Log Truck Driver Charged After Morning Crash

A log truck driver has been charged with careless and reckless driving after his big rig wrecked this morning in Craven County.

Trooper Steve Brown says around 11:10 a.m. the driver, Warren Sumrell, came around a curve on River Road too fast and caused the truck to turn over. Sumrell was pinned in the wreckage for nearly 90 minutes.

Sumrell was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital with what the trooper said were non-life threatening injuries.

No other vehicles were involved.

• by Jed on Oct 3, 2011 at 04:59 PM
    Log trucks have been some of the most unsafe vehicles on the road for decades. Almost as bad as female drivers. Hope DMV is doing their job and making sure they at least have brakes and decent tires.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Oct 3, 2011 at 05:35 PM in reply to Jed
      I've encountered many young males switching lanes, darting in and out, while revving the engines on those new Chargers and Mustangs, and Low Riders, in light traffic, let alone, serious traffic very recently. As for the log trucks, many are courteous, as I encounter the same ones each and every day, but some are tailgaters, very disconcerting when we are not under the posted, and there are other work trucks who need to slow down..so back off those of us who are both female AND safer drivers (you know, the ones who drive slightly above the posted limits to keep from PO'ing speeders, use turn signals, and are courteous enough to slow when someone is turning)...those females. Oh, and I do know to allow enough 'swing out' room for semi's in the turn lanes in the city; in fact, my husband drives a truck, and I do understand slowing down for them, giving a signal well before turning, so not all female drivers are dumb. Have a good day.
  • by Alicia Location: New Bern on Oct 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    I am with you on that! There are many that drive way too fast but one other thing I would like to say is that people need to drive the speed limit too and not crawl at a snail's pace out here as well. The speed limit is 55 not 25 and these trucks can not stop on a dime so do not pull out in front of them going 25! Please!
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Oct 3, 2011 at 01:58 PM in reply to Alicia
      Actually, the posted is 50MPH, and 45MPH in curves. There are a LOT of homes, even some small businesses, along that roadway. If you come upon someone driving slowly, take into consideration (you know, be polite) that perhaps they just pulled out of their driveway...and give them a chance to get up to speed. Otherwise, if people are in that much of a hurry, they need to get up earlier. This is not a new issue on that road.
  • by Nancy Location: New Bern on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    The log truck drivers on Hwy. 17 seems cautious, however, I have been behind them in the morning and they are driving over the speed limit fully loaded. I have also seen two wrecks just outside Vanceboro recently, where a large truck turned over. I saw the second wreck a week ago. A SUV had turned over in the sam spot! Everyone needs to slow down!
  • by Nancy Location: New Bern on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    Glad he will be okay, but this could have been so much worse, had someone else been approaching. Just wish other truck drivers would slow down out in that area, as teens, Moms, and Grandmas drive out there too.
      by Tyee on Oct 3, 2011 at 03:14 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      Drive based on conditions. Rain, wet pavement, amount of traffic, watch out for double yellow lines, But of all things some people think they own the roads. If given permission, my little car can almost fly. And of all things watch out for school buses. Roads were not made for racing.
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Oct 3, 2011 at 05:40 PM in reply to Tyee
        Your right. Driving is not supposed to help boost one's ego. It's supposed to be a privilege to get you from point A to point B. Respect and courtesy would improve these roadways, and reduce the unfortunate accidents.
          by commomsense on Oct 3, 2011 at 06:55 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
          read obituaries.. lose a loved one.. attend a funeral drive accordingly and perhaps you may save a life (EVEN YOURS)

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130992253 - witn.com/a?a=130992253