Martin County Holds Hearing About Hunting With Dogs

The issue of hunters using dogs for deer hunting brought out residents to a meeting in Martin County Thursday night as some property owners say some of those dogs are tearing up their property.

George Roberson told county commissioners, "I think we need hunting but we need respect and I am for hunting and for dog hunting but I'm also for respecting the landowner."

The treasurer of the hunting club in Oak City "Jump and Run"- feels any property damage is not intentional and most hunters respect property owners.

Roberson says "It's a people problem not a dog problem."

County commissioners say this was a listening session because they had received complaints, but the county cannot impose hunting regulations. They can only write and vote on a resolution, which then must be passed by the state legislature.

The commissioners say they will come up with a solution and inform the community when the next meeting will be held about the issue.

PREVIOUS STORY:

Martin County commissioners will hold a hearing Thursday on the controversial issue of hunting with dogs while on private property.

The issue is sparked by angered homeowners who have deer roam their property while the dog's owner is hunting.

The meeting will be held at the Martin County Auditorium at 7 p.m. Registration to speak begins at 6 p.m.

Martin County Manager Russell Overman says the session will hear arguments over the broad issue of hunting with dogs, and there is no specific resolution being considered at this time. Also, county commissioners cannot impose hunting regulations. They can write and vote on a resolution, which then must be passed by the state legislature.

