Teens Wanted For Kinston Murder

Two teens are wanted for last Thursday night's murder of a Kinston man.

Warrants for an open count of murder have been issued for Lamont Byrd, 19 of West Lenoir Street, and Kion Dail, 17 of Cary Road.

Thursday night officers found Thomas Hinton shot in the chest at the corner of Mitchell and Lenoir Streets. The 31-year-old man died at the scene.

Anyone with information on Byrd and Dail should call call Kinston Public Safety at (252) 939-3160 or Lenoir County Crime Stoppers at (252) 523-4444.

Previous Story

Kinston police say they now know the name of a person captured on store surveillance video and he is no longer a person of interest in an overnight murder.

Thomas Hinton was found with a gunshot wound to the chest at the intersection of Mitchell and Lenoir Streets in Kinston. Officials say Hinton died at the scene.

If anyone has information regarding the murder of Hinton they are asked to call Lenoir County Crime Stoppers at (252) 523-4444.

Previous Story

A murder is under investigation in Kinston after a man was shot to death Thursday night.

Kinston police say 31-year-old Thomas Hinton of East Washington Ave. was found with a gunshot wound to the chest at the intersection of Mitchell and Lenoir Streets in Kinston. Officials say Hinton died at the scene.

The murder is under investigation, police say, and detectives are following up on all leads.

• by Anonymous on Jun 6, 2011 at 08:19 PM
    This is very sad and unnecessary. These young boys probably don't realize what they have done. They have ruined their lives, their families and the life of this man and his family. Only God can fix this. I pray they turn their life around.
      by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM in reply to
      whatever they knew exactly what they were doing. mr byrd has multiple home invasion cases pending against him already. he should have never met bail!!!
  • by TM Location: Kinston on Jun 6, 2011 at 04:35 PM
    Beware Mitchelltown Residents. Lamont is probably still in the area. He is known to frequent abandoned houses. He is VERY dangerous obviously. His father is a convicted murderer. His dreads were longer than in the photo the last time he was seen. Was born minus a soul.
  • by color doesn't matter on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Regardless of the color of their skin, they are young people that hold no value on life and do not trouble themselves with putting someone else in harm's way or hurting them. The Law should be absolute removal from this world. They are not part of any decent society and are a risk others while they continue to live. The punishment should be swift and harsh.
  • by ECU student on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    Im so sick of countless people being murdered by these worthless thugs that litter this part of the state. We as a community need to start fighting back against these clowns. I wish one of these fools would try to rob me or break in my house. I'll have my 12 gauge and my 45 waiting. But I am sure there will be some big rally on how they are both innocent even after they get a fair trial. James Richardson and these two thugs should be sitting in the gas chamber right now.
  • by here Location: here on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    Welcome to a life of crime! Welcome to being just another statistic! You will certainly never recieve a good job now that they will be convicted felons. TOO MANY non-felony having people need jobs in this economy. And then blame your stupid decision on everyone else!! Two brillant young individuals on the road to nowhere. Sad.
      by Anti-NAACP on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:23 PM in reply to here
      And that's word, yo.
  • by jack Location: Mar Mac on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:27 AM
    This is why there are more black men and boys in prison than in college. The parent/parents/guardian have to push these kids to stay in school and get off the streets.
  • by MBoogie on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:07 AM
    I actually taught Kion and Lamont in middle school. Hate to see them in this situation, but I hope they get proper due process for these charges. Both were good kids, a little rough around the edges, but if they did the crime, they have to do the time.
      by Fact Bringer on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM in reply to MBoogie
      If you taught them in middle school and you have a teaching license in NC, you would know that you're not permitted to talk about their behaviors as your students. Please use more discretion.
        by Anon Educator on Jun 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM in reply to Fact Bringer
        Fact Bringer: You are stretching the FERPA policy just a little too much with that politically correct comment. How in the world could teachers ever be use as personal references by former students, if that was true ?? MBoogie's comment is called freedom of speech. Get the Facts correct if you want to bring them.
        by Anon Teacher II on Jun 6, 2011 at 07:37 PM in reply to Fact Bringer
        Thanks Cliff Claven for that insight into the legal ramifications of anonomous posts on a website! Get a Life! There is no rule that a person cannot speak of having taught former students....many speak highly of having taught Michael Jordan, celebrities, etc., and I guess it is ok then? You are no lawyer or teacher but just a dufus!!
        by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:30 AM in reply to Fact Bringer
        amen, obviously she wasnt a victim of their current home invasion charges
  • by Anti-NAACP on Jun 6, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    In the video, the grandmother is quoted as saying she wants "more than a prison sentence" (meaning death). Now, the family of James Richardson wants him to walk FREE after he killed 2 white guys downtown. Just goes to show how the black community works.....kill white people, walk free. Kill one of your own, put them to death. Where is Mercer and Barber when this kind of thing happens? Too busy complaining about someone calling your racist organization "racist", than to try to advance your people.
      by Girly on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:01 AM in reply to Anti-NAACP
      I totaly agree with you. This is so sad though to know someone had to die due to some children trying to rob him or whatever they were out doing. Prayers going out to the young mans family.
      by fmrecpirate on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:22 AM in reply to Anti-NAACP
      This is not the voice for my black community.... since James was found guilty then he should pay the ultimate price. Most black communities are no different the white communitites -we both would like to provide for our families and raise productive citizens. Unfortunatley, the NAACP if used properly is a good thing however when you state that the "black community" works in a different manner because of a choice few then should we also think that the "white communities" are all racist because of a few? What is unfortunate, black or white these people lost their lives and their families are dealing with the loss. I am a proud black member of the "human community" and I believe in --an eye for eye!
        by Larry on Jun 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM in reply to fmrecpirate
        Well said fmrecpirate. A few do not represent the majority but provide fodder for race baiting. I am white and when I moved to Kinston was appalled at the blatant animosity from whites for other minorities. Then I moved to the town of Washington and was shocked by the rush to judgement that anything bad that happened to a minority was racially motivated. In fact there were times that my motives were criticized as being racist even when I tried my best to show impartiality. Fully 50% or better of those that I socialize with are black or hispanic because I choose my friends based on values not skin color. When we all realize that we are of the human race maybe this hysteria will diminish. Anyway good post.
        by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM in reply to fmrecpirate
        thank you!
      by Fact Bringer on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM in reply to Anti-NAACP
      This is a different person and a different case. It is considered a "generalization" when you lump all african americans and incidents together. It's a very irresponsible inference to make. Both incidents are tragedies and involve African American suspects- but that doesn't make them the same.
        by Anti-NAACP on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:21 PM in reply to Fact Bringer
        My question is...where's the outrage? When James killed the 2 white guys, the NAACP was on it before he even ran to Maryland. When Kevin Kleber accused a black guy of murdering his dad (which I am disgusted by), Barber and his goons were all over it. My point is, where are these "advancement" groups when the people they claim to advance are knocking themselves down? Only when a Caucasian is involved will these clowns speak up. Prove me wrong.
      by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM in reply to Anti-NAACP
      amen. NAACP=racism
  • by Citizen Location: Greenville on Jun 6, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    Mommas or grandmas will soon be out saying how these two model citizens were "nice boys" that would "never hurt anyone". Found guilty? Death penalty. Next?
  • by Barbara on Jun 4, 2011 at 04:51 PM
    This is so sad. I am sorry for the young man and for his family's loss. I did not know him, but it sounds like (based on the video, not what was in the article) he was just minding his own business, on his way home from work. I imagine the person/people who shot him were trying to rob him. I don't go anywhere in Kinston at night anymore--this has become a very dangerous town to live in.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123092868 - witn.com/a?a=123092868