NEW INFO: Man Dies In Accident At Peanut Plant

It may be 3-4 months before the investigation into a workers death at an Edenton Peanut Processing Plant is complete, but we now know more on how he died.

Thursday morning, Edention Police responded to a injured person call at Seabrook Ingredients. There they found 25-year old Steven Phelps of Edenton dead. Officers say, the initial investigation showed Phelps' safety harness became entangled in machinery. The NC Department of Labor has been notified and is investigating.

PREVIOUS STORY: A man died in a workplace accident Thursday morning--the second this week in Eastern Carolina.

Edenton police say they got the call around 11:40 a.m. to Seabrook Ingredients about a worker injured on the job. They found Steven Phelps of Edenton dead of an apparent work related accident.

Police say their Initial investigation reveals a safety harness being worn by the 25-year-old became entangled in machinery. The North Carolina Department of Labor says it is investigating the fatality.

Seabrook is a peanut processing plant. Their website says the Edenton plant does peanut dry roasting, peanut extracts & peanut butter.

On Monday, a worker was killed in Beaufort County at a bridge construction site after a dump truck backed over him.

• by David Location: Baltimore on Nov 15, 2010 at 08:11 AM
    I'm sorry about Steven accident it should not never had happen. May God bless his family and my prayers are with them all.
  • by anonymous Location: edenton, nc on Nov 14, 2010 at 01:08 PM
    At this time; let us just focus on his family and remember that God continue is our comforter in times like this.
  • by anonymous Location: Edenton on Nov 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    I went to school with Steve and graduate with him.. This is so unbelieveable.. He was a kiind heart person.. My prayers go out to his whole family..
  • by Anonymous on Nov 12, 2010 at 05:13 PM
    Steven worked with me in Edenton at the Edenton House. He was a great guy and is going to be truly missed. My prayers are with the family right now and God will deal with the rest
  • by Anonymous Location: Edenton on Nov 12, 2010 at 03:34 PM
    I went to school with Steven and he was a great guy who came from a great family. Such a tragedy! Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed. God bless your family.
  • by Former employee Location: Edenton,NC on Nov 12, 2010 at 03:22 PM
    The company does teach lockout to all new employees and conducts an annual training in this. But there are times when short cuts have been taken to get things cleaned. As for me, I told them, that one day the harness would injure or kill someone, and i refused to wear it.
  • by TO JSS on Nov 12, 2010 at 01:33 PM
    If this was a lockout violation, then I rest my case. The company should have ensured that its lockout program covered this situation. The company should have trained its employee in the importance of locking out and verifying that the machine would not start. It is my belief that accidents don't just happen as you say. All injuries, illnesses, and deaths are preventable. The root causes here are many. Companies surely don't want to hurt anyone, but they also have the mentality of let's get is done yesterday, so we can get back into production. Again, production and profit over worker safety.
  • by Dee Location: Edenton NC on Nov 12, 2010 at 01:19 PM
    @ JSS Not coming at you rudely but before you start making statements you need to look at the situation, for one the man was cleaning the machine in sanitation so what was the machine doing on? Someone had to cut it on, before they cut the machine on they were suppose to make sure no one was cleaning it, but what I think is all these jobs ran by these companies need to practice safety more often and carefully. And it was the fault of the company because they have people working in very dangerous areas out there take it from someone who knows and expirenced it.
  • by hgnewport Location: hgnewport on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    that company is going to try to hide the details but the family better get a lawyer if that company was practicing unsafe working conditions the family can make the company pay for thier loss my prayers go out to that family just know this....."when you only see one set of footprints it was then when HE carried you."
  • by Greg Location: Illinois on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    Its bad for the family. At the same time if someone else did activate the machine it is hard on them. Knowing that their actions contributed to the accident.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 107313283 - witn.com/a?a=107313283