Man Steals From Store, Kicks Deputy

A New Bern man has been arrested after he ran from an officer, stole from a convenience store, and then kicked a deputy.

It all started when an officer responded to a call of a suspicious person in the area of Hwy 70 near Roberts Road in Newport around 1 p.m. Sunday.

The officer located Offie Brown, Jr. He went to go talk to Brown, but Brown ran into the intersection and refused to move, blocking traffic.

The officer says Brown then turned and walked into a nearby Trade Mart. As the officer pulled into the Trade Mart a store clerk exited and said Brown had just stolen some items from inside the store.

The officer attempted to take Brown into custody, but Brown became aggressive and started fighting. He broke the mirror on the patrol car. Finally the officer was able to handcuff him.

A Carteret County Sheriff's deputy came to assist. While they were placing Brown in a car Brown kicked the deputy.

Brown is now facing several charges including larceny and resisting a public officer.

He has a lengthy record in Pitt and Craven Counties. He was recently released from the Craven County jail. He is now back in jail.

• by Anne Location: New Bern on Jan 9, 2012 at 01:29 PM
    I had the pleasure of facing this nut case last week at my job,he came through the door,and let me tell you,I was scared,his eyes were bulging out his head,he left and then came back,I had the sixth sense to lock the doors.Wow glad he will be behind locked doors,this man is dangerous.
  • by ralphie Location: ahoskie on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    I do not recall particulars, but I am sure I have read of this person before, if only because "how many people do you meet with a name of OFFIE?" Is that like, offie the rockery?
  • by MrTrouble Location: Morehead City on Jan 9, 2012 at 06:41 AM
    The media is saying this man has a lengthy criminal record and obviously he has issues but the reality is that the night before this incident he entered a local fast food business and was very threatning to staff. He argued the price for the food was to high and made statements to the effect he would return when they closed. The staff felt threatened and feared he would return. Now imagine being 16 years old and have this career criminal in your face making statements to the effect you may be in harms way. You then ask is this minimum wage job worth dying for. I know first hand because that was my kid who was one of those working. If the court decides to release this man back out in the community, I hope the seating Judge will take him home with him/her because they don't know what dangerous means.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 9, 2012 at 05:11 AM
    So, his foot should be classified as a 'weapon'. How ridiculous for him to do that, in addition to being a thief.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Jan 8, 2012 at 06:27 PM
    Now that's using the old noggin.3 hots and a cot for the winter and get out when it get's warm.homeless shelter who me?
      by Anonymous on Jan 9, 2012 at 03:26 AM in reply to pete
      You got that right.What he done was clearly done on purpose.He must be kin to that Million Dollar Bill guy in Walmart.I guess they are all related down the line.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136917188 - witn.com/a?a=136917188