UPDATE: Multiple Victims Involved In Accident In New Bern

The Highway Patrol says three people were airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital following a head on collision in New Bern Sunday.

Troopers say 20-year-old, Cameron Ray of New Bern looked down at his iPod and ended up colliding with a pickup truck, coming in the opposite direction on Williams Rd in New Bern. The accident was reported at 5:20 p.m.

Troopers say Ray was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville, along with one of his passengers, 20-year-old Miguel Cruz of New Bern. He was sitting in the front passenger seat. The other person in the car, 19-year-old Andrew Woodward of New Bern, was taken by ambulance to Carolina East Medical Center in New Bern.

The pick up truck that Ray collided with was driven by 64-year-old John Martell of Pollocksville. His truck was pulling a 24-foot trailer with a boat at the time of the accident. His wife, 64-year-old Edith Martell, was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. Martell and two other passengers, 45-year-old Jim Arthur and 61-year-old Elizabeth Benton, both of New Bern, were taken to Carolina East Medical Center in New Bern.

According to the trooper's report, Ray so far faces a charge of driving left of center.

Previous Story:
Troopers says a driver took a moment to look down at his iPod, but ended up colliding with a pickup truck, coming in the opposite direction.

That driver, 20-year-old, Cameron Ray of New Bern was traveling north on Williams Road around 5:20 p.m. Sunday.

Troopers say Ray hit a black pickup truck heading south on Williams Road, head on.

According to the North Carolina Highway Patrol, seven people, including the driver of the pickup truck, 53-year-old John Martell from Pollocksville, were injured in the crash.

Two people in the accident were cut out of the vehicles by rescue crews.

It's not clear, if those two were the victims airlifted by Two EastCare helicopters to Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

Five others were taken to Carolina East Medical Center in New Bern.

There's no word on the conditions of the victims or their names.

Troopers could not specific how many passengers were in each vehicle.

Previous Story:

EastCare Helicopters were dispatched to the scene of a serious vehicle crash in Craven county.

It happened just after 5:00PM Sunday evening on Williams Road and Airline Drive near Coastal Carolina Regional Airport in Craven county.

We're told there are multiple victims involved in the crash, but the severity of their injuries are unknown.

We'll bring you more information as it become available to us.

• by Anonymous on Jul 20, 2011 at 06:31 AM
    When you're driving, you shouldn't have any gadgets in your hand because both hands are supposed to be on the wheel. When I was learning to drive, my father told me that there is no reason at all whatsoever that my cell leaves my pocket while I'm driving. Hopefully the driver learned a very valuable lesson because this could've been much worse.
  • by Lauren Location: greenville on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    So sad to hear about this accident, praying for all involved. A cardinal rule when I drive with others in the vehicle with me, the passenger is in charge of the iPod and my phone so I am not distracted. When I'm driving alone from this point on I will not be using my iPod. Driving in general is a dangerous thing. Once I looked in my side mirror for a second, looked forward and had a split second to go from 35-0. Thank goodness no accident occured and I was able to stop in time.
  • by unknown Location: new bern on Jul 19, 2011 at 08:17 AM
    i know all people involved very well and lets not judge... Instead lets pray for the families involved.... Cam and Miguel are two amazing young men and the Martels are an extraordinary couple ...It was a very unfortunate this happened..... but yall need to stop worrying about the texting and all the other non sense and put your thoughts into all involved healing and getting well....
  • by Sam Location: New Bern on Jul 19, 2011 at 08:01 AM
    I think what some of you are saying is just ridiculous. You mean to tell me you have never glanced away from the road to change a radio station or glance at your watch? This was a very sad accident. Cameron and Miguel are both great friends of mine and they are lucky to be alive. Stop bashing them when you wouldn't feel so harshly had your children been the ones involved.
  • by Beverly Location: gettysburg pa on Jul 19, 2011 at 07:14 AM
    my former neighbors was the Martell's i hope they recover well and you guys will be in my prayers, as for the why the accident happened,well its supposedly against the law to text while driving,wouldn't you think that would include ipods and other electronics as well, everyone i mean everyone needs to stop this while driving, this could have easily caused a life to be taken away from u.
  • by Unknown Location: New Bern on Jul 19, 2011 at 06:13 AM
    They are all good guys and I am keeping them and their families in my prayers. Ok so now a quick question for everyone that wants to put their two cents in about how the accident happened, would you be so quick to comment and judge if it was your child? How many of you change the radio station, that to me would count as a distraction considering you are looking away from the road, even if only for a second. So ( Pete and Not distracted while driving ) keep that in mind next time you want to change the radio station. Keep these people and their families in your prayers please!
  • by New Bern Girl Location: NEw Bern on Jul 18, 2011 at 02:38 PM
    Pete, There is no one dead in this accident. I know both of the boys. They are good friends of my son and played football with them. The two people that are dead are from the crash in Havelock. This crash happened by the Craven Airport.
  • by John Location: New Bern on Jul 18, 2011 at 01:14 PM
    Hey... Cam is a good guy. Everyone makes a mistake like this... Only some make it.. at what turns out to be the worst time possible. I hope everyone recovers, but don't judge someone else claiming yourself to be perfect. Do us all a favor and keep your two cents and lectures for your own. Thank you and have a nice day!
  • by Carsin Location: Greenville on Jul 18, 2011 at 09:16 AM
    Maybe people should try praying for a safe recovery for the people that were injured. "Stupid" is the only thing you could think to say about someone who was airlifted to PCMH with serious injuries? Someone needs the GOOD LORD in their life.
  • by yellowrose Location: New Bern on Jul 18, 2011 at 07:58 AM
    WHEN OH WHEN ARE PEOPLE EVER GOING TO LEARN! DRIVING IS A FULL TIME JOB! PHONES AND NOW I PODS SHOULD BE IN THE BACKSEAT OR LOCKED IN THE GLOVE COMP. WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125718843 - witn.com/a?a=125718843