Edward Carter, says several of these residents, who are renters say their homes are poorly insulated.

"Some times these people don't come forth and let them know they have problems and sometimes they have to react than to be proactive in situations like that, I think it's a wake up call for us all," said NAACP Representative Edward Carter

After Tuesday's meeting, Henderson says this is about rates and consumption.

• by chowan411 Location: edenton on Apr 2, 2011 at 08:25 PM
    This is a problem that is experienced in other counties across the state. In Pasquotank county utiliity bill exceeds the rent. Living in Chowan county for a number of years, there are disparages in the bills here as well. Whether the homes are poorly insulated or what, how can that matter? Oh, let me guess, it takes more to heat a home that is not insulated well. Okkkkkkk. There are incidents that the bills are lower in certain neighborhoods. RACE does play a large part in many aspects when u come out on the winning end. When employment is low, pay is less, opportunities are less, we all know that it is based on the color of the skin. The good old boys system in the south has always been the way things are accomplished around here.
  • by gntcpw Location: Fountain on Mar 30, 2011 at 04:37 PM
    The Farmville Enterprise stated in today's paper that there was a low turn-out for the energy efficiency help meeting. Where were all of the people who were at the other meeting complaining about the high utility bills?
  • by Jesse Location: Stantonsburg on Mar 21, 2011 at 07:37 PM
    ok the light bills everywhere are way to high nothing we can do about it cause we have got to have lights some places are higher than others my town is crazy and so is all of wilson county but the bush and obama thing Bush in 8 years only spent half the money obama did in 2 years which put the country in debt worse just a fact look it up
  • by gntcpw Location: Fountain on Mar 19, 2011 at 04:39 AM
    I have been working "in the hood" of Farmville this week remodeling an older house. I can understand the utility bills being a little high under normal temperatures, much less with the thermostat turned up. I have also seen a group of men that do nothing all day across the street from the house but drink beer. They walk back and forth to King's store (which is bad news anyway) buying more beer. It's so much beer consumed that they have their own trash can(large ones from the town) to throw the bottles away. Members of the same group have asked us several times a day if we needed help. First of all, if we can't leave building materials (wood) because of theft, do you really think that we want your drink butts working for us? Not to mention, I saw a couple of men from the group urinating against the back of the building that is there. My whole point is this...stop sitting under the tree drinking and whatever else all day, straighten up, and get a job to pay your utility bills. You will appreciate how you spend your money a lot more if you actually have to do something to earn it.
      by g-girl on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:54 AM in reply to gntcpw
      A BIG AMEN TO THAT-SOMEBODY NEEDS TO GET THE GUTS TO MAKE THESE PEOPLE GO TO WORK AND STOP FUSSING AND CUT OUT ALL THE FREE STUFF
  • by Elizabeth Location: Farmville on Mar 17, 2011 at 05:22 PM
    Too workinman from a workin woman, a fool never that sweetie, i just have a different point of veiw & that i am entitle to. & YES I HAVE VOTIN RIGHTS ALSO, i must have hit the nail on the head with my comment, & yes it is scary 2 know it's ppl like You that is being reproduce in this society,so get over urself cause it's a fact that you are clearly A FOOL & I DISMISS PPL LIKE YOU OFF MY LIST...
      by gntcpw on Mar 19, 2011 at 04:40 AM in reply to Elizabeth
      I agree with you. There are lots of people that should never reproduce in Farmville.
  • by OSOC Location: Washington on Mar 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    If I only had my Obamadollars check........I thought he was gonna pay my electric bills....
  • by Big Al Location: NC on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:47 AM
    This race card stuff is old and tired.
      by daniel on Mar 23, 2011 at 07:49 PM in reply to Big Al
      much agreed. so tired of everyone pulling the race-card over EVERYTHING!!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:36 AM
    I live in Greenville and my utilities bills are too high...I am white...is there any organization that can help me because I am almost positive it is high because of my race! Thanks!
  • by workinman Location: Grifton on Mar 16, 2011 at 04:36 AM
    Oh, it is a scary world knowing someone like Elizabeth might just have voting rights. It is better to sit and appear to be a fool than to open your mouth and prove it ! Living proof some people should not reproduce.
  • by anon on Mar 16, 2011 at 04:36 AM
    so let me get this correct? whether rich or poor; all people in farmville are paying 38 cents to the dollar on there bill for a 29 million dollar debt that the "genius" town officials seemed to have incurred? might I add that these people who make these choices for you are paid well; some of them are paid in the area of 100 grand a year and when they don't get a raise they want they threaten to quit! I would not let some of them operate or manage a sh-----t house! I am so glad I live out in the county. one thing you can do if you are registered to vote: fire them at the next election! vote them out, and do it ASAP! so im guessing that if you have a 500$ bill then 190$ of it is for a old or bad debt that is unpaid? whether you live on social security or whether you are a Farmville blueblood living on a deceased relatives old money? sick sick sick sick! farmville gets no money from me nor greenville; I take all my shopping and money spent to Tarboro; i dont support bully type government!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117625013 - witn.com/a?a=117625013