Local Strawberries Thrive Despite Dry Weather

You may have seen the local strawberry fields as you drive through Eastern Carolina and wondered if they are ready for eating yet. We are having an abnormally dry spring, but local farmers say it hasn't hurt the strawberry crops.

At White's Farm off Highway 17 in Craven County, red strawberries fill the field. Glory White says they've been picking strawberries for over a week and they're coming in at a good pace despite the dry conditions. White says it's their underground irrigation system that helps the plants grow even when it's abnormally dry.

"Well nobody likes dry weather but we have underground irrigation going throughout the farm, you have got have it, if you've got vegetables it's got to have water when it wants the water not when ever mother nature decides to give us the water," said Glory White of White's Farm.

White says the irrigation system helps the farm conserve water because they can control where it goes, rather then spraying it all over the field.

• by jerry Location: enc on Apr 15, 2011 at 05:00 AM
    Dry weather? Here`s dry weather-I have a cousin in Arizona that told me he has a catfish that`s two years old and has not learned to swim yet.
  • by craven Location: New Bern on Apr 15, 2011 at 02:30 AM
    The strawberries at Village Creek Farm in Fort Barnwell are ready too.. I swear they have the sweetest strawberries I have ever tasted....
  • by Lisa on Apr 14, 2011 at 07:55 PM
    Anyone know when 903 Starts to Pick.
      by Anonymous on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM in reply to Lisa
      I called the first of this week & they told me in a couple of weeks.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 14, 2011 at 07:17 PM
    Dry weather?? Please, tell that to my yard which is like a sponge!It has not been dry.
  • by HUH on Apr 14, 2011 at 07:06 PM
    Dry Spring? It hasn't been dry in Greenville! It has rained 2-3 times a week for the past month.
      by Adrienne on Apr 15, 2011 at 03:31 AM in reply to HUH
      Yep, everytime my kids come in muddy to the knees, I give thanks for this 'drought' we've had all winter and spring!
        by control the kids on Apr 15, 2011 at 07:42 AM in reply to Adrienne
        you would'nt have problem if you fixed the mud holes in your yard.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119886184 - witn.com/a?a=119886184