Kinston Worker Shocked, Suffering From Second & Third Degree Burns

Kinston officials tell WITN a city utility worker was shocked Thursday afternoon with 7,200 volts traveling through his body.

The person, who hasn't been identified yet, was working at 700 Truman Court on a power outage around 3:30 when the incident happened.

We're told the worker was taken by East Care to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill and is suffering from second and third degree burns.

Interim city manager Bill Ellis says the worker has first and second degree burns to his face and chest and second and third degree burns to his arms and legs.

Ellis says the worker, a lineman who's been with the city for 25-years, was working on an underground primary line in a ditch when he was shocked.

The crew that was working with him has been given Friday off to go visit with him at the hospital. We're told his family is with him.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by ls Location: nb on Sep 30, 2011 at 06:27 AM
    Prayers going out for the man, his family and the UNC staff. ECU Student......nice, real nice, shows yer intelligence level!
  • by Retired Enlisted Marine on Sep 30, 2011 at 05:44 AM
    Why do you people have so many nice word for this man and none for our Marines
    • reply
      by Confused on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM in reply to Retired Enlisted Marine
      This article isn't about a marine. It is about a utility worker who was injuried. I'm sorry that enough nice things aren't said about our men and women in uniform but this isn't really the place for it. Personally I appreciate our military and appreciate what they do. But in this article, it is about a nice man who is a utility worker who was injured.
    • reply
      by Just Me on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM in reply to Retired Enlisted Marine
      I was married to a US Marine...and work with this lineman...Have the utmost respect for both. However, Marines are not the "topic" here....maybe that's why??? DUH ! Try to stay focused please.
    • reply
      by Wonder Bread on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:06 AM in reply to Retired Enlisted Marine
      I understand that your concerned about the lack of nice words for our Marines, but I am not sure why we are not allowed to express nice words or prayers to this man as well. Many people do comment nice things and prayers about our Military ( I am not sure why you only named Marines)and it is not like this article is flooded with thousands of well wishers. I would like to think that no matter what people should be able to wish this man well and hope for him and his family. Since I know this man and his family, I hope that everything turns out good and I will be praying.
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Sep 30, 2011 at 03:57 PM in reply to Retired Enlisted Marine
      Go Marines! Get the chip off your shoulder Devil Dog. Whatever it is you can handle it.
  • by Brittany Location: Grifton on Sep 30, 2011 at 05:07 AM
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank goodness the company let his co-workers go see him, that is wonderful. He needs his family at this time.
  • by Electricman Location: NC on Sep 30, 2011 at 04:53 AM
    My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I hope you get sent to Baptist hospital where they have a burn center just for this type of burn. Electric burns are not like other burns and need specific types of care.
  • by Science on Sep 30, 2011 at 04:29 AM
    Sorry to hear about this. Getting burned is horrible. He was probably burned from the hot gases released when something shorted (Google "arc flash"). Note to WITN - volts do not travel through your body, or anything else. Volts are a similar measure as water pressure. You wouldn't say that 200PSI traveled through a pipe. It's a shame there is no shop class in school any more.
    • reply
      by Electricman on Sep 30, 2011 at 07:52 AM in reply to Science
      Been in the industry for 30 years. Volts don't hurt you, amps do. The hot gas you refer to is vaporized metal and burns on the outside, the other burns on the inside come from amps flowing along the bone. Don't confuse people, they are misinformed enough.
  • by Really people... on Sep 30, 2011 at 03:41 AM
    ECU Student really... I mean seriously there is a time for sarcasim and then a time for respect for the family. It could have been your father or brother or relative. I am all for freedom of speech but tact should be a requirement.
    • reply
      by Just My Opinion on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM in reply to Really people...
      Amen !
  • by Cindy Location: Kinston on Sep 29, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    My thoughts and Prayers are with you & your family...Hope you get well soon!!
  • by ANNOYMOUS Location: Choco on Sep 29, 2011 at 07:16 PM
    I am praying that GOD will be with this man and his family during this tragic time! Hope he makes a full recovery!
  • by Sunshine Location: Washington on Sep 29, 2011 at 06:18 PM
    Thoughts and Prayers go out to this man and his family. May god bless you all!!!!!!!!!!
    • reply
      by Toni on Sep 29, 2011 at 07:21 PM in reply to Sunshine
      God was definitely looking out for this man. Prayers for a speedy recovery!
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130822218 - witn.com/a?a=130822218
Gray Television, Inc.