Marine Charged After Young Son Mauled By Pit Bull

A Camp Lejeune Marine is charged after deputies say his 22 month old son was mauled by a pit bull.

Brennan Listle of Horse Shoe Bend Road is charged with negligent child abuse involving serious bodily injury and contributing to a juvenile being abused and neglected.

Deputies say on Monday evening the 20-year-old Listle was in his front yard with some friends and allowed his young son to play alone in the backyard without any adult supervision. A nine month old German Shepherd and a 17 month old pit bull were in the back yard with the toddler. Deputies say the pit bull was secured on a 10 foot cable.

Deputies say the father checked on his son after about 10 minutes and found the child face down, unconscious with the pit bull mauling him. The child was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital where he underwent two surgeries. The injuries included neck fractures to the cervical spine and the child will need skin grafting to fix external wounds.

Listle turned himself in on Friday and was jailed on a $250,000 bond. His first court appearance is scheduled for Monday morning.

• by ff Location: jville on Feb 17, 2011 at 06:37 AM
    Does anyone know the family? I do A you only heard one account a crooked ads detective. Listle feels bad enough even tried to kill the dog. How do I know I stopped him he immediately turned the dog over as well. Oh and btw the paper and sheriffs department have even the injury facts wrong hell some of the papers have him in jail still he was nvr in jail he was there for booking and walked out to go back to pitt to be with his son
  • by A on Feb 16, 2011 at 04:22 PM
    Seriously!! Can we stop focusing on the breed of dog and focus on the fact that the dad neglected his child so he could socialize with friends. Yes, obviously there was issues with the dog or it wouldnt have been chained up. SO why did this dad allow his child to be left alone with the dogs? Bad judgement..poor dad....NO, bad parenting and that poor child will be scarred for life physically and mental. Freaking idiot!
  • by N/A on Feb 15, 2011 at 08:21 AM
    People need to see the situation for what it is; a horrific accident. A bad judgement call on the father? yes but i'm sure he feels horrible about it. The news station never has the whole story i'm sure there's more to it then anyone knows or understands. The family has to go threw this whole ordeal so why attack them anymore? As for the dog any breed can be dangerous and bite or attack you can't just wipe out an entire breed. I can't beleive that the parents 0f the boy would keep the dog after this happening.
  • by pit bull owner Location: continued, again on Feb 10, 2011 at 01:45 PM
    so in conclusion to my long post... Let's try to fix the problem with the beginning of the problem being the "humans" who neglect, fight and breed them. If you want to see change, GO AFTER THESE PEOPLE! stop ignoring it. These fighters are breeding more pups with this demeanor and mindset and selling them to your neighbors. REPORT THEM! It is nice when people can rehab these dogs, but euthanasia is sometimes the best option. There are some things worse than death, and being a fighting or bait dog is one of them. Please be mindful of how you portray others. You do not know our stories, you do not know our situations. I find it quite hurtful that some posters on this site could take my beloved pet from me, euthanize them, and sleep at night. Think about what your anger is doing to you. My suggestion: if you see neglect, abuse, criminal activity, etc, report it. If you think that euthanizing my dog is the answer, you are starting in the wrong place.
  • by pit bull owner Location: continued on Feb 10, 2011 at 01:38 PM
    If we want to get serious about this breed, we have to get serious about those who fight them and those who breed them. IT is no question that i love this breed. It is also no question that i think they need regulation. a dog chained up is 2.6 times more likely to bite. Unfortunately most of these dogs are pit bulls and their mixes. People just don't care. you can't chain a high engery dog up like that. What are people thinking? Get these pit bulls away from these thugs and irresponsible owners. Get these pit bulls away from fighters and breeders. Some people deserve no rights. If you chain it or leave it penned up, you shouldn't be allowed to have it, period. Though i don't agree with a lot of these posts, i am not ignorant to the problem. Something should be done. There have been other dogs in American history who have been the major cause of dog bites and dog fatalities other than the pit bull terrier. Luckily, most of the traits were bred out of them.
  • by pit bull owner on Feb 10, 2011 at 01:30 PM
    I would LOVE to see the pit bull population die out. The pit bull population has gotten out of control. The most irresponsible people are those who own them. These PEOPLE with these dogs have become a danger to society. I don't even walk my pit bull because i worry about others who don't secure their dogs properly. My dogs are walked with a muzzle and if they were ever attacked by another pit bull, they would kill mine. Owning pit bulls has been a big responsibility. I don't have children and probobly won't while i have them; not because i don't trust them, but if they were to "bite", chances are it would be much worse than other dogs. It is unfortunate for owners such as myself who suffer b/c of the irresponsibility of others. Fact is, most pit bull owners aren't like me. Sometimes I wish this breed would have never been introduced. It is unfair to the dogs, it is unfair to the victims. Sometimes i think BSL would protect the dog, and people, but it may make it worse.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 10, 2011 at 07:28 AM
    To anyone calling a "pit" a wild animal...they aren't wild they are domesticated. But people who say that "pits" are not a dangerous animal are obviously in denial. I own an american staffordshire terrier and did a lot of research on them before getting mine. I personally do not think "pits" should be banned...just regulate who can buy them.
  • by jay Location: enc on Feb 9, 2011 at 03:22 AM
    I believe it all goes to how a dog is trained and treated. I have a family member in law enforcement who was bitten by two pomerianians.I have two dogs and when people ask me if they bite, I always answer yes, they have teeth. It may sound comical but it is true. On a serious note, my prayers are with this family. I pray the child and the family have a speedy recovery.
  • by snowbird on Feb 8, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    People that blame pit bulls for the problems are morons that don't know any better.
  • by eric here on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:56 AM
    Tragic event I hope the boy recovers. Dumb parent messed up big, and of course everyone is attacking pits. Not sure if anyone read the article about the 15 year old kids robbing and shooting a guy; but they used a gun, obviously acquired it quite easily, and fired several shots at most likely an unarmed man. Maybe they should ban guns, maybe they should gas guns, and maybe they should do away with guns. Ban this, kill that, but when they try to ban cell phones, TO SAVE LIVES, while driving u go crazy. I think it goes something like this, banning pit bulls is just a way for the government to take our rights away next it will b our cats and fish(sarcasm of course, don’t need people telling me u cant gas guns and so on and so forth). Get real people don’t b hypocrites. And the only one at fault here is the negligent parent. No one knows if the child provoked the dog in some way, any dog that is provoked will most likely bite and or maul. But all that aside I hope this kid comes out fine.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115321724 - witn.com/a?a=115321724