AUTOPSY: Popular Store Owner Shot Multiple Times

An autopsy shows a popular neighborhood store owner was shot multiple times.

Rafiq "Sammy" Soufan was found dead in the doorway of his Rocky Mount store, Sammy's Food Mart on Old Wilson Road, early Tuesday.

The Pitt County Medical Examiner's Office lists his manner of death as a homicide.

A makeshift memorial quickly sprang up in front of his store as police handed out fliers seeking information on possible suspects. Police say two to three suspects were possibly in a four door, older model gray Toyota Camry with three hubcaps and one black steel rim.

So far police have not announced any arrests in his murder.

Previous Story

Police say Rafiq "Sammy" Soufan was found in the doorway of his store, Sammy's Food Mart on Old Wilson Road around 12:50 a.m Tuesday.

The 47-year-old man died at the scene. Police say two to three suspects were possibly in a four door, older model gray Toyota Camry with three hubcaps and one black steel rim.

Police distributed more than 500 fliers Tuesday to homes and businesses near the store. Investigators ask anyone with information on this murder to contact the Rocky Mount Police Department at 252-972-1411 or Twin County Crimestoppers at 252-977-1111.

Soufan's body has been taken to the Medical Examiner's Office in Greenville for an autopsy which is scheduled for Wednesday.

A make-shift memorial has been set up at the front door of a business where the owner was killed.

Previous Story

Rocky Mount Police say they are investigating a homicide at Sammy's Food Mart.

Police said the murder victim was a man whose name they are not releasing until his family is notified.

The murder was reported at 12:45 a.m. Tuesday. The location of the investigation is 1100 Old Wilson Rd., which is Sammy's Food Mart.

A press release from police did not say how the victim died.

If anyone has information on this crime, contact Twin County Crime Stoppers at (252) 977-1111 or crimestoppers@rockymountnc.gov.

• by christina Location: rocky mount on Mar 17, 2011 at 02:03 PM
    Sammy did not deserve this at all i knew this man for 12 years he knew all my 4 children he was a wonderful person who did not deserve this i dont care what it was for it wasnt worth his life being taken what ever this person wanted he would have given anybody anything.....im sorry this happened to his family if i could have taken his place for him i would have becuase he would have given his life for anyone i am so sad from this tragic event
  • by Jonathan Location: Raleigh on Mar 13, 2011 at 03:06 PM
    R.I.P Sammy. He was a good man. Me and my boys used to go in the store and he always looked out for us. If we didn't have enough money, he would tell us not to worry about it and just pay him later. He always had a positive attitude and kept us laughin. I'm gonna miss Sammy. The hood isn't gonna be the same.
  • by Tricy Location: Rocky Mount, NC on Mar 11, 2011 at 08:13 AM
    Sammy was a good man and never ever deserve to be killed... The people who did this will have to pay this whether today or tomorrow, BUT THEM DAYS WILL SURELY COME... Sammy was a Friend and a kind hearted man... He will be missed, dearly... Very much so.... Rest-In-Peace Rafiq "Sammy" Soulfan....
  • by FAYE Location: PLYMOUTH NC on Mar 10, 2011 at 07:35 PM
    MY PRAYERS GOES OUT TO THE FAMILY OF SAMMY SOUFAN I DIDN'T KNOW HIM NEVER BEEN IN HIS STORE. BUT JUST LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE SPEAK SO HIGHLY OF SAMMY I FEEL HE WAS A MAN THAT LOVED THE PEOPLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND THE PEOPLE LOVED HIM. I PRAY THAT WHOEVER KILLED HIM WILL BE PUNISHED TO THE UPMOST. MAY GOD BE WITH THE PEOPLE OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND WITH SAMMY'S FAMILY. GOD BLESS YOU ALL
  • by street justice Location: roky mounnt on Mar 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    i heard he shot one of the suspects in self defence,so tthere is someone around here with a fresh bullet wound,doubt he will go to the hospital.someone in town is bound to know who it is .better turn them in.
  • by Concerned Location: Beaufort County on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    This advise is for anyone, but especially parents. As the parent of an adult child,I would hate to have to turn my child in for a crime I know he or she committed. But parents, this is something we have to do. We KNOW what our children do and are capable of doing. TURN THEM IN! It would be better if they were locked up than killed, which is what will happen eventually. God allows unfortunate things to happen to us and He loves us more than any parent or anyone else ever could. He loves us so much that to keep us from continuing to go wrong, He allows things to happen so we can see ourselves.
  • by keith Location: winterville on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    my prayers to his family wife and his 4 girls i went to his funral and saw many ppl from his costmers there thats prove how good he was , may god bless his soul
  • by Lovingmycity Location: Austin TX on Mar 9, 2011 at 05:09 PM
    I can nevr post a comment that can explain how much Sammy meant to the community, he was truely an Angel here on Earth! Sammy had a heart of Gold, he loved RM, and RM loved him. To have this happen to him is such a tragedy, whoever did this to has to be a empty low heartless person. Everyone is always talking about giving back to the commutnity well this man gave to the community, not only in goods he gave you food for thought and gave you a smile to put on your face if you came to him feeling down! Sammy was a good man and you cant find to many in this day and time, I knew him personally for over 20 years, and I can say that with pride and honor. Sammy was true to his self and to others he was the kind of man that would give you the shirt off of his back to have this happen to him, I am at a lost of words. Sammy RIP, it was my pleasure knowing you! Rocky Mount was a town that I know you loved and now I can say that RM loved you back that much more!!!!!!! You are gone but never forgott!
  • by MIZZ LADY Location: Killeen TX on Mar 9, 2011 at 04:45 PM
    That is the problem in the world today there are not enough Sammy's! I was a customer of his for many years, no matter how you felt he could always make you laugh, he truely cared about his people, he knew everyone of his customers by name it is so sad that this had to happen to him. Sammy had a heart of GOLD, he will missed to the up most. I just hope and pray that his killers are brought to justice.Rocky Mount has lost a man that was truely worth his weight in gold, and a key member to the community.Sammy touched so many lives and tried to help everyone he could no matter what your race was, it is just so sad to hear that after all the good he did he still had to loose his life! Sammy RIP, you are gone but you will never be forgotten!!!!!
  • by Anonymous Location: Gvegas on Mar 9, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    Probably wouldn't let some crack head something for free and paid for it with his life. Rocky Mount is getting so bad I wouldn't live there. I would fear for my life all the time. May this man be in the loving arms of the Lord and be basking in his glory for all the good he did when he was here on earth.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117573568 - witn.com/a?a=117573568