March Held To Protest Richardson Guilty Verdict

Around 40 people marched the streets of Greenville Saturday afternoon protesting the guilty verdict in the double murder trial of James Richardson.

Richardson was found guilty Wednesday in a drive-by shooting resulting in the deaths of Landon Blackley and Andrew Kirby.

According to Richardson's sister, Sharon Perkins, she says, "We're here today on behalf of James Richardson, the unrighteousness that's been done in the courtroom."

A day after the jury found Richardson guilty one juror, Lamuel Anderson, spoke out saying he was coerced by other jurors to go with the guilty verdict.

The protestors want a mistrial to be declared, but Pitt County District Attorney Clark Everett said Thursday, "The juror was personally polled and ascended every question, that was his verdict and as I understand the law the jury's verdict stands."

But these protestors say they will not give up, Katrina Howard said, "We know in the end we will win."

• by Darrell Gibbs Location: Greenville on Apr 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    The black community needs to grow up and get a life. Just because u were black doesnt mean ur innocent and allowed to act like a fool. No excuse. Just that simple.
  • by JusticeForAll on Apr 11, 2011 at 09:04 PM
    The only protesting about this that should be happening is to protest the fact that the Prosecutor took the death penalty option off the table. This man was found guilt of 2 cold-blooded murders. He is a "defective unit" and deserves to be "sent back to the manufacturer"...
      by RM on Apr 12, 2011 at 05:44 PM in reply to JusticeForAll
      AMEN
  • by Anonymous on Apr 11, 2011 at 08:23 PM
    Well I am black also Dani and AnotherBlkWmn and I believe he is innocent, not because of his race, but because the facts do not prove he did it. I am the first one to say I dislike my own race. One the comments both of you made. Where you there? No So how do you know he is guilty. Was I there? No!! Yet I am not making harsh comments about this man, so white people can like me.
      by AnotherBlkWmn on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:34 AM in reply to
      No anonymous I was not there!!! and as you put it "Yet I am not making harsh comments about this man, so white people can like me". I am a Grown Black Woman that has traveled the world, you may not know this but there is a world outside of Greenville NC. I do not have to make comments so other races will like me. I speak the truth and if the truth hurts you GET A LIFE, If you are so blinded to society and cannot ascertain that there is black on black crime being committed and all of our Black males are being killed...then you certainly are not facing reality. I have been a victim of black on black crime and the harsh reality that it happens. I say to you Yes he may be innocent in the fact that he may not have pulled the trigger but he is not innocent in the fact that he knows what really happened.... Get real and try to build up our community and stop being so racist. Now run and tell that!!!!!
        by RUSerious? on Apr 12, 2011 at 02:28 PM in reply to AnotherBlkWmn
        I somewhat agree....
      by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM in reply to
      well you say you think he is innocent and then you say you were not there and you dont know, well which is it? you remind me of a certain juror
        by Gray on Apr 12, 2011 at 02:35 PM in reply to
        Get real anonymous and read the complete paragraph. Whether or not he is innocent or guilty is not the factor now. A JURY of his peers has made that decision. Personally I could care less. I must agree with AnotherBlkWoman when she says we should be marching for something that will make a difference in our community ( I am black also, so I guess I am also making this statement so white people will LIKE me). Really if you are not part of the solution then you yourself must be part of the problem.
  • by Fred Garvin Location: Winterville on Apr 11, 2011 at 07:43 PM
    So why did Lamuel vote to convict, and when polled by the judge, sustain that vote? He had two chances to vote his conscience. My belief is that he did so both times and has now succumbed to pressure from friends and family. Kudos to the other black juror who stated that Lamuel was not coerced at all. What would happen if white people protested every verdict against a white killer/robber/rapist/etc? This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with overwhelming evidence.
  • by Kathy Location: Greenville, NC on Apr 11, 2011 at 02:26 PM
    I am deeply saddened and removed by the overtly racist comments I am reading. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty or even thou shall not judge. People racism is alive and well. We fall for anythinb, but won't stand for nothing. I long for the day that this world exist no more nd the second death is a thing of the past. These comments are so racist...That it makes my soul ache for some of you. If you are so confident in your believes and are not ashame of your ignorance...give your real names.
      by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 at 02:29 PM in reply to Kathy
      Kathy, what happened to innocent until proven guilty ??? He WAS PROVEN GUILTY girl. The courts did their job.
  • by really on Apr 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    marching to save a now convicted killer and a known dealer... what is wrong with our community
  • by Brutus Location: Greenville on Apr 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Sreiously WITN, I wish you would stop covering this story unless there is legal matter to cover. Cover the appeal or any other legal issue, but stop covering these lunatics that spew noting but racial issues. 40 people marching about a decision made UNANIMOUSLY is not a story. It's done and legally over and just because a certain portin of the community doesn't agree doesn't mean their opinions should even be covered. Please covering these stories until something legal occurs in this case.
      by Brutus on Apr 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM in reply to Brutus
      The last sentence should have read, "Please stop covering these stories until something legal occurs in this case."
  • by Really on Apr 11, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    Oh this march is just a joke! They've got to be kidding me and if they think they are "going to win," I hope they think again. He's got off the death penalty, they ought to be happy about that. What a bunch of losers and that's including his supporters!!!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 11, 2011 at 07:26 AM
    How horrifying and painful this must all be for Drew and Landon's family and friends.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 11, 2011 at 07:26 AM

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119537814 - witn.com/a?a=119537814