More Troubles For I-40 As Second Rock Slide Hits

There are more troubles for people who travel I-40 into Tennessee, another rock slide has struck--this time in North Carolina.

Earlier this week a massive rock slide just inside Tennessee shut down westbound lanes. TDOT officials say it could be weeks, maybe longer before the interstate reopens.

Today around noon, another slide occurred, this one at mile marker 7 in North Carolina. NCDOT says this slide isn't impacting traffic on I-40 because that portion of the interstate is already closed because of the earlier rock slide in Tennessee. In both cases, eastbound lanes are not affected.

Engineers are at the slide and are assessing the damage.

• by gravity on Feb 4, 2012 at 09:47 AM
    and this will keep happening...
  • by heading West on Feb 11 on Feb 4, 2012 at 06:13 AM
    Guess we will take the detour, after all things happen. Won't let this "rock" my world.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    You take dynamite and blow 'Mother Earth' up to build a rode through her. Remember the saying????? "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature".
  • by a Location: enc on Feb 3, 2012 at 09:05 PM
    This is a beautiful part of the country,hope gets cleared up soon.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Feb 3, 2012 at 02:23 PM
    Beautiful part of the country. Drove a truck through there many times. Once in the middle of night had some -- something hit my trailer. This was Pre cell phones and internet and all the GPS and wonderful technollogy. I just got in front on it. Found out about it a couple days later.
  • by Anon Location: Washington on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    I hope no one was hurt!
      by G on Feb 3, 2012 at 01:47 PM in reply to Anon
      The road was already closed because of the previous rock slide on the Tennessee side.
  • by Jeff Location: Gville on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    This is what happens as nature takes it's course on a road that was built next to a river. The road wasn't supposed to be there in the first place, go figure.
      by Vince on Feb 3, 2012 at 01:17 PM in reply to Jeff
      I'm confused..... are any roads supposed to be anywhere??

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138663744 - witn.com/a?a=138663744