Marine Dies In Combat Before Meeting Infant Son

Two Marines from the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment at Camp Lejeune were killed in combat over the weekend. Reports say one was a young father who never had a chance to meet his newborn son.

The Department of Defense announced Monday that 21-year-old Cpl. Jacob A. Tate of Columbus, Ohio, died Jan. 2 in combat in Helmand province.

The newspaper in Tate's hometown, the Columbus Dispatch, says Tate leaves behind his wife Amy in North Carolina and a son he never met. The newspaper says friends believe the baby boy was about three months old.

Another Marine from the same battalion was killed Saturday. The Pentagon says Lance Cpl. Maung Htaik was from Hagerston, Md.

• by Professor Location: Eastern NC on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:50 AM
    May you rest in the arms of Almighty GOD, Blessed are the peacemakers for they will see GOD. I salute your service and your sacrifice for our country. No matter who doesn't support you, we the american citizens support our troops, and your service will not be forgotten nor go unmentioned. May GOD comfort the families of those who we have lost, I pray our country will wake up and start taking better care of our troops.
  • by Joanne Location: Goldsboro on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    How sad. My heart goes out to this family. Many, many thanks to our brave Marine who has given the ultimate sacrifice. And many thanks to all who are still protecting us here at home.
  • by Keith Grant Location: Bozeman on Jan 4, 2011 at 09:44 AM
    God Bless You Jacob, you 'are' the Best Son-In-Law a father could ever hope for his daughter. We will continue our mission here and see you soon. We Love you and will miss you forever.......your father in law...........Keith
  • by Anonymous on Jan 4, 2011 at 09:43 AM
    How can anyone make any sense out this terrible tragedy? My prayer is that God would just comfort this family right now and that the Prince of Peace would put His loving arms of comfort around them during this horrrible time-I cannot even begin to imagine what they are going through.
  • by wendy Location: k-town on Jan 4, 2011 at 08:48 AM
    Amy my heart goes out to you I will keep you and your son in my prayers. I'm sorry your son will never get to meet his fater but just keep him alive in your hearts.......may God Bless you and your family in your time of need. God please bring our boys home!!!!!
  • by Mike Location: Richlands on Jan 4, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    I absolutely hate when this happens. Happened to a few of my friends, nothing makes me more mad about this war. God bless this Marine's family.
  • by Brenda Location: Pitt County on Jan 4, 2011 at 07:58 AM
    Thouhts and prayers to this brave soldiers family. To his wife and son may you find peace. God Bless you soldier for giving the ultimate sacrifice. God Speed.
  • by God Bless on Jan 4, 2011 at 06:38 AM
    God Bless you and your family, soldier. Thank you for all that you have done to protect our freedom. RIP.
  • by JT Location: Washington on Jan 4, 2011 at 06:35 AM
    Helmand is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan. It is in the southwest of the country.
  • by Bring 'em home on Jan 4, 2011 at 06:00 AM
    Bring our boys home!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112857429 - witn.com/a?a=112857429