Marine Widow: Bin Laden's Death Justifies Military Families' Sacrifices

The news of Osama bin Laden's death hit close to home for a marine widow who's husband was killed in Afghanistan just over a year ago.

Rachel Porto is marking her second wedding anniversary.This is also the second wedding anniversary alone. Her husband Corporal Jonathan Porto was killed in Afghanistan fighting the war on terror 10 months after they were married.

"He served his purpose he gave the ultimate sacrifice and fulfilled what he thought was his calling in life too his country," said Porto.

Corporal Porto also sacrificed meeting his daughter Arianna, but he's never been far from her life.

"She's just always going to know about him. There's no way she's going to go without knowing about her dad and what a hero he is to us and how much he loved her," said Porto.

Rachel says she's always been proud of Johnny, as she calls him, and felt satisfaction when she heard the news of Osama bin Laden's death.

"I feel so bad saying it ,but it was a good feeling. I didn't need a reminder. I've always, I've always been proud of him. I've been proud to be a marine wife. I've been proud to be a marine corps widow," said Porto.

Rachel says bin Laden's death gives justification to all the men, women, and families who have and are sacrificing fighting the War on Terror.

Rachel says she hopes people continue to support military families, especially those who still have loved ones overseas.

• by Patriot Location: USA on May 9, 2011 at 05:44 PM
    I have an idea. Let's not have a military and just let the terrorists come and invade the country and capture "Formerly the voice." Then we'll check back in and see how he feels about it.
      by Formerly THE Voice on May 9, 2011 at 06:46 PM in reply to Patriot
      In your dreams, Captain America. The terrorists are already here. All you have to do is consider where you live- "The Nation's Most Military Friendly State". Figure it out, genius.
  • by Proud Army Sis Location: San Francisco, CA on May 7, 2011 at 01:01 PM
    You don't have to agree with America's wars to support those who die fighting for ideals like free speech. E-thuggery is a shameful disease, and people like THE VOICE & Anti-Military don't understand the hardships that lead to many enlistees joining up. It's easy to criticize from a position of privilege, and it's harder to accept that the word is imperfect, and there are people dedicated to making it a better place thru military service. Shame on you for spitting on this Marine's grave, people like him are the buffers that allow you to whine and moan anonymously from behind a computer. Semper Fi!
      by Formerly THE Voice on May 9, 2011 at 06:44 PM in reply to Proud Army Sis
      PAS, that is pretty bold talk from this area. as we told your "heroes" several years ago, "...we do not want you here." Making the world better through military service? I read that asinine comment and laughed.
        by PROUD ARMY SIS on May 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM in reply to Formerly THE Voice
        Bold and true statements! You're just a typical elitist snob from the Bay Area, spouting hatred from behind a computer at people who've never done anything to you, and would die and have died so you can continue to hold your contemptuous position of power. What's your contribution to the world besides hatred and e-thuggery? Probably not much. Keep on whining, and my brother and others like him will keep on serving this country, doing all of the things that privileged buffoons like you don't have the courage to do. Pretty hilarious that you attack women and dead marines online while ranting about your "career." People don't enlist to become "heroes" they enlist because our country needs people like them to do the dirty work that allows drones like yourself to continue to buy into the hype that you're holier than thou, and somehow more deserving than people who will never have the privileges that you did. Despite knowing this they still fight for you and still believe that this is a country worth fighting for and nothing you can say will ever change my pride in my brother, his brothers and sisters in the service, or my country. Yes our country is imperfect, and yes like many other countries, we've done terrible things across the world, but the people serving don't have anything to do with what the powers that be choose to engage our country in. Thanks, I hope you have a great day!
  • by PROUD Marines Girl. Location: California on May 6, 2011 at 07:14 AM
    I was going to write a mean comment for the people who have embarassed themselves by posting hateful comments...but I've decided to take a different route. Rachel, I am proud of you, your daughter, and both of your families. I am proud of your husband. People like you are the backbone of this nation, and I will forever be thanking you for the great sacrifice you have made. Bin Ladens death was just the beginning! I believe in Karma, and people get what they deserve. These Anti-Military people must remember, there is a reason they have the freedom to speak such ugly words. THANK GOD FOR OUR MILITARY! I tried to be nice, but I must say- If yall were smart...You'd know to NEVER EVER mess with a man who was trained to Kill-in battles, and with words. (or thir women.) Semper Fi Rachel <3
  • by PROUD MARINE DAD Location: GREENVILLE NC on May 5, 2011 at 08:56 AM
    THE VOICE! I do not know how much you love your country but with comments like you are making sounds like you need to move out of the USA!!! My son fights for your freedom every day and he is "MY Hero". And how about the innocent people the were MURDERED on 9/11? So i'm going to end this and say take your A__ back to what ever country your from because we DO NOT WANT YOU HERE!!!!!!!!!
  • by Anti-military Location: Right under your nose on May 4, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    Voice, I have to say that has to be one of the best posts I've read since the bin Laden hoax and mandatory flag waving nonsense began Sunday night. If anyone can tell off these self righteous "militaristic feminists" (LOL), it is you! Good job!
  • by Formerly THE Voice Location: Berkeley, CA on May 4, 2011 at 04:19 PM
    PMW, I don't worship anyone. It is YOU who should be thanking the taxpayers for your husband's employment. You are simply excess baggage. Naturally, your patriotism soaked mentality can only come up with an insult for simply voicing an opinion, as do all of you who worship your "heroes". I have never and will never support your "heroes". It is the same old tired rhetoric from you flag waving spouses. You DO NOT wear your husband's rank. And, incidentally, I would LOVE to "...question the honor of a fallen marine to a widow's face,...". I have, and it felt so good to actually confront you militaristic feminists. However, I will end this here. I have a career to rely on instead of being a meal ticket and along for the benefit ride. Keep your patriotic welfare. I have better things to do.
  • by Proud Marine Wife Location: NC on May 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    @ Formerly the voice.... You should be worshipping the ground these marines walk on for giving you the right to have and speak your stupid opinions without being stoned to death.... I doubt you would have the gull to question the honor of a fallen marine to a widows face, if you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them
  • by Formerly THE Voice on May 3, 2011 at 07:43 PM
    Typical north carolina military worshiping, right wing comment. america- love it or leave it. Wrap yourself in the flag and save your tired rhetoric for your "heroes".
  • by Proud American on May 3, 2011 at 05:01 PM
    @Formerly THE VOICE from good old Berkeley, CA. If you don't like this country, go move somewhere else.
  • by Formerly THE Voice Location: Berkeley, CA on May 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    Right. We must not forget our "heroes", even if international law and murder were committed.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121126224 - witn.com/a?a=121126224