Man Spotted By Trooper Burglarizing Neighbor's Home Tied To Other Crimes

Lawmen say a man who died after being spotted by a state trooper breaking into his neighbor's home has been tied to multiple other crimes.

Wayne County deputies say Dustin Mitchell was seen November 3rd leaving a home on Rosewood Road by Trooper Bennie Grady. Grady was on his way home and spotted his neighbor's home being burglarized. Mitchell was killed minutes later when he wrecked his vehicle.

Now deputies say Mitchell was responsible for approximately eight home and business break-ins, 11 felony larcenies, 9 misdemeanor larcenies, and 9 motor vehicle break-ins. All of these case happened in the areas of Rosewood Road, Luby Smith Road, Highway 70 West, Pikeville Princeton Road and the Edgebrook Subdivision.

Deputies say Mitchell's family came forward and provided them with valuable information. They say some of the stolen property has been recovered and returned to the owners.

• by Ashley Location: Rosewood on Nov 18, 2010 at 08:52 PM
    That joker stole my husband's tools that we had gotten after we got married. And I'd like to think him because we collected money for our home owners insurance and made $100 out of the deal. Also I now know how to load and operate my husband's shot gun! At least I want be scared to death at 2:30 in the morning again by some crazy person knocking in my garage door! His family did a very honorable thing by turning the stuff in. I have family members who have struggled with drugs as well so my sympathies go out to his family. Makes me feel a little safer knowing we have a great officer living down the road. Thanks Mr. Grady!
  • by Annaleise Location: ENC on Nov 17, 2010 at 07:54 PM
    To the family of Dustin Mitchell: Please accept my deepest sympathies for the loss of your loved one. As a mother, I know we can do everything right and yet, our children continue to make bad choices. This has nothing to do with us. At times, there are demons in our childrens lives that are bigger than we can handle. In that regard, it is best left up to God. It was God's choice to call him home. He is now at peace. My prayers are with you at this difficult time.
  • by Scott on Nov 17, 2010 at 05:54 PM
    People like that don't turn there lives around.
  • by PETE Location: GRIFTON on Nov 17, 2010 at 05:17 PM
    If that's the neighbors house then he must be doing something right.
  • by bill on Nov 17, 2010 at 04:36 PM
    To the family I applaud your actions, and offer my deepest condolences and heartfelt prayers. It's a shame he wasn't afforded more time to turn his life around and realize how, truly, life is precious.
  • by Billy Location: Westal on Nov 17, 2010 at 04:33 PM
    When the family was cleaning his room they found half a dozen GPS, and a bunch of other things that wouldnt be normal to have even if he had a job,which he didn't. Some families would have kept their mouth shut, but they spoke up.
  • by re on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    "Hey Scott...maybe the family didn't know until the guy's death. They did the noble thing and came forward. Typical for posters on here who always want to blame someone." Agreed! Scott gtfo
  • by Scott on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    I'm not blaming anyone. How did they know it was stolen after his death if they didn't know before he died? Did he leave a note that said this stuff is stolen? They probably figured the cops would come looking for the loot and gave it up so they wouldn't prosecuted for possession of stolen property.
  • by anon Location: pitt county on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    He's been broke of the habit and even better we dont have to pay for him.
  • by To Scott on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108704204 - witn.com/a?a=108704204