Motorcyclist Killed In Kinston Crash

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Kinston police say the motorcyclist, who hasn't been identified was traveling northbound on Highway 11 in the inside lane when 85 year old Estelle Eubanks, traveling west on Mewborn Avenue, pulled into the path of the motorcycle.

The motorcyclist was taken to Lenoir Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Eubanks was not injured. The investigation into the collision continues and charges may be pending.

• by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    I am an avid motorcycle rider as a passenger. It is very hard to ride one because people do not pay attention. It is not just old people or teenagers. People do not take time to slow down or pay attention to what is going on around them. You should be able to hear or see a motorcycle. People need to put the cell phones down and turn the music down and concentrate on what is going on. We enjoy riding and it is very difficult because of things like this. I understand that this was an accident but people learn something from this accident and the death of this man.
  • by Roger Location: Kinston on Apr 21, 2011 at 03:30 AM
    I personally know this citizen who was involved in the car which collided with the motorcycle. A very compassionate Christian lady whom I respect greatly and whom I have churched with many years. We all know that motorcycles are difficult to see and almost impossible to estimate oncoming speed. And as for age, I do not believe in this case it caused this accident. It is most unfortunate for her in that she will have to live with the memory of this accident. But she will find Grace to deal with it from her Lord. I will remember her as well as the motorcycle victim in my prayers and pray for the Grace of God and His peace that passes all understanding.
  • by 250 Location: Jax on Apr 21, 2011 at 12:57 AM
    I rode my bike yesterday from Jax to Fayetteville to go to the VA. I found most cars turning onto 24 were very patient to wait for me to pass the intersection. I ride full time with my highbeam on. Coming back I had one car turn out but I was anticipating it. He may have thought I was a scooter and traveling slower then the 55mph posted. All in all it was a relaxing ride for the 150 mile round trip.
  • by wonderer Location: pitt on Apr 20, 2011 at 07:34 PM
    First and foremost, I am not blaming granny for the unfortunate event, things could happen, and all of us gets to the point of no return, "old age". I'm sure she is very bothered right now of the accident, and i am sorry for the loss of life and to granny. I'm just wondering why in a world motorcycle accident is very rampant here. The reason why is because I was raised in a place where "habal-habal" is, (Google/youtube it to know more). And not that very many of deaths happened. I'm not sure if it's the issuing of licenses that needs to be straightened up or it's just that the motorcycle riding public needs to be more cautious, with an eye angle of 360 degrees. "Just wondering"....
  • by anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:42 PM
    To all of you that are criticizing older drivers, remember you will be an older driver yourself one day. Have a little compassion for the lady! And no, I am not a senior citizen but I do realize that I will be one day!
  • by David Location: New Bern on Apr 20, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    To Anonymous @ 8:09, Al Bundy di it in a bad way, but all he is saying is that seniors should be subjected to a physical or some kind of testing to ensure that they are not a hazard on the road ways. I'm sure that if it was your grandparent or mother that wasn't capable of driving safely, you would want to know before they hurt themselves or someone else. I know I would. I have rights too. The right to be able to drive my family around without having to worry about someone who shouldn't be driving.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 05:09 AM
    To Al Bundy - Lets start by taking YOUR rights away! Studies have PROVEN that it is NOT senior citizens that cause the majority of accidents - it is teenagers and most of the time teen boys. Lets just take all your rights away because you hit the senior bracket if only for a week and see how you appreciate someone taking YOUR freedom away. By the way - I will be 44 in May.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 05:06 AM
    That is the chance when you choose to ride a motorcycle. They are aware of the dangers and that they are hard to see a lot of the time. They come up so fast you do not notice them sometimes. It was an accident. PERIOD. God Bless the family and the woman that accidently hit him.
  • by jimmy on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:50 AM
    i have know Mrs Eubanks for more than 35 years she is not a person that would harm anyone or any thing things happen in a blink of a eye i ride a motorcycle myself and people have problems seeing us all the time when we ride alone or in packs DONT HATE TILL YOU RELATE
  • by Al Bundy Location: Greene Co on Apr 20, 2011 at 01:05 AM
    I will never own a motorcycle due to other people who cannot drive! This woman was 85 years old . I think once you hit 65 you should have a physical from a doctor like people who get CDL's! This should be every 2 years. if not hand them over. it is true as you get older your reflex's are slowing down. Accidents happen it seems here lately it is older drivers that are killing other people. SO I may make a few people mad but oh well it is the truth. IT always pays to look twice when pulling out No need of this one happening God rest the man killed. I hope they take this woman's license away.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120257974 - witn.com/a?a=120257974