UPDATE: Investigation Complete Into Shooting Outside Greenville Club

Greenville Police report the department is in the process of finishing the investigation into the deadly shooting in the parking lot of Club Fuzion on West Fifth Street on December 4.

Police tell WITN names are not being released to "maintain investigative integrity," and they say the case is being turned over to the Pitt County District Attorney's Office for review.

No one has been arrested.

Derek A-Shaheed Brathwaite, age 25 of Greenville, was killed. Police say Ernest Joshon Wright, age 24 of Greenville, suffered a gunshot wound to the face. At last report, they had not been able to speak with Wright about the shooting.

Previous Story:

Greenville Police are investigating a homicide that happened early Saturday morning.

Police report that officers responded to the parking lot of the Club Fuzion at 1311 West 5th street in reference to gunshots being fired. Upon arrival, officers say they discovered the victim, Derek A-Shaheed Brathwaite, lying face down in the parking lot of the business suffering from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the chest.

Brathwaite was transported to PCMH by Greenville EMS where he subsequently died from his injuries. Shortly after receiving the initial call, officers were notified that a second victim, Ernest Joshon Wright, had arrived at PCMH by private vehicle.

Police say Wright suffered an apparent gunshot wound to the face as the result of the altercation. Wright’s injuries appear to be non-life threatening. As of 10 a.m. Saturday, investigators had not yet been able to speak to Wright.

• by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 10, 2011 at 08:39 AM
    The news can't really write about news if it isn't 'racey'.
  • by cracker Location: ecu on Jan 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    why does EVERYTHING have to be about race. Oh yeah probably because it's a reality that the po-po are very racist! Don't let them fool you, I've heard first hand from many officers that profiling black and hispanic people is the norm and not the exception.
  • by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    When is there not a shooting down town? Are our taxes not high enough to have a police officer or two on duty down town nightly?
  • by sea trout Location: hyde county on Dec 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    construct some prisons like the Romans had---in the ground, no windows, and feed people who commit crimes over and over bread and water. No TV no telephones nothing. We have prisons as nice as motels especially the federal ones that I have seen. Golf, walking outside without fences and all the amentities.
  • by BLOUNT Location: gville on Dec 21, 2010 at 09:24 AM
    Black on Black crime has destroyed the Black community...
  • by REM Location: ENC on Dec 20, 2010 at 05:37 AM
    @sean: I didn't see any mention in your flawed rant about how blacks in Africa CAPTURED AND SOLD THEIR OWN PEOPLE. I don't condone slavery, but you need to get off of the whole, "white people are evil" idea.
  • by REM Location: ENC on Dec 20, 2010 at 05:35 AM
    @Sociology Student: How could you possibly know what I have or have not researched. The FACT still stands that the overwhelming majority of felons are black. You cannot refute that because it is a FACT. "Whites commit the same crimes, they just go get their big time expensive attorneys who went to school to talk BS to get them off" -- that statement right there shows your blatant biased towards this subject! You induce the "white man has more money" stereotype to try and vilify the all whites. Oh and FYI, there was plenty of evidence to suggest that the white student called the police and was ignored, so he took the safety of himself into his own hands. I'm not saying he did everything the correct way, but you are distorting this subject.
  • by ecupi8 Location: greenvlle on Dec 19, 2010 at 12:50 AM
    bruce...amazing! how can racism be ended when there is BET (black entertainment television), but a white entertainment channel would be considered "racist." What about african american only scholarships? Or african american only clubs/sororities? I am caucasion and I experience racism against MY race every. single. day.
  • by SICK OF THE IGNORANCE!!! Location: Greenville on Dec 18, 2010 at 09:35 AM
    I am sick and tired of the ignorance! So many of you, BooJa in particular, don't even know what you're talking about. Derek was not in a gang. Derek was not anyone's bodyguard. You OBVIOUSLY didn't know Derek. So keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Is anyone up here so perfect that you can JUDGE him or make ASSumptions about what happened? Were you there? Did you walk in his shoes? Did you live his life? NO! You just hide behind dumb screen names and make stupid comments. Wtf does race have to do with anything? I knew Derek personally and I miss him dearly...not just for me but for his mother and his aching family. His 4 year old son asked me if his dad could come back from Heaven. I don't even know the word to describe the pain that brings to my heart. NO ONE has the right to take anyone's life. That person will answer to God. Derek was a beautiful person. ALWAYS laughing & smiling. He was silly, a jokester. Lol. I have GREAT memories. I'm blessed to have known him. Now he's R.I.P
  • by sean on Dec 17, 2010 at 09:52 PM
    People are too stupid and dumb to realize true knowledge when its spoken, so listen up people. first of all everything happens for a reason even if you don't know why? I'm not black or white but the stuff blacks done as a race don't compare to whites, hhmmm lets see the slavery of millions, killing and taking NA lands and forcing them off of it. uneven distribution of goods and wealth, segregated housing and neighborhoods, segregation of black and white churches,yet suppose to be worshiping the same God and going to the same heaven. If you can't get along on earth how u going to get along in heaven. wow, lol too funny, unless there's a white and black heaven but never read that in the bible ha ha, God doesn't even have a color so what does that tell you about how much race should be emphasize in our lives, oh I forgot its not what God says it what we want to believe.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111315619 - witn.com/a?a=111315619