Longtime Lower Neuse Riverkeeper Resigns

A man who has worked to protect a natural resource in eastern Carolina for the past nine years says he is stepping down from his position.

Lower Neuse Riverkeeper Larry Baldwin says he has made the difficult decision to resign. He says under the current leadership of some Neuse Riverkeeper Foundation Board members, things have changed over the past year in ways that are inconsistent with the advocacy model and required quality standards established by the Waterkeeper Alliance.
Baldwin says he can no longer serve under these conditions.

While leaving his current position, Baldwin says he will stay in the New Bern area, and continue his work as an environmental advocate.

• by Concerned on Nov 3, 2011 at 09:07 PM
    I question the integrity of people in positions of "power" that use scare tactics to justify their job but ignore facts such as; Duplin County has more hogs per square mile than any county in the U.S. but one of the top ten cleanest steams. On the other hand, how much hog waste do you think runs into Boston Harbor?
  • by saxatilis on Nov 3, 2011 at 05:35 PM
    I am all for environmental programs and doing all we can to protect our rivers, but this guy was an embarrassment. His false information and lack of true knowledge was of no help at all. Anyone else remember when they went to the local health department with dead fish to protest fish kills? Simply embarrassing.
  • by MIKE Location: KINSTON on Nov 3, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    How much does the position pay I might want that job, I'll let you dump all the poop you want to. Once you go west of New Bern it just a sewer ditch anyway.
  • by Bloke Location: New Bern on Nov 3, 2011 at 09:29 AM
    I would love to hear more about why he resigned. I know he loved his job and I am sure it was something pretty significant for him to resign. I think it should be public knowledge if it is something that could effect the health of the river. Maybe the NRF needs to be investigated about their business practices...
  • by BBQ and pig poop Location: polluted NC rivers on Nov 3, 2011 at 09:28 AM
    With more pigs than people in this state, it's hogs first and humans second in NC. Money can make some people forget about hog farm runoff.
      by Native on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM in reply to BBQ and pig poop
      I think if you will watch and read the news you will find that the poop going into the waters are coming from you. Municipal spills, not animal waste.
  • by Native Location: Grantsboro on Nov 3, 2011 at 06:33 AM
    Sounds like they must have folks on the board now that have common sense! I know Larry and like him as a person but most of the things he said in the papers and to news outlets were completely false, especially about swine operations. Maybe the NRF can take a step in the right direction now.
      by U So Rite on Nov 3, 2011 at 08:24 AM in reply to Native
      I live in Wilson/Nash county so You know how I feel
  • by Nuese Location: ritehere on Nov 3, 2011 at 05:12 AM
    Its a shame to lose him. He did a wonderful job that many did not appreciate. Good luck to him..
  • by Boss Hog Farmer on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    It sounds like financial interests or whatever are taking priority over the health of the river again.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133126568 - witn.com/a?a=133126568