Jolly Trolley Owner Ordered To Remove ECU Pirates Sticker From Bus

What started out as an innocent reflection of school pride has now become a legal matter for the owner of Jolly Trolley in Greenville.

Patrick Brown says after having an ECU Pirates sticker on his trolley for two years, ECU told him he had two weeks to take it off.

Brown is a proud graduate of ECU and says he put the sticker on his company trolley thinking it would help the university's image.

But the collegiate licensing company at ECU says because Brown did not go through the legal steps to have the logo on his company product. You can see in the picture on this story from the Jolly Trolley website that Brown has covered up the sticker.

Brown says, "I understand trademark and branding. I was just trying to show a little bit of pride and didn't think anything would happen. I'm not trying to associate myself with ECU other than promote the college that I love.

ECU says this is a common misunderstanding in the community.

Lee Workman says ECU has nearly 4,000 requests every year from companies across the country who want to display the school's logo, and at least 90 percent of those formal requests are approved. He says If you are a business owner who would like to show off your Pirate pride you must first contact the ECU collegiate licensing company and get approval.

Brown decided to scrape off the sticker Tuesday.

• by State Fan Location: Greenville on Mar 19, 2012 at 07:08 AM
    I wonder if he allow my pack on his vehicle....The thing is red already and we are going to take this tourney all the way!!!
  • by Witness on Mar 14, 2012 at 04:55 AM
    Did he buy the sticker? If so he should be able to put it on anything he wants! How are you going to sell a sticker and then place restrictions on what it is stuck on? Are the drivers of the trolley forbidden to wear ECU apparel as well?
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    As a proud ECU alumni, a lifetime ECU fan, and a member of the OBX Chapter of the Pirate Club, I think that the licensing crowd should at least ask to have a meeting with this proud alumni and business owner instead of demanding that he take the sticker off. It just comes off as a bit too arrogant. The exact same thing goes with the person who wanted to do that Healthy Pirates fitness website. I don't agree with their approach, but I understand that you can't just let any random person do such a thing. There just needs to be a change in how things are handled. If it was handled better, then there probably would be a lot less people who would hate East Carolina University. The arrogant approach like they did is not part of the foundation for East Carolina. It starts to sound more like that school up in Chapel Hill which really bothers me very badly.
  • by uncw grad Location: kinston on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    this is like that day care a few years ago that had to paint over the picture of mickey mouse or pay "uncle walt" lots of money. i understand this a trademark but come on....... its like when UNCW calls me for money i laugh at them. use some of that money i am paying back in student loans.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 9, 2012 at 08:21 AM
    Way to go ECU. He has been in the reflectors pages a number of times promting the downtown area businesses and your school. Then Mary said that the college had to protect its logo??? From this guy? Seems to me that ECU should have said, forget the pirate club we will allow you to show our image, we are proud of what you do for the city and our college. She said he didnt follow the proper channels on 1250, well, he called Lee Workman didnt he?...Lee should have said "This is what you need to fill out and do". Just stupid, emabrace him you idiots.
  • by Sue Location: Greenville on Mar 9, 2012 at 06:51 AM
    WOW - ECU is really on the ball. If you go back on the Reflector site in July of 2010 there is a picture of the Jolly Trolly with the "sticker in question" right there plain as day. Two years later they decide that it has to go. Really???
  • by cj on Mar 9, 2012 at 06:51 AM
    tell them to stuff it Pat.
  • by former pirate cluber on Mar 8, 2012 at 03:59 PM
    PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR ANY MONEY FROM ME ECU EVER AGAIN!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    This guy just did not give enough money. The more one donates the more they care. I donated money, as I was able, for about 8 years. I made my final yearly donation exactly two years ago, and I donated $800. I did not receive a thank you or anything from them. Nothing! They treated an $800 donation like it did not matter even though this was significant to me and my family. Needless to say, that's the last dollar they will ever get out of me.
  • by Pirate/Trolley fan on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    I heard him on the radio and have heard ECU on TV. It seems that ECU could have said OK your fine. I would understand a stripclub or even a bar but this guy? He was trying to help them out and apparently didnt know that he was wrong in doing so. Does that mean that during gamedays I have to take my flag and magnets off my insurance companies car? Why are they being like this?
      by Purple piggy on Mar 8, 2012 at 07:33 PM in reply to Pirate/Trolley fan
      ECU is being like this because they don't think their poop stinks. They also know the sheep that support the team ,no questions, will continue to buy the logo merchandise of a mediocre to worthless team.
        by Sam on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM in reply to Purple piggy
        It's not ECU in general, it's those particular people in control that's acting that way. Don't put all ECU people in that category.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141684783 - witn.com/a?a=141684783