NEW INFO: Girl Dies After Struck By Vehicle

A child from Onslow County had died after she was hit by a vehicle this morning.

Troopers tell WITN that Kateleynn Long was crossing Sandridge Road near the intersection of Crown Point Road, southeast of Hubert, when she was hit by a 2006 Jeep Cherokee shortly after 7:15 Monday morning.

The child, who was eleven years old, was taken to the Naval Hospital and then flown to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. Monday afternoon, lawmen confirmed she died from her injuries.

According to the Highway Patrol, the girl's family members said she was scared of the road and were surprised she was on it. Officials say she may have been walking home from a nearby convenience store.

Troopers tell WITN there were a multiple witnesses. Troopers say the driver of the Jeep was not at fault and will not be charged. The driver was taken to the hospital to be checked out.

According to law enforcement, the girl was a student at Sandridge Elementary School.

• by Lilley family Location: Hubert on Jun 7, 2011 at 07:31 PM
    Im so sorry to hear about this we known the family for a while through scouts i am so sorry and i hope things will get better for the family. Im sorry for your loss.We will keep you in our hearts and prayers.
  • by Elizabeth Location: Queens Creek on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    My family is so sorry for your loss. I will remember Katie every day as I drive through sandridge on my way to work. I am sure most of us will take this as a wake up call and watch our speed a bit more carefully. I also wish to send prayers to the driver of the vehicle involved, I am sure she is devastated as well. Again, our condolences.
  • by FN Jackson Location: pinetown on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    hope u fill better and im sorry obo ut the girl
  • by not you Location: 285 cinnon dr on Jun 7, 2011 at 05:38 AM
    i wish she was still comin to my school
  • by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    This little girl was a member of my extended family My heart thought and prayers go out to the long and Robeson family!
  • by June Location: Lancaster, Ca on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    This is so sad, a young life taken too soon. She was a friend in school, and classmate of my great granddaughter. My thoughts and prayers are with her family & the driver of the suv. May she rest in peace.
  • by daniel Location: PINK HILL on Jun 6, 2011 at 07:15 PM
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends .
  • by Scott Location: Hubert on Jun 6, 2011 at 05:57 PM
    She was a sweet girl i was baptised at the same time and place as she was we love and miss you dearly
  • by J Location: jacksonville on Jun 6, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    what can i say? she was sweet and it was a blessing to have her in my life. although its been a while since i've seen her, i still have her face clear as day in my memory...such a pretty face:) We'll miss you, and godd luck out there, where ever you are now... also to the Long family, i will pray. love you guys
  • by Jolie Location: Hubert on Jun 6, 2011 at 05:12 PM
    I am so sorry for your lost I will pray for you and your family! I was at home when I heard all of the ambulance, police, and fire fighters shortly before my daughter bus driver came. I live right down the street on Sandridge and know how dangerous Sandridge Rd is. I have issues every morning and afternoon when my daughter walks to get on the bus. Drivers speed on a daily basis and most of the time flys by the bus as the bus driver puts her stop sign out and lights on. I AM TRULY SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOST!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123236868 - witn.com/a?a=123236868