• by P.O. ed Location: Martin on Nov 25, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    I am through trying to deal with these inbred yahoos and their freak dogs. This year, am going to court and getting restraining order against local hunt club and have any arrested who violate it.
  • by -- Common Sense -- Location: -- Lost -- on Jul 2, 2011 at 06:03 PM
    Oh November and December, The cool days I do remember. For most the holidays are here, And a chance for the hunter to bag a deer. Family coming by, Winter clouds hang in the sky. Collecting firewood by the load, Hunters trucks blocking the road. Trying to get ready for the Christmas bash, Stray hunting dogs tearing into our trash. Kids dressing up warm to go out and play, Hope they don’t get hit by a bullet that went stray. Hanging up the Christmas lights, Trying hard to avoid fights, With hunters who stop and whine, Because we put up a posted sign. Trying to enjoy the holiday cheer, Thru my yard hunting dogs chase a deer. Mama wraps a present, I talk to a hunter who is very unpleasant. Mama makes cookies and tea, The hunter is upset that I ask him to leave my property. But soon the season will pass, And with it the dogs and trucks that trespass. For January will be here, And the landowner can rest till the end of the year. To my fellow landowner man, Have a very merry Christmas if you can !!
  • by Anonymous on May 31, 2011 at 08:45 AM
    i like rednecks and trailers....
  • by Let's change this State on May 8, 2011 at 06:20 AM
    If you dislike dog hunting make sure your representatives in the house and senate know... They will pretend to not care about your issue.. Let them know you are up to date on their lobbyist dealings and you are holding them accountable for change.. Make a difference and let's create a better NC. One not filled with rednecks and trailers....
  • by Teddy Location: Robersonville on Apr 21, 2011 at 07:36 PM
    I didn't know about the meeting but glad to see it's generating discussion. As a horse farm owner, I don't like deer hounds flushing deer out from my woods behind my pastures and house only to chase them back and forth across my yard and pasture upsetting my horses and other farm animals. Hunters that I've spoken to about the problem have kindly collected their dogs as soon as was possible, left and have not come back. A little respect on both sides goes a long way.
  • by just saying on Apr 20, 2011 at 07:06 AM
    i have never see anyone riding a horse that looked like he had been a week without being fed. but these deer dogs i see walking up and down the roads do'nt look like they have been cared for. plus you do'nt hear about people fussing about horse control.
  • by Farmland to be bought on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:21 PM
    "N.C. group raising $250M to buy farmland" 4/16/2011 So sorry deer dog hunters... Another rich investor is buying up all of your lease land... I guess you should have bought land. Oh wait, you're to poor...
      by Still hunter on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:53 PM in reply to Farmland to be bought
      I hope you will lease it to still hunters.
      by god on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:32 PM in reply to Farmland to be bought
      an so r u or u buy it for ur self o wait y r we worried for will just wait till u cant pay the taxes on it buy it for less ha ha
        by woe on Apr 19, 2011 at 02:25 AM in reply to god
        I,m sure you can. you posted your comment at 2:32am because you do,nt have to work today, are do you even have a job, if so a bet you,re work real hard today. GO FOR IT.
          by god on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:08 AM in reply to woe
          i was at work when i sent it an still am haha
      by demon on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM in reply to Farmland to be bought
      All this started with two pot heads one seats on the board the other has horses an i still cant figure out y the board member never got charged an his water truck was found at the pot field on his land go figure now what shouldwe do about that
        by tell all on Apr 19, 2011 at 02:33 AM in reply to demon
        please tell more of the story,
  • by IC Location: Roper on Apr 17, 2011 at 06:44 AM
    We need to take a poll of the individuals that have complaints. It would be interesting to see if they are life time residents or those individuals that have migrated into the area and want to change things. We also do not want to discriminate against deer hunters. We have several other groups that dog hunt, bear, fox, rabbit, bird, coyote, etc. I know that some of those listed do not cover the area that deer hounds do, but bear and fox do. So be sure we do not discriminate against the deer hounds. For those of you that hunt animals other than deer with dogs, you can be assured if they are successful on restricting deer hunting with dogs you will be next. I am a deer hunter and I still/stand hunt when I wish to kill a deer. I use dogs to deer hunt just as other hunters use dogs to hunt fox, bear, etc. The one outcome of this is that all hunters need to ban together. There are those that want all hunting banned and the way they get that is one step at a time.
      by The Truth on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:39 AM in reply to IC
      You need to get a clue. It's about private property rights,....not who has moved in or who was born in NC. And as far as coonhunters,rabbit hunters,etec.....no one is complaining about them. It has been shown that in other states ,when the deer hunters are brought in line,....the problems go away.
      by IC is wrong on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:15 PM in reply to IC
      Just because no one wants your trashy deer dogs and you around don't try and include the good hunters with dogs.. Rabbitt hunters, bird, coon etc. are fine they do not trspass like your untrained deer dogs...
        by god on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:11 PM in reply to IC is wrong
        have u yet seen any dog that goes hey look buddies there a posted sign we cant go there not me cause dogs dont read stupid an u knows this man duh
          by oh boy on Apr 18, 2011 at 07:30 PM in reply to god
          you must have proud parents. now i see why lions eat their yound
  • by jm Location: williamston on Apr 17, 2011 at 05:04 AM
    You no D way I look at it is one of d people complaining about riding his horses and coming up ond hunters DONT EVEN OWN THE LAND. He is coplaing because him and his friends cant ride their horses on land they dont own, and someone else has leased it jus for hunting,but they want to say d hunter is in d wrong. I DONT THINK SO BUDDY. U need to deal with it r find somewhere else to ride your horse during hunting season
      by still hunter on Apr 17, 2011 at 05:32 PM in reply to jm
      now you know how we feel when your DOGS get on land we leased to hunt. you're going to find out the hard way. ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME. this is'nt going away. you cannot control your dogs and people are fed up with it. GET OVER IT.
        by still hunter on Apr 18, 2011 at 09:01 AM in reply to still hunter
        i rent land to still hunt on, the land owner will not rent to dog hunters, but if he cannot control dogs on his land will have to reduce price. we have talked about this and he is fed up with dog hunters too.
      by Anonymous on Apr 18, 2011 at 06:54 AM in reply to jm
      You both are wrong. Stay horses or dogs,...makes no difference. Stay off unwelcomed property.
        by I love horses... on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:22 PM in reply to
        I hate deer dog hunters....
          by god on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:39 PM in reply to I love horses...
          i hate horses love dogs
          by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:17 AM in reply to I love horses...
          can't love horses to much you people put a 400 lb on his back and make him run with it , some of you people need to leave the horse in the stall and yourself and yall talk about being cruel
      by JustMe on Apr 18, 2011 at 01:29 PM in reply to jm
      This is just another example of what the LAND OWNERS are dealing with!
      by learn to write, hick on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:18 PM in reply to jm
      Go back to school and learn to write... Deer dog huntes are not to bright...
        by ok on Apr 19, 2011 at 04:45 AM in reply to learn to write, hick
        i know
      by We don't care what you think Jim on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:25 PM in reply to jm
      Keep your mutts off my land...
  • by Anonymous Location: Jamesville, Martin County on Apr 14, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    I'm sick of seeing strange trucks going through my yard like it is a race track. I don't like the dogs and I can't bear to hear them barking. I hope that the dog hunting will be done away with. It is cruel to the animals that the dogs hunt and cruel to the dogs and much more cruel to me who have to be a witness to this mess. No respect at all for people's property much less their feelings about people not bringing their stupid and ugly streaked dogs up here where I live....where lots of us live. Children can't walk in their own yards without a hunter bothering me and everyone else here.
      by jm on Apr 17, 2011 at 05:16 AM in reply to
      You no it's a people problem not a dog problem. Ipm 38 and been huntig since I was about 4 when I first went hunting with my dad(man were they great times). I still hunt and run dogs and I LOVE IT. Now I tell u some of these hunters dont hav respect for anyone but theirselves and their dogs.These r the ones causing d problems. They dont no how to get out of the middle of the road, and dont care whos land they throw thier dogs own.There is a differance when u r hunting and your dogs get 5 miles down d road and own somedody elses land, than jus throwing them out on land u no u r not supposed to b on. If the law would enforce wat we already hav n place it would make a BIG differance.I hav enough respect dat if my dogs get on land I dont hav permission to b on I will wait till they cross r get complely off d road and call them out.I,M TELLING U SUM OF D HUNTERS JUS DONT GIVE A RATS BUTT ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THEM AND THEY R THE ONES THAT MAKE IT BAD FOR EVERYONE ELSE
        by It's "you know" not "you no"... on Apr 18, 2011 at 05:27 PM in reply to jm
        learn to read and write Jim.....You should be ashamed at 38 yrs old to write like a 3rd grader....

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118974894 - witn.com/a?a=118974894