UPDATE: Two Tickets Winning Mega Millions Tickets Sold

Three Mega Millions lottery tickets sold in North Carolina are worth $250,000, but the true winning tickets were sold in Idaho and Washington state. The two ticket-holders will split the $355 million dollar jackpot.

The prize is the fourth-largest in U.S. history.

The winning numbers are 15, 47, 04, 25, 08 and the mega ball is 42.

Prizes in the amounts of $250,000 will be handed out to 67 people for matching five numbers but not the Mega Ball. 323 people win $10,000 for matching four numbers plus the Mega Ball.

Previous Story:
Businesses that sell Mega Millions lottery tickets were especially busy around Eastern Carolina as customers hoped to take home the $355 million dollar jackpot.

The money up for grabs is the most since NC started offering the drawing last year.

The winning numbers are 15, 47, 04, 25, 08 and the mega ball is 42.

In Jacksonville Tuesday customers flooded the Han-Dee Hugo's to buy tickets. Some claim the store is lucky because it has has some lottery winners in the past, including a $200,000 winner.

There were also long lines in Greenville as people bought what they hoped to be the golden ticket.

Celido Cheng put down a hundred bucks he and his co-workers forked up to better their odds. "We pulled our money together with my friends and five employees hoping that we will win."

One store clerk told us some people have spent as much as $500 on Mega Millions tickets.

The odds to win: 1 in 176 million. If there isn't a winner Friday's drawing would be worth 480 million dollars.

• by pat Location: rocky mount on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    why we dont have anyone from our town to hit the big lottery it is always's out of state for the winning number
  • by Endurance Swimmer Location: Greenville on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    Congrats to the winners! I know the big winners are from Washington State and Idaho, but I never hear of anyone from Greenville winning the lottery, big or small! I agree with 100% with Joe, never will play!!
  • by local Location: jville on Jan 5, 2011 at 07:09 PM
    time zone difference!!! They can see east coast lotto numbers AND STILL PLAY BEFORE THE DEAD LINE!!!
  • by laura Location: greenville on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:25 PM
    The lottery is just a tax on the stupid.
  • by jeff Location: winterville on Jan 5, 2011 at 01:55 PM
    someone's gotta win it. It's nothing more than a huge raffle. Of course the odds are that you won't win as much as you spend. This isn't a break-even game. The profits supposedly support education for ticket sales in NC. It's not a bad return on your investment if you are the lucky winner.
  • by Zzyzx Road Location: Pitt County on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Well, I guess I predicted the winner would come from Washington state. I said Twisp but according to KOMO TV's website in Seattle, one of the winning tickets was bought in Ephrata, WA, and the other winning ticket was in Post Falls Idaho. I guess the Pacific Northwest has a lucky streak going. Oh, well, I didn't play, but it was fun guessing!
  • by bigfruitbasket Location: NC on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:16 AM
    Shoot! Someone else won my money. Ah well. To you lottery naysayers--if you don't like the lottery, don't play it. Preach to someone else.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:08 AM
    To me, I view the lottery as being little different than buying tickets for a raffle, playing carnival games at the fair or even buying a magazine in hopes of increasing your chances of winning a sweepstakes. All are based on chance. With the odds almost always stacked against you, it's best to do as 'Odds' stated and, if you are going to play, buy one once in a while and leave it at that. A cashier at a convenience store told me once that she bought an entire role of scratch-off games for like $500 bucks and only won about $200. I certainly won't take away money off my table or off my back to play the lottery and also will not spend on such when I could use it to enjoy a fun night out with the family. There is most certainly an investment there that you can treasure.
  • by The Original ENC Location: enc on Jan 5, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    RAAATTTSSS...Guess I need to tear up the resignation letter I typed up last night in anticipation of winning!
  • by Original C on Jan 5, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    To each his own, I guess, but I'll never win the lottery...because I refuse to participate in gambling. Also, I can't forget the TV special I saw some time back that profiled several lottery winners, all of whom blew all that money in a few years time. Seems to me that, for a lot of folks, sudden wealth causes more problems than it solves. Y'all have at it; I'll stay happily lower-middle class and keep what little cash I have.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112909944 - witn.com/a?a=112909944