NEW FACTS: Motorcyclist On One Wheel Crashes

The motorcyclist who crashed into a pickup truck in Onslow County Tuesday was driving on one wheel at the time of impact.

Trooper JD Kirk says at 2 a.m., 21-year-old Edward Shofner of Maple Hill was listed in critical condition at Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville. Shofner was airlifted there from the accident scene in Onslow County Tuesday evening. Kirk says he has been unable to get an update on Shofner's condition.

Trooper Kirk says Shofner hit the pickup truck of Perry Parker of Jacksonville as Parker tried to make a turn. Parker was not injured.

Witnesses told troopers the traffic on Blue Creek Rd. was backed up because of an earlier accident on the two-lane road. Shofner then went into the oncoming traffic lane and started speeding by the vehicles in front of him, Kirk said. The wreck happened at the intersection of Jim Blake Rd.

Charges are pending against Shofner.

Previous Story:
Troopers say the wreck happened around 6:30 Tuesday evening at the intersection of Blue Creek and Jim Blake Road in Onslow County.

Trooper JD Kirk says 21-year-old Edward Shofner of Maple Hill went left of center in a no-passing zone on Blue Creek Road, and accelerated past 8-10 cars, at times driving on his rear wheel at speeds between 60 and 70 miles per hour. Troopers say a driver in a pick-up truck was making a left turn onto Jim Blake Road when Shofner collided into the rear of the truck.

We were unable to get a condition update on Shofner as of late Tuesday night.

• by Mrs. Shofner Location: NC on Apr 10, 2011 at 09:33 PM
    Could everyone just leave Allen alone? This is his wife. We know that he was driving wrecklessly, but everyone makes mistakes in their lives. All of you posting terrible things have made mistakes yourselves. I believe that he is paying quite a price for this mistake, considering he hasn't even woke up since the accident and if/when he does, he will be paralyzed. You guys should think about how you would feel if it were your son, spouse, or friend lying there. How would it make you feel to see comments like the ones you have posted? And let's not forget, that this same young man you all are bashing spent a tour in Afghanastan, risking his life for your freedom.
  • by T Location: Jacksonville on Apr 8, 2011 at 04:10 PM
    Was he wreckless? Yes. Should he of been more cautious? Yes. But no one needs to be on here bashing him. Especially if yall don't know who he is. The doctors told him he'd never walk again, and no one deserves that. I think he knows just how big a mistake he made without everyone else telling him.
  • by Wayne Location: Kentucky on Apr 7, 2011 at 09:01 AM
    Did he make a mistake? Yes, but who hasn't at 21? I rode until I was 18 and didn't pick it back up until I was 35. My perspective and riding habits changed dramatically in that time. Maybe with the Good Lord willing, he will have a chance to learn from this mistake.
  • by garris Location: ayden on Apr 6, 2011 at 06:56 PM
    To all that reads this.This man is a Marine do you know who is going to pay for this.We the tax payers for the rest of his life.He will get disability.
  • by scott Location: wnc on Apr 6, 2011 at 05:14 PM
    “Not in the line of duty” and “due to the member's own misconduct”?
  • by Mike Location: Onslow on Apr 6, 2011 at 04:26 PM
    Did y'all stop to think here that North Carolina now has given birth to a new "dependant". Hope y'all know how to, or remember how to change diapers. He ain't gonna be in any shape to earn a solid living anytime soon. Yeah, no sympathy. I ride; had to set my bike 1X that to avoid a rose vine next to my driveway B4 setting out for a 100 mile ride.
  • by David Location: Pinetown on Apr 6, 2011 at 03:27 PM
    to: Mike Apr 6 , Do not judge all bikers by one who made a bad mistake . There are a lot of fools in cars that endanger bikers as well.
  • by z on Apr 6, 2011 at 08:54 AM
    Charles thank you for being respectful of him... he really is a great guy once you meet him
      by Chales on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM in reply to z
      I'm sure he is a good person.I sincerely hope he survies this and can learn from his bad decision about speed and trick riding, as I did from mine.To much speed on the public road almost got me killed in '73.I am grateful for my life being spared,and probably like many,that one event changed the way I ride and has kept me "safe" since then.I decided that sharing my skin with the asphalt was not healthy!Please pass along my best wishes,and my hope that he will have many "safe" years ahead of him.Sharing his experience with other young riders just may help them avoid a similar fate.God bless!
  • by Charles Location: Chocowinity on Apr 6, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    I feel for this young man,and for the truck driver.What can we do,more than what we already do,to train young riders to be safe?A friend of mine has a saying: "if you are gonna be stupid,you better be tough".I started riding when I was 16.Had my one and only accident when I was 18;it was my fault.That was 37 yrs ago.I have had many close calls due to operators of other vehicles since then but careful, defensive driving has kept me safe.I still ride and enjoy it very much.I wish I could inject what I have learned into the minds of all young riders and help them live to enjoy riding at my age.To the non-riding public I request that you not judge us all by this one's behaviour,and please do be aware of riders,especially as the weather warms up.To other riders who also may think your superbike makes you superman...listen and learn.There is a place for trick riding and fast riding.The public highway is not safe for those great thrills,and you endanger others lives by attempting them on the public roads.Please ride safely and limit the tricks and speed to areas reserved for them.There are some excellent videos for riders and nonriders at this web site:http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx
      by Mike on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM in reply to Charles
      I don't feel sorry for him ! He got what he deserved.I hope he is in pain for a long time.There are to many FOOLS out there on motorcycles endangering other innocent people.
  • by FedUp II Location: Greenville on Apr 6, 2011 at 06:32 AM
    Ride Hard, Die Fast!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119298269 - witn.com/a?a=119298269