Motorcyclist Injured In Crash

One person is in serious condition and another charged following an accident Monday night in Lenoir County.

Highway Patrol says William Nesselrotte of Kinston was on a motorcycle headed North on NC 58 near Strawberry Branch Road when a van driven by David Hodges of Kinston pulled out of a private driveway onto the road.

Nesselrotte was thrown from the motorcycle and taken by East Care to PCMH.

Hodges is charged with failure to yield right of way causing serious injury.

• by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2011 at 05:58 AM
    The brother of the injured young man is hurting because his brother was hurt, but Mr. Hodges did NOT make the statement the way that he is portraying it on this board. The statement by Mr. Hodges was made out of respect and out of kindness. This is a tragedy for all involved.
      by Me on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM in reply to
      But even his brother does not hurt as much as he does.
  • by Shelby on Apr 20, 2011 at 01:57 PM
    everyone is upset and looks for someone to blame, but I am sure that Mr.Hodges did not mean to do it on purpose everyone makes an accident. I am the wife of a police officer who heard about it and knows who responded to the call and its funny that everyone hears something and runs. The thing to do is pray. HOW could you think that someone wouldnt be bothered by almost killing a person.
  • by Judge Not Location: kinston on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    First, I want to say that I am so sorry for both families that have to deal with the hardships of being in an accident that leaves people severely injured. This is a horrible situation for all parties and families involved!! Second, David Hodges is witout a doubt a very kind and very sympathtic man!! I have no hesitation in saying that I know, David Hodges meant no disrespect to this injured man nor his family!! Third, I know this area very well and can promise you it is a very dangerous area that he lives in! His home is located at the bottom of a hill that crests just 300 to 400 yards away. From the bottom of this hill you cant see traffic until it reaches the crest of the hill, and from just beyond the crest at the top, you cant see traffic comming from the bottom of the hill until it is nearly to the crest! I say the speed limit should be lowered in this particular area, but thats up to the DOT!! I also have been told from Davids family that he did see the motorcyclist in tme to put his van in reverse and move it back into his drive to some extent before the motorcyclist made impact with his van. However, not much correction can be made in the time it takes for a motorcycle to travel 300 to 400 yards!! So, for those how think he was just carelessly pulling out into the road, I say you are wrong!! I am sure that David did all that he could to prevent this accident and all that he could to help the injured man afterwards!! Now, for those of you whom just made yourself feel big by posting your hogwash with no insight to the situation, your opinions are best taken somewhere else!! You are not judge nor jury and should not act as so!!
  • by KES on Apr 19, 2011 at 07:28 PM
    I know David Hodges personally and he is an OUTSTANDING man!!!! I am very sorry for the motorcyclist and his family and he is in my prayers. But people accidents DO happen.....YES we can all be careful,and extra cautious but it is just that...an ACCIDENT...David would NEVER have been insensitive to that family. I DO know that area, and there is a hill, and even when you look and look, you can pull out and then out of no where a car is coming. You people need to put your focus on praying for the injured man and NOT bashing a VERY good hearted man, whom I am SURE is tore up about the whole incident without having to read your ignorant BASHES!!!!
  • by Please Location: Kinston on Apr 19, 2011 at 01:47 PM
    Please...take a moment and put your self in the position you are judging so harshly. I have actually been in an accident (that was not my fault); however, my immediate reaction was concern for the other person involved no matter who is at fault. To assume Mr. Hodges was "mean" in that moment of crisis is just plain ignorant. No matter what comment he made or could have made to the family it would not have been enough, and it would not have changed the situation at all. It is terribly unfortunate that people spend their life judging others. Please think about what you are writing prior to submitting. Nobody leaves their house and thinks "today I am going to cause an accident".
  • by The ECHO Location: Kinston on Apr 19, 2011 at 01:23 PM
    Thoughts and prayers to all concerned. As if this wasn't bad enough, another motorcycle rider was killed today just on the outskirts of the Kinston city limits on Hwy 11/MLK Blvd. An 85 year old woman turned left in front of him while he was traveling north in the inside lane. PLEASE pay attention to those of us who may be riding our motorcycles. Just a few extra seconds looking could save someone's life.
  • by Really??? Location: Kinston on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    Mrr. Hodges seems like a smarty pants to me!! I mean really, he couldn't think of anything better to say to the family. To Shame, ugh......is so right!
      by To really on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:04 PM in reply to Really???
      Again you were not there. You do not know what was said and what was taken out of context. "Smarty pants" and "ugh" are such mature words. that says a lot about you. Really!
      by Reply on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:07 PM in reply to Really???
      "smarty pants" and "ugh" - How mature.
      by DR on Apr 21, 2011 at 06:00 AM in reply to Really???
      You have no CLUE what really happened. You could use a lesson in maturity yourself.
        by Me on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM in reply to DR
        I was there. Were you?
          by DR on Apr 24, 2011 at 06:51 AM in reply to Me
          I did not think I directed my comment to you. Earler you made a comment about motorcycle safety, which is commendable, but makes me wonder if you were there, either. And, yes, I was there.
  • by MEC on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    I don't know Mr. Hodges but reading the comments I'm sure he HATES this happened! You would have to be a cold person not to have compassion in the case. I'm sure he did NOT mean anything UGLY!!! I pray for both of these families and you should too!! My Mom,85 years young, may say something "dumb" at the moment but her heart would be in the right place.
  • by Anonymous Location: Goldsboro on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:55 AM
    Wow! You people sure are mean! I don't know any of these folks. When I first read the comments that Mr. Hodges made, I didn't not think for 1 minute that he was being mean. I took them to mean that there was no way he could feel as bad as the person that he hit because that person was badly hurt. It was a simple comment that appears to have been made by a very humble, caring, saddened person person who was upset over what had happened. Why in the world people want to always make something as honest as a simple comment into something mean is beyond me. Prayer is what everyone involved in this horrible event needs. Certainly not these mean and hateful remarks.
  • by Stones and christians on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    I doubt MR. Hodges was more concerned on getting EMS to focus on the motorcyclists, only due to the fact that if there is a man with no injuries and a man with a mangled leg obviously the EMS will take care of the wounded first. It just sounds like everyone wants to throw religion in as if they are better than others. Putting religion into this has nothing to do with the facts. I know the family of the victim, and they are upstanding people, with huge hearts. And if you don't know both families then I think everyone needs to just shut up!!! They're not judging Hodges rather they are stating what he told his mother. If you weren't there when it was his mother, and wife then you don't know what he said. Only the mother, wife, rider, and Hodges know so lets not judge anyone.
      by Again, you were not tehre. on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM in reply to Stones and christians
      No, they wanted to help Mr. Hodges, as they are trained to do, and he wanted to make sure everyone was helping the victim. And "they" are not stating what he told the mother correctly.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120170964 - witn.com/a?a=120170964