KINSTON MAYOR: Power To Be Restored By Friday

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Kinston's mayor says his city will have power by Friday

The city says the hurricane caused the worst damage to its electrical system, exceeding even that from Hurricane Floyd.

At the height of the storm the city lost power to all of its 12,000 customers. Tuesday morning that number stands at 6,000, or 50% of the city.

Mayor B.J. Murphy says their goal is to have the major grid restored by Friday, but there will likely be isolated outages that could last two or three more weeks.

Kinston has extended its curfew indefinitely until power is fully restored to the city. That curfew runs nightly from 10:00 p.m. to sunrise.

The city says 40 crews from High Point, Kings Mountain and Gastonia are helping to restore power. They are working double shifts.

The city says ice, donated by Sanderson Farms, is being given out at Grainger Stadium while the Salvation Army is setting up four mobile kitchens in the city.

Previous Story

It could be Friday before all power is restored to everyone in Kinston.

Thousands of people are without in Kinston. Major B.J. Murphy says electric crews from across the state are arriving to help out. Some neighborhoods look like war zones.

Numerous trees have fallen on power lines and homes. On Perry Park Drive a tree fell on a home while a couple was sleeping about 6:30 a.m. Saturday. The couple believes the tree was about 100 years old.

They woke up to find the tree had crashed through the roof leaving a gaping hole in the their ceiling. The couple says they are staying with family in Snow Hill and they have renter's insurance.

