Kinston, Tarboro Restaurants Earn Top Honors

Two area restaurants have been named among the top 100 in the country.

OpenTable.com listed "Chef and the Farmer" in Kinston and "On the Square" in Tarboro as winners of the Diners' Choice Awards for the top 100 best restaurants in the United States. The list of winners is derived from more than 10 million reviews submitted by OpenTable diners for more than 12,000 restaurants in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Chef and the Farmer is run by Kinston native Vivian Howard and her husband, Ben Knight. On the Square is run by Tarboro native Inez Ribustello and her husband, Stephen.

• by Dukie Location: Tarboro on Dec 20, 2011 at 08:54 AM
    Wow...big news.....Guess what it didnt even make the opentable.com's website. where is the data to back such up?????? Not there.....uhmmmm
      by Just Open Your Eyes on Dec 20, 2011 at 09:33 AM in reply to Dukie
      I looked on the website and found it under restaurants in your area...do some research before you make snide comments
      by WHAT?? on Dec 20, 2011 at 01:49 PM in reply to Dukie
      If you are really from Tarboro...I would be shamed to know that you would post such non-sense.
  • by Jeff Location: New Bern on Dec 20, 2011 at 07:43 AM
    I ate at Chef and the Farmer and it is quite reasonable. A meal for four was very reasonably priced! The food was spectacular and the service just as wonderful. Down the road from the up-and-coming urban-inspired sprawl is Mother Earth Brewing. You need to visit them too! Not just an average microbrew! Kudos to Chef and Farmer for this award.
  • by Foodie on Dec 20, 2011 at 06:47 AM
    The Chef and the Farmer is an amazing restaurant. Too bad it's in an armpit like Kinston.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2011 at 05:03 AM
    Both restaurants are members of the "out of the hood" program I see. Congrats to them for establishing fine restaurants in two areas that are in rapid decline!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2011 at 04:59 AM
    who can afford to eat at the "Chef and the Farmer"
      by Anonymous on Dec 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM in reply to
      I ate there once last year for my GF's birthday. After the tip. $100. on the dot.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Dec 20, 2011 at 03:04 AM
    I remember when (Inez) Inie, and her sister were born. Talk about Divine Intervention - she and Stephen worked at the restaurant on top of one of the twin towers...... I think they were engaged and took the day off to do some shopping ...... or something Sept.11....... I think the rest. was "Top of the World"..... Cnogratulations to both of you! Great Food!
  • by petereesha on Dec 20, 2011 at 02:50 AM
    Congrats to "On the Square"! When we first discovered this place, we were totally blown away by the quality of the food and the friendly staff. We are still suprised every time we go there; how did an eatery of such quality land in TARBORO? My wife and I have eaten in some of the best places in the Washington DC area and On the Square is right up there with the best! Keep up the good work!
  • by Formerly Pirateman on Dec 20, 2011 at 02:47 AM
    AWESOME!!!!! Eastern NC has entered civilization (tongue in cheek). No, but really, this is great. Our variety of epicurean experience is a great asset for the area. For example, I also love the Oyster bars, BBQ joints, Country Food places, Pizza Places as good as NYC, ethnic restaurants, that inn in Farmville and SEAFOOD!! No wonder I am overweight! LOL :) I'm just sorry they missed that cafe in downtown Greenville and that bistro in Greenville!
      by Anonymous on Dec 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM in reply to Formerly Pirateman
      Starlight Cafe is absolutley WONDERFUL. My family and I went to eat there for this first time a couple of weeks ago. It is kind of pricey, but perfect for Date Nights. We each got a different entre' and could tell you exactly which farm everything came from. If you are looking for great LOCAL food, Starlight Cafe is your anwser!!!
        by Anonymous on Dec 21, 2011 at 07:36 AM in reply to
        If you are ever in New Bern Persimmons is a great restaurant and they too use local food and can tell you the farms.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135911478 - witn.com/a?a=135911478