UPDATE: Salvation Army Offers Help to Man Charged With Stealing From Them

The Salvation Army of Pitt County is reaching out to a man charged with stealing from them, to see if he or his family is in need of assistance.

Greenville Police say Donald Mozingo is charged with stealing from the Salvation Army Sunday night.

Police say an employee at the Salvation Army spotted the man loading boxes of donated items from a donation drop box into his vehicle.

Police responded and say they caught Donald Mozingo in the act.

The Salvation Army says while they will not drop charges, they are offering help. Salvation Army Captain John Ssikes says, "The good side of that is we have made contact with the individual, and find out if he does have a need. If his family has a need. If they have a need we are going to try to meet that need. Thats why we are here we dont want to put people in jail. We dont wanna do that."

Sikes says if found guilty, they would hope Mozingo would be sentenced to community service and that it would take place at the Salvation Army.

PREVIOUS STORY:

A man is facing charges today for stealing from the Salvation Army in Greenville.

Greenville police say an employee at the Salvation Army spotted a man loading boxes of donated items from a donation drop box into his vehicle Sunday evening. Police responded and arrested Donald Mozingo.

Mozingo was charged with larceny and jailed under a $2,500 bond, which he was able to post and get released.

• by c-had Location: police state nc on Dec 22, 2011 at 03:36 PM
    Sure, reward him.
  • by Sweetiepie on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    I was thinking the same thing. Thank God for GCF at school time. I load up on uniform pants and shirts for 2.39 and 3.39 each. Wally's not gonna beat that.
  • by ggirl on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    I know someone who came home with a cake from a food pantry that he was doing court appointed community service for. I was very disturbed by this. Especially since we struggle to support the food pantry. Corruption is everywhere and it is only going to get worse.
  • by SA Supporter on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:55 AM
    It is disturbing to see so many untrue statements about this organization. The officers are paid a very minimal salary. The salary someone listed in a previous comment is just ridiculous. You truly have no idea what you are talking about. 100% of the donations taken in are distributed to the community. They provide toys, food, and yes help for your utility bill and rent if needed. I suggest everyone visit their website and learn more about the organization and its origin before making such outlandish comments.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:50 AM
    If the comments I hear are true, then WITN should run a story on the corruption at the SA because what you guys are accusing the workers of doing is stealing too. Not condoning what this guy did, but if the workers get "first pick" for free then they are at least as guilty as this guy.
  • by InLoveWithChrist Location: Greenville on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:47 AM
    I am saddened after reading all of your comments. YOU only see part of what The Salvation Army does, we the public don't see everything! The money raised from the store goes back to the community! They have to buy toys for Christmas...1900 kids this year. The $ raised in the stores also go to support the church programs at The Army. Now for a brief testimony.... I was homeless 2 years ago. I went to The Salvation Army and they paid my 1st months rent to move into an apartment. They gave me a job ringing the bell....now my life is changed! You don't always see where your donations go, but let me let you ALL in on a little secret...lives are being changed through The Salvation Army, just because you don't see it happening, doesn't mean that it isn't. Walk a mile in their shoes! God Bless!
  • by Jeff Location: Winterville on Dec 20, 2011 at 02:25 AM
    I'm glad they are offering help. They should still drop the charges if the man is in need. The crime is petty. The Salvation Army doesn't sell everything that is donated to them. Items get picked through and the junk makes it to the floor to be sold at an inflated price.
  • by Val Location: Greenville on Dec 19, 2011 at 08:39 PM
    First of all, if was so needy, how was he able to post bond? He is just a thief. I had an DWI in 1990, and I had to do community service at the Salvation Army, the works took the best clothes for themselves. I thought this was a sad situation.
      by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2011 at 03:38 AM in reply to Val
      I second that. Witnessed it myself as well.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 20, 2011 at 04:58 AM in reply to Val
      I heard that same thing years ago, sadly. It doesn't happen at the Goodwill because their employees aren't allowed to shop where they work. I'm not sure why, but I've been told firsthand.
  • by 40some on Dec 19, 2011 at 07:19 PM
    Now they're gonna offer him some help. Guess they read the comments.
  • by Double Standards Location: Greenville, NC on Dec 19, 2011 at 04:51 PM
    This is such a double standard! People donate to the Salvation Army so that they can in turn help the community which doesn't happen often in Greenville. I contacted them for help for a friend in REAL need for food and they told me the person should call them after the 1st of the year. What a joke!! Do you have any idea how much money the soldiers of the Salvation Army make or how much they spend on their camps? Maybe if this man joins their church they might be willing to help. I have always donated to them and would rather take my things to a homeless shelter now. They will never get anything else from me. Maybe they should be prosecuted for stealing from the public because things are donated for needy folks and the SA makes a profit off of those donations. Double Standard??

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135845703 - witn.com/a?a=135845703