• by boxer on Aug 30, 2011 at 01:33 PM
    My daughter lives just off Fred Everett Road just off 258 North, she has Progress Energy and she DOES NOT have power. So based on some of these comments about glad they have Progress Energy cause they have power is not true for everyone.
      by Barbara on Aug 30, 2011 at 05:25 PM in reply to boxer
      Boxer, I hope your daughter gets power very soon. I do know that I'm very lucky to have had mine restored within a couple of days of the storm. I didn't realize until today when I went to work how many people were still without electricity. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my comments.
  • by Larry Location: Kinston on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    People don't realize it but Kinston is one of, if not the worst hit areas of the storm. It's terrible here
  • by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2011 at 09:29 AM
    Not much gang activity this week in K-town.
      by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM in reply to
      They are too busy in the food line getting free food.
  • by Jackie Location: Kinston on Aug 29, 2011 at 07:24 PM
    My lights were restored at little after 1800 tonight. I was without electricity since Saturday morning and I can honestly say you really don't miss something until you have to go without it. I lost probably 85% of my food but I was able to cook for my kids because I have a gas stove (thank God)...does anyone know the process of recieving emergency foodstamps because I could really use the help. My pantry and fridge are both empty and having foodstamps will really help stock them both up.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 03:55 PM
    I lived in Kinston during Floyd. With that being said, I remember that like it was yesterday and I know how you all feel! I hope and pray that everyone's power will be on soon!
  • by Angela Location: Kinston on Aug 29, 2011 at 09:51 AM
    To all of you ignorant people. I have seen several trucks in Kinston working on power, especially at Skinners where the most light poles were taken out. There are SEVERAL light poles down, trees on poles. Restoring power to a city is a process. Power isnt going to be restored over night or in 3 days. Alot of damage so stop complaining and putting down others it isnt going to help the situation what so ever. You knew the storm was coming they warned it would be multiple days without power because the weather threat. Be better prepared next time. Just because trucks were seen in the "rich" part of town doesnt mean its just restoring power to them. I havent had power since Friday, I dont have the money to run out and buy replacement groceries but I am happy to be alive right now. Alot of my families houses flooded they lost EVERYTHING. So why are you complaining? At least you still have your house left to connect power to. Stop being so self centered and count your blessings.
      by anon on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM in reply to Angela
      AMEN!! Angela tell the crybaies like it is. thank you
        by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 06:04 PM in reply to anon
        and your point is...
        by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 06:07 PM in reply to anon
        wooooo what a real adult....calling people names.
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 02:06 PM in reply to Angela
      but I don't have power.....
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 06:05 PM in reply to Angela
      Who died and made you the trumpet of the people?
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 06:10 PM in reply to Angela
      Speaking of ignorance, isn't it just as ignorant for you to belittle people because they don't agree with you? Stop pointing fingers my dear. You have shown you are just as guilty as those you condemn.
  • by pat Location: pars on Aug 29, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    does anyone know where we can get some food relief after 3 days now the food is gone or spoiled. why is noone reporting on the poor conditions at kinston hotel we are mainly disabled living there and were flooded out from the top floor down due to fualty maintainance. where do we get help our income wont be here for another week . no place to stay and nothing to eat now.........help kinston
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 09:14 AM in reply to pat
      I hear McDonald's has 99 cents burgers and fries. Burger King and Wendy's offers similar deals as well. My friend fed 8 people for around 20 dollars yesterday.
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM in reply to pat
      Per this site, the Salvation Army is setting up four mobile kitchens in Kinston.
      by anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 01:02 PM in reply to pat
      The Salvation Army is setting up mobile kitchens. Call them for help! Good luck to you!
  • by Barbara Location: Lenoir County on Aug 29, 2011 at 06:44 AM
    As much as people have to pay for their electricity in Kinston, it is an outrage that it's going to take so long to have their power restored. This is just another reason that I'm thankful to have Progress Energy (my power was restored yesterday) and SO thankful that I don't live in the Kinston city limits!
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 07:00 AM in reply to Barbara
      I bet the 'boy genius" mayor's power was the first to be restored.
      by ignorance in print on Aug 29, 2011 at 09:07 AM in reply to Barbara
      Well Barbara, why don't you go tell the line crews how to repair the system to your satisfaction. Do you know the difference between AC and DC current?
        by Barbara on Aug 29, 2011 at 01:22 PM in reply to ignorance in print
        Ignorance in print (why did you name yourself that, lol?), I'm not blaming the line crews and no, I don't know a thing about electricity. My knowledge about electricity is not the point; the point is that it's a shame that people who live in Kinston have to pay such high electric prices and have to wait so long to have their power restored. I'm sorry for those people and glad that I'm not one of them. What's so terrible about that?
        by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 06:10 PM in reply to ignorance in print
        Great name you chose for yourself.. fits you perfectly !!
      by Ungrateful B on Aug 29, 2011 at 08:11 PM in reply to Barbara
      I can't believe there are people like you among us. You comment can only be taken as a joke because you either have no idea what is going on around you OR you'er just yanking our chain. (I hope it's the latter) ....so, the more you pay for your steak, the quicker you should get it, hummm?
        by Barbara on Aug 30, 2011 at 02:44 AM in reply to Ungrateful B
        Why have you named yourself Ungrateful B, lol? And why would you think or hope that I'm joking? I am sure that the line crews are working hard to restore the power--I am not blaming them. I merely stated that the people who live in the city pay too much for their electricity to have to go without power for so long. I also stated that I'm thankful to have Progress Energy and that I'm so thankful I don't live in Kinston. I stand by all of those comments. And yes, you should get great service if you are paying for it.
          by VoiceOfReason on Aug 30, 2011 at 01:30 PM in reply to Barbara
          Barbara, I believe what each person is trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter how much the service costs. Time, money, and energy must be spent to get services restored. By way of replacing poles, miles of wire, insulators, fuses, etc. All that infrastructure wasn't built in a day and it will take several days to repair and replace what was damaged. I too am a Progress Energy customer, I lost power at my home Sat. am and was not expecting it back until Thursday. I was blessed to get it back on last night. I am sensitive to those without though. I am also sensitive to the folks working their tails off to get services restored. It's not fair to others to start throwing around statements that could be misinterpreted. You come across as being ungrateful and arrogant. Think before you type. That's all, nice and calm. Peace be with you and bless your heart.
          by Barbara on Aug 30, 2011 at 04:10 PM in reply to Barbara
          Okay, VoiceOfReason (at least you know how to pick out a good name for yourself, :)). Thanks for the peace and right back atcha. I do hear what you are saying. I truly do not mean to sound ungrateful and arrogant. I, too, was without power and I lost everything in my refrigerator and freezer and had some damage to my roof. Several trees fell down in my neighborhood--my neighbors and myself are all very lucky that none of them hit our homes. I know that the line crew is working very hard to get the power restored to Kinston. My comments aren't directed towards the line crew at all--sorry if any of them have read this and taken it that way.
  • by Larry Location: Kinston on Aug 29, 2011 at 03:53 AM
    I rode around kinston yesterday and only seen two trucks from the city repairing lines...And they were in the rich neighborhood.. How pathetic is that
      by Anonymous on Aug 29, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to Larry
      It is not pathetic. Rich people gotta live too Larry.
      by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM in reply to Larry
      You have no idea what you are talking about. They have to fix the lines in a certain order. The farther you are down the chain, the longer it takes to get it to you. They can't magically jump the power from the station to your house.
        by Anonymous on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM in reply to
        Then explain why Kinston power crews were summoned to a major farm in the Pink Hill area early Monday.
  • by Captain Major Hoss on Aug 28, 2011 at 05:27 PM
    I wonder if the trouble makers in kinston were washed down stream.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128562973 - witn.com/a?a=128562973