Morehead City Gets Ambulance Bus

A city in the east has a new medical unit that can transport more than 20 people at a time.

Morehead City has a $357,000 medical ambulance bus they bought with a Homeland Security Grant.

Morehead City Fire and EMS designed it to transport 12 patients on stretchers and 10 in wheelchairs at one time.

Morehead City Police Chief Wes Lail says the bus has four primary missions- respond to a mass causality, assist in an evacuation, be a special standby at a large event, and be used for rehabilitation for on-scene responders and as a command center.

The grant was originally awarded to Carteret County. When they turned it down the city worked to get it.

The bus will eventually be used throughout the region- not just the city.

• by Reed Location: Newport on Nov 1, 2011 at 04:37 PM
    So glad as an EMT Firefighter that we get the respect from the community I read here. I have spent years of my life in training, horrible circumstances and real fear in the service. I make no money, and work 2 other jobs when I leave that firehouse. I would die for any one of you. I don't make big money purchases...I can hardly pay my rent. Remember a little respect for your Fire-EMTs....intelligent, tired and dirty, most with back injuries. All for you.
  • by RN Location: Washington on Oct 29, 2011 at 07:35 PM
    I hope this unit won't have to be used very often but if it is needed it will be great! I'd love to see the inside.
  • by John on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    This has to be the stupidest purchase I have ever heard of. And we wonder why our Government is broke? Just because the grant money is out there does not mean it has to be spent.
  • by Jeff Location: New Bern on Oct 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    People would you please quit bashing the fire and medical services. These people are on call day and night to answer your calls for help. The give up their free time to help you. The purchase of this vehicle is only to help better serve the community. They dont ask for equipment they dont need or foresee needing. Joplin Missouri never planned for a tornado to do the damage it did to them. They are only trying to be prepared for the worse. Next time you see a firefighter or ems personnel just tell them thank you for the job they do and if you still want to complain then I suggest you join the ranks of these people and walk in there shoes for a while.
      by jk on Oct 29, 2011 at 06:03 PM in reply to Jeff
      Thank you...Still a wast.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:25 AM
    Can someone explain why a Country would refuse a GRANT? Then the city picked it up. 350 some thousand is alot of free money that I would think could have gone another direction.
  • by william Location: rocky mount on Oct 29, 2011 at 09:07 AM
    What an incredible waste. First hurricane comes through it will be flooded also.
  • by Alison Location: Newport on Oct 29, 2011 at 05:46 AM
    Born and raised here I have never known a use for this kind of vehicle.. The money should have been used for something else.
  • by Clem on Oct 29, 2011 at 05:35 AM
    Some folks will complain it takes too long to evacuate patients. Then when the equipment is obtained to improve this; they still complain.....you can not make everyone happy. THANKS Emergency personel for all you do!!
  • by ENC on Oct 29, 2011 at 05:24 AM
    J hit the nail on the head! That's one of the reasons this country is in decline.
  • by DP Location: eastern n c on Oct 29, 2011 at 03:44 AM
    Morehead really needs one more vehicle to add to its parade around the town. It will fit in good with fire trucks, police cars etc cruising around town. Oh yea the town will need a new building to house it. Be thankful the government want giving hospital ships !

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132827073 - witn.com/a?a=132827073