Man Tased After Police Chase

A man had to be tased after police say he led them on a chase down a busy Pitt County highway this afternoon.

Troopers spotted Mike Williams of Stokes driving down the wrong side of Brighton Boulevard in Greenville. They tried to stop him and that's when his pickup truck ran into the front of trooper's cruiser. They chased the man down Highway 43 and onto Highway 264. During the chase troopers say Williams used his turn signals along with way. They say the man got off onto Highway 11. That's when he stopped and a deputy sheriff tased him after they say he failed to comply with authorities.

Williams was charged with driving the wrong way, failure to stop, along with resist delay and obstruct. Troopers say Williams told them he didn't know anyone was chasing him.

• by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2011 at 08:39 AM
    Hello! My name is Mike and I take my medication and am under Dr.s care as the law reqiers. I have a wonderful and buetiful wife and daughter. I have been under a lot of stress looking for work. I am a lice sned electrician and I love what I do. What happened to me on the 28th of FEB I had no control over and no seizure patient on the highway does. My Uncle Howard Manning Jr. was shot and killed at the bank by office depo making a deposit for the grocery store that the office depo used to be in 1982. So instead of being worried about a law abiding citizen that had never been arrested and has worked his whole life and is saved through the blood of my savior JESUS CHRIST why don't you worry about why the law is letting 2 murderes walk among us for the last 29 yrs! I love you all! and God be with you!
  • by leo Location: greenville on Mar 2, 2011 at 06:36 PM
    To Wow, I think it would be safe to say you have no law enforcement training, based on your comment. The story stated the driver struck a patrol vehicle, refused to stop after several miles being followed by several patrol vehicles operating emergency equip., and did not follow commands once he stopped. Officers in this exact situation have been shot and killed after giving commands to a non-compliant driver after a chase, when the driver left his door open and reached in, secured a rifle, and shot the officer. Not to mention, this incident occurred at a busy intersection with heavy traffic at that time of day. The officers would have been criticized if they did not act and the driver got back into his vehicle, began another chase and killed another civilian. Once stopped, the officers could not allow him to enter the vehicle again. Due to the heavy traffic, wrestling him to the ground would have been dangerous to everyone. Perhaps, before you criticize, be qualified to comment.
  • by Family Location: Sanford on Mar 1, 2011 at 05:11 PM
    Let me tell you people something....Most of you need to get a life...Why does this seem to be a such a joke.This is a family member of mine that I love dearly. He has a medical condition but not bad enough for him not to drive...If you dont know him quit assuming you know his life...and for you FEDUP have you had seizures before?? If not then you need to shut up and get a life!!!!! People like you make me SICK.... This is a great person we are talking about and he does not deserve your comments at ALL!!! Maybe one day something bad will happen to you and then everyone will have a shot at you...See how it feels when you are in his place...BY THE WAY HIS NAME IS MIKE FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CAN'T READ!!!!!!
  • by Darren Location: Kill Devil Hills on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    I just don't understand how anyone, regardless of any medical issue does not know that the law is going after them, especially if it covers at least a few miles. In something like that, you would think the officer would have his siren on, but it does'nt say whether he did or not.
  • by really?? on Mar 1, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    to: wow. come on use your head. Medical issues or not when a person does not listen to commands to get on the ground, get your hands up etc... that person is showing intention to resist in some way. a tazer is the safest way to defuse the situation. approaching a standing non compliant suspect puts a officer at risk of being struck or worse the suspect having a weapon. That is the purpose of a tazer.
  • by Wow on Mar 1, 2011 at 06:16 AM
    He got tased??? What directions did he not follow? Did he pose a threat to the officers after he stopped his vehicle? The taser may have been a little much in this situation.
  • by whew Location: greenville on Mar 1, 2011 at 02:22 AM
    Thank god they caught him before he rammed into a storefront.
  • by No one Location: Eastern NC on Feb 28, 2011 at 09:04 PM
    He might not have known but I bet that taser jolted his brain. Wonder if he is diabetic or has seizures.....but apparently he wasn't sick or disabled enough to not be able to drive. Thankfully, the law officers were able to end this without anyone being seriously injured and/or killed. Good job fellas.
  • by Know the story on Feb 28, 2011 at 07:34 PM
    Perhaps people should be focused on themselves verses this issue. Do we know the full story? NO we do not. Perhaps he has a medical condition that would cause him to not be fully alert. Maybe he has a new condition that he was not aware of. Ultimately, the police were doing their job (and I thank them for that). The public should be more concerned about the fact he is a human being and perhaps he needs help. Ultimately, we should all be more focused on helping people than making fun or light of a person in need.
  • by Brian Location: Windsor on Feb 28, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    "He didn't know they were chasing him." Did he know that he was being tasered YUUUUUUUPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117088793 - witn.com/a?a=117088793