Residents of eastern North Carolina affected by Hurricane Irene don't have much time left to visit one of the temporary Small Business Administration disaster centers.
The SBA says it's closing the centers at 5 p.m. on Friday, although victims of the Category 1 storm can still seek help by calling the agency or going online.
The centers were set up to help people apply for low-interest disaster loans. They're located in Beaufort, Craven, Pamlico and Dare counties.
A completed SBA loan application is necessary to be considered for some types of federal aid.
In the weeks since Irene tore through eastern North Carolina on its way up the coast, the SBA has given out nearly $35 million in low-interest disaster loans.
More than $64 million has been approved for disaster aid in North Carolina in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Wednesday more than 34,000 people in the state have sought help or information on disaster assistance since the Category 1 hurricane.
More than $24 million of the aid given out so far has been in the form of FEMA grants for temporary housing and the replacement of personal property. Nearly $35 million in low-interest disaster loans approved by the federal Small Business Administration have also been distributed.
Homeowners, renters and businesses applying for low-interest disaster loans from the SBA must do so by November 30th.
Copyright 2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.