Local Movie Goers Hungry For "Hunger Games"

The "Hunger Games" is one of the most anticipated movies so far this year- even more so for some in our state because the movie was shot here.

We checked out the Carmike Theater in Greenville where several people were waiting for tickets for the midnight showing. A few were reserved for people who showed up to buy tickets in person but online tickets sold out quickly.

The movie with a hundred million dollar budget shot all over our state: In Asheville, Charlotte, Concord, Hildebran, and Shelby.

If you haven't read the book, the "Hunger Games" is about a post-apocalyptic world in which a highly advanced metropolis holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The "Hunger Games" are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each district are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive.

• by here Location: here on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    The whole plot of this movie seems so far fetched. What society would send, specifically 12 to 18 year old children to go run off and KILL each other?? If you can get past all that silliness it looks like it could be a good movie.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM in reply to here
      A tribal society. You don't get out much, do you? Try a library and some history books sometime. You're going off your own societal perspective of what a "child" is, and the rest of the planet is not on the same wavelength as the US.. FYI.
  • by Vickie Location: Grimesland on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:09 AM
    I am sick of hearing the title "hunger games",already!
  • by Resident Location: Greenville on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:55 AM
    I am in my 60's and have read the trilogy and found it very entertaining and the story line is great. I am looking forward to the movie and just hope it is as exciting as the books. Try the book. You will not be able to put it down. I promise!
  • by TDI Club Location: East NC on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:51 AM
    Oh...schools are bringing classes to see it? That must mean it's good for kids to see. Fun for the whole family! I guess it's never too early to start exposing your children to the police state, government control, torture and murder of young children. I mean, what could be a better? Man I love me some not-so futuristic forced competition where the losers are killed in the most horrible ways imaginable while the whole event is televised for the masses of sheeple to enjoy! Makes me feel proud to be in a country where tyranny and torture are celebrated by even the younger generation! Hey, Hunger Games fans...wouldn't it be cool if this was real some day? Stick around because it probably will be! That will be soooo exciting and trendy! The whole concept makes me sick, really. Kids killing kids! Are you kidding me? Who comes up with this filth?
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM in reply to TDI Club
      They've already been exposed to it in everyday life. Who are you kidding?
        by c-had on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:17 PM in reply to
        No, TDI is correct.Trauma affects the brain and any REAL parent would not let their children watch this brainwashing BS.Alas people are too stupid to see what is going on.Primetime TV has already crossed the line.Trash in, trash out.
  • by Hungry on Mar 23, 2012 at 06:13 AM
    This story might come true, if Obama gets re-elected. I have been trying to find a decent paying job, no luck. All the illegals have eaten up anything there is to do in housing!
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM in reply to Hungry
      I don't think you actually know what the story is about.
  • by Gammie of 4 Location: New Bern on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:37 AM
    My Grandson and I have been waiting for this movie for months. We have read the books and while the subject matter is disturbing, the entertainment value should be awesome. We plan to be one of the first to see it. I'm also happy NC gets an economic boost because of this. See ya at the movies :)
  • by O'Really Location: Jacksonville on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    I guess the kids have to have something to replace the Harry Potter movies. To me this movie looks like a huge waste of time and money not to mention a huge flop. But it's nice to hear that some schools are bringing entire classes to see the movie. So it must be educational right? I'm much more interested in seeing the new Three Stooges movie. The Three Stooges far outclasses this movie. At the least the Three Stooges movie will be entertaining and funny.
      by ShempHowerd on Mar 23, 2012 at 03:18 AM in reply to O'Really
      What reviews I've seen movie about teen violence aren't too good. Being one of the most anticipated movies of the year certainly doesn't/won't make it a hit. I've not seen the new Stooges movie but would be willing to bet if it's anything like the recent Little Rascals movie it'll certainly be a flop. That movie was more than a feeble attempt to cash in on something that'll never be duplicated.
        by At least I see it on Mar 23, 2012 at 04:21 AM in reply to ShempHowerd
        Let me tell you, everything from Hollywood has no foundation. Just the same silly stories with recycled acting. Save your money and don't go to any of it. This is the reason why 3D and HD has come out. Trying to polish up a crappy product with glitz and glamour. At least I'm smart enough to realize this.
          by yes on Mar 23, 2012 at 05:49 AM in reply to At least I see it
          I agree, wait for it to come out on dvd, anything but pay high prices for 2 cents worth of popcorn and soda.
          by c-had on Mar 23, 2012 at 01:18 PM in reply to At least I see it
          INDEED.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 07:36 AM in reply to O'Really
      What are you smoking? A flop, a flop? You mean the movie that predicted to make over 100 million on it's opening weekend is going to flop? And you're looking forward to the three stooges movie over this? The three-stooges won't be funny, it'll be horrible, it'll get horrible reviews. The Hunger Games will get moderate to high reviews. Anything from 6-8, the three-stooges will be lucky to get a single good review.
      by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM in reply to O'Really
      And again I'm right, just off midnight showings the movie made 20 million...a flop...lol.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143914116 - witn.com/a?a=143914116