Maury Corrections Officer Facing Drug Charges

An officer at Maury Correctional Institution in Hookerton is facing multiple drug charges after his arrest this weekend.

Greene County deputies say Edwin Edwards of Greenville is charged with possession of a controlled substance on prison premises, possessing drug paraphernalia, and providing tobacco to an inmate.

The 29-year-old Edwards was arrested Sunday night and his bond was set at $10,000 secured.

A sheriff's report says they seized about 1.3 ounces of marijuana from Edwards. The Department of Correction says officers found marijuana on Edwards and in his lunch bag.

Edwards, who had worked at Maury since June 2008, resigned on Monday.

The DOC says it happened during an unannounced drug interdiction at the prison. A spokesman says these are performed to keep drugs out of the prisons. All visitors, staff and vehicles entering the prison property are searched, with local law enforcement officers present.

• by L.Forte Location: Pamlico Correctional on Jun 6, 2011 at 08:17 PM
    People don't often talk about the good work others do,but i would like to say you are doing a great job at Mr.Herring .
  • by Devil Location: everywhere on Apr 6, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    Great job Mr. Herring flip on the lights and the roaches will run for cover. If you have never worn blue and stood in our shoes do not judge us. We keep Nc safe for little pay.
  • by J.L. Location: k-Town on Mar 22, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    I have read the comments these people have made against this former c/o and if 98% of you tried to get in heaven right now, you would get the door slammed in your face. In other words, think before you past judgement because your day is coming too
  • by maury c/o on Mar 20, 2011 at 05:28 PM
    What this man did was very bad for us c/os.But man I am telling u maury correctional is out of controll!!!!! I wish Mr daniels and his side kick mr herring would walk around and do something with these inmates ,just like they are doing with these c/os.I am scared their is going to be a escape because captains ,Lts ,sgts, managers never come on the floor.If they had more pride in their job c/os and inmates would be more under control.!!!!!
  • by Anonyomous Sister Location: wide awake on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Ok! Everybody is going in on him with really ignorant thoughts. Really! Never judge a book by its's cover. It kills me when people first here that someone has gotten caught with drugs that they are a thug! Well I have known him since he was about 10 years old, and he is not a thug! We grew up together! The devil is busy and it is very easy for the devil to take control over a young person as well as a older persons mind. Some of you CO's probably knew about the whole ordeal, and then when it went down you knew nothing, or trashed his name. I am not for what he did, but hey it is what it is and it has happened now. Everybody up here acts like this is the first time this has happened across the state. I feel that CO's jobs are very stressful because how is it that administration always believes the person locked up instead of believing their workers. OK Really what are the inamtes really their for? For Administration to trust them better than the workers. With that said, why knock a brother down when the best thing we can do for him is pray for him. Some of yall up here need to grow up, because I'm pretty sure you have done some things that were not legal but you just didn't get caught!
      by Lisa on Mar 22, 2011 at 09:45 AM in reply to Anonyomous Sister
      Amen sista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by 1whoquitDOC on Mar 17, 2011 at 04:37 PM
    Looks like DOC would screen the new hires better. Maury has the worst reputation for it to defend itself as having upstanding state employees. We need people that can keep the population under control and keep their jobs without being dismissed for use of force which is what it takes with these people. Do you really want them to let the inmates be in control like it is now? Oh, and don't forget to train the new c/o for what he is going to face in the future. Most new people don't stay long, lots of turnover, all the turnover is going to save DOC in future retirement benefits, but maybe that's their plan.
  • by clint on Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Maury Correctional Officer has a point. It is possible his family was threatened if he did not bring in contraband. If that is so he may keep quiet even now to protect his family. Protecting the family, if he tells on the prisoners, could be a logistical nightmare. Not saying that is what happened. Where would the inmates get enough cash to pay for the dope and make it profitable for the officer? Just some questions in my mind.
  • by c/o Location: KInston, NC on Mar 17, 2011 at 02:42 AM
    What about officer limbert? he got caught the same day too bringing tobacco in!
  • by Ignorance is NOT bliss Location: Newport, NC on Mar 16, 2011 at 04:34 PM
    It absolutely amazes me as I read through these posts. What is this world coming to? Half of you cannot even spell or use proper grammar. CO's are some of our quite heroes. I have a close family member who is a Sergeant, who takes pride in their work, who would never think about crossing the line between right and wrong. The man knows right from wrong, however, he chose to make what will probably be the biggest mistake of his career. There are no excuses for ignorance. And ignorance is NOT bliss...There are corrupt people in every line of work these days, it is sad this man was corrupt in a prison.
  • by CO and Proud Location: NC on Mar 16, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    First off I would like to say that this is the exception not the norm. There are plenty of good co's in NC and I am one of them. I take pride in what I do and do it well. This guy made a mistake and there is no excuse for it. HE BROKE THE LAW! Period. Not to mention letting down his fellow officers. Hopefully this will wake up the other bad apples before they decide to break the law as well. To my fellow CO's who are honest and hard working. Keep up the good work and be proud of what we do and that is protecting the public.
      by A C/O on Mar 30, 2011 at 03:29 PM in reply to CO and Proud
      I agree with this comment! I am also a c/o and I take pride at what I do. I feel that if you want to be on the inside w/the inmates the wrong way then break the law,but to go and become a c/o and become one of them than you deserve everything you get. It makes all the good co's look bad.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118004854 - witn.com/a?a=118004854