UPDATE: Driver Charged In Fatal Motorcycle Crash

The driver of a pick up truck in a fatal wreck is now facing charges for a motorcyclist's death.

Court records show 26-year-old John Venturino is charged in Onslow County with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, and failure to yield left turn. The fatal accident on Highway 172 in Sneads Ferry Wednesday killed 47-year-old Michael Phillips.

Previous Story:
State troopers say charges are expected to be filed in a deadly motorcycle crash in Onslow County.

It happened around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday on Highway 172 in Sneads Ferry. Troopers say a pickup truck failed to yield the right of way as it turned into the Wilco Hess. The driver of the motorcycle was killed.

At this point troopers have not released the names of those involved.

• by anonymous on Dec 5, 2010 at 03:06 PM
    The victim was not alive, died on impact.
  • by Anonymous Location: New Bern on Dec 1, 2010 at 06:50 PM
    @ Vickie Killing someone with a gun can be human error. My friend accidentally killed a loved one with a gun. He has to live with that for the rest of his life. I think it boils down to intent. If the person was in a hurry and not paying attention that is negligence! It is dangerous when people don't pay attention, especially around bikers. On the other hand, I have seen some pretty dangerous bikers on 'rockets' weaving in and out of traffic. :( I hope they don't EVER have to pay the price for their stupid behavior!
  • by looking both ways Location: gville on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    I guess the next time a motorcycle pulls out in front of me and I hit a tree or worst a person, is that an accident? I can this issue from both sides. My cousin and girlfriend was killed years ago by an older lady pulling out of her driveway. The position of the sun played the major factory, other riders that where with them stated coming into curve blinded by sunlight, woman driver pulling out was also blinded by the sun. Accidents do and can happen. Not sure what happened here just pray whenever you or others get into the drivers seat of any moving vehicle.
  • by anon Location: downsouth on Nov 12, 2010 at 06:35 AM
    accidents don't happen , they are caused!!! probably in a hurry to go get a beer or lottery ticket. i ride a harley and tired of these people that r in a hurry to get no where trying to run over u to get there. i have been known to stop and tell a few off that did something stupid to almost make me wreck. and i am sure i will tell a few more before i stop riding too! people dont care no more. it is all about them getting nowhere and killing people to get there!!!!!! i hope he gets life in prison.
  • by Vickie Location: Grimesland on Nov 12, 2010 at 05:03 AM
    @huh...I would imagine "human error" is the difference.Killing with a gun is not human error,just as everything is not black and white.
  • by huh? on Nov 12, 2010 at 03:20 AM
    Why can you kill someone using a 2,000 pound weapon (a car) and it is a misdemeanor and if you use a 1 pound weapon (a handgun), it is a felony?
  • by Eunice Location: Dunn, NC on Nov 11, 2010 at 04:49 AM
    We were at the Wilco-Hess yesterday too. We were traveling and didn't know anyone involved, but the sight of the young man lying there really hurt my heart. May God comfort his family. I hope he knew the Lord. Life is a vapor.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 10, 2010 at 08:54 PM
    I wish people would be more careful when driving. I am a motorcycle rider and I have had some close calls by people not paying attention. I feel for his family.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 10, 2010 at 02:51 PM
    God Bless his family. As my family has been in their shoes. This man was a very quiet man, kept to his own and loved his animals. He will be missed
  • by Anonymous on Nov 10, 2010 at 02:14 PM
    We were going thru yesterday. Victim was alive at that time. Folks - live like it's your last day because it very well could be. God Bless the family of the victim and the man that no doubt did not mean too.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 107055463 - witn.com/a?a=107055463