Jacksonville Reaches Agreement On Anti-Abortion Protests

Jacksonville says it has reached an agreement with anti-abortion protestors over how they can demonstrate in the city.

The Thomas More Society sued the city in federal court after they were forbidden from praying and picketing outside the front entrance of the Crist Clinic for Women.

The city says it will now make changes in its ordinance to allow the protests. The changes, which have to be approved by city council, will consider the size of the protest groups, the access of protestors to sidewalks and public areas, and the standards applied with the city decides whether to issue permits. “The City is making changes that are in accord with the evolving standards that courts develop on First Amendment issues but which are still true to our steadfast objective to welcome speech in a respectful and safe atmosphere,” said City Attorney John Carter.

The city says the federal judge has the power to monitor the city's compliance with the agreement, and they expect the lawsuit to be formally dismissed 30 days after a revised ordinance is enacted.

Last month, protestors began a 40 day anti-abortion campaign across the street from the clinic.

• by Jack Location: Jacksonville on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Freedom is not the right to do whatever you want but the privilege to do what is right. I think it is wonderful what these people are doing. Talk is cheap these people take action.
  • by liza on Mar 10, 2012 at 05:13 AM
    Wonder if these people that are for abortion thought slavery was right. How many slaves would you have had because it was legal. Legal until someone cared about humanity enough to get involved and try to protect them. What about the underground railroad. We need to be an advocate for those that are being killed and have nothing to say. People talk out of both sides of their mouth. Killing is killing no matter wheather it is a born or unborn child.
  • by Marty Location: Jax on Mar 6, 2012 at 05:50 PM
    This is a town full of Vets. And military families. Everyone is screaming about these people protesting. It's Vets like me and a big part of jax that gave them the right to protest and Y'all the right to protest the protesters. Now you want to change it so that only you are americans in the land of the free. I think abortion sucks. But until it's illegal it's a given right. Think about that then next time you praise the Vets in your family and town.
  • by p on Mar 5, 2012 at 08:24 PM
    Is it alright that pepsico and other companies use aborted fetus cells to enhance flavor in their products?? They are doing it! Think about that when you drink your next pepsi.
      by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2012 at 05:37 AM in reply to p
      You're going to have to prove that one. That sound like so much bull doo, that it can not be true.
        by p on Mar 6, 2012 at 09:40 AM in reply to
        check out senomyx.com
          by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM in reply to p
          I went there and all I found was a company that "works in discovering and developing innovative flavor ingredients for the food, beverage, and ingredient.". No aborted fetus cells to enhance flavor in their products. Unless you can link DIRECTLY to where it states that these companies "use aborted fetus cells to enhance flavor in their products", I'd say you might want to take that tin foil hat off while you stand next to the microwave oven.
        by p on Mar 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM in reply to
        type in "pepsi using aborted fetus cells",,,hey, I did not make this up!!
          by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM in reply to p
          It is the CLAIM (no actual fact here) of "Children of God" that Senomyx has been using a 37-year-old cell culture called HEK-293 for flavor testing and possibly to supplement the product directly. These accusations never found their way to court for lack of proof. The The article also states that Senomyx personally never used aborted fetus for taste testing in foods or products of their subsidiaries such as PepsiCo, Kraft, and others; nor have they introduced embryonic material to the foods for flavoring. Once again, no actual facts just claims that fetus cells are being used. Well I can claim that space aliens are controlling our government. Go and look it up on the internet. I can grantee that some website on the internet will claim that it is the truth, but that doesn't make it true.
          by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2012 at 01:44 PM in reply to p
          It is the CLAIM of "Children of God" that Senomyx has been using a 37-year-old cell culture called HEK-293 for flavor testing and possibly to supplement the product directly. These accusations never found their way to court for lack of proof. The article also states that Senomyx personally never used aborted fetus for taste testing in foods or products of their subsidiaries such as PepsiCo, Kraft, and others; nor have they introduced embryonic material to the foods for flavoring. All these are CLAIMS. Well I can claim that aliens have taken over the United States Government. And I’m sure that if you search the internet that you will find websites that back my claim but that doesn’t make my claim true.
          by p on Mar 6, 2012 at 03:52 PM in reply to p
          There is obviously more data that you have missed. I am sure you will find it if you keep searching.. I'm a skeptic,,but you don't always have to touch a hot heater to know its hot.
          by Anonymous on Mar 7, 2012 at 04:30 AM in reply to p
          It is true that you do not have to "touch a hot heater to know its hot". You usually have some type of scientific PROOF that it is hot. I have research this and all I find are CLAIMS. Show me actual docutmentation from Senomyx reports that Senomyx is actually placing fetus in Pepsi. Get a Senomyx worker to state it openly that Senomyx is placing fetus in Pspsi and then I'll believe it. Until that time this ranks right up there with aliens running the government and 9/11 being a inside job.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 5, 2012 at 06:27 PM
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz enough already, time for something new.
  • by Pete Location: Grifton on Mar 5, 2012 at 05:52 PM
    Strange as it might seem,a lot of women who choose abortion regret it later in life and even those who don't think what the child would have become.some even later on want kid's and can't have them and die old with no family.there are people who would love to adopt.
  • by stalker145 Location: Jacksonville, NC on Mar 5, 2012 at 05:47 PM
    I actually drove by there about 7pm. It looks like no one cares about the unborn children. No one cares about all of the pain and suffering that men will be putting women through by allowing these inhumane actions to go on. I say this because there was not ONE SINGLE protester out there (I have pics and they'll be on the 40 Days site soon). NONE. 24/7 has turned into something different. More like if it's convenient: not too cold, not too hot... I bet they're all at home watching TV and having dinner instead of fasting like they said they were going to. Know what? I say thank God they are. I despise people that try to force their beliefs on another. Let them stay in their comfy homes and do what they want while people use a legal service.
      by liza on Mar 10, 2012 at 05:26 AM in reply to stalker145
      How many babies have you made women abort because you didn't want to pay child support for. Seems like them being out there is really affecting you. Does it make you feel guilty. Have you been part of killing unborn babies. If you throw a stone into a pack of dogs the one that is hit will holler the loudest. Must of got hit????????Big business in killing babies brings in big bucks to doctors and also keeps men from having to pay child support and then they can buy motorcycles and playthings have more unresponsible sex.
  • by Abortion Location: Davis on Mar 5, 2012 at 05:44 PM
    So how about if a female gets pregnant by rape? The female she raise that child with no guilt and let the rapist have offspring? Abortions are sometimes necessary , even for femals that get pregnant and have to abort due to their health....hospitals perform abortions everyday due to this ...or when birth control fails and the parents have no way to get health care. What are their choices....be pregnant without care and the mother and child probably die from birth?
      by liza on Mar 10, 2012 at 06:17 AM in reply to Abortion
      Adoption is an alternative for abortion.
  • by Erin Location: Jacksonville, NC on Mar 5, 2012 at 04:31 PM
    Abortions will happen if it is legal or not. They have happened through history, and will continue to happen. Making them illegal changes absolutely nothing. Others judging single mothers (after they made the choice to have a child) only make it worse for those who are looking at their options. I was there. I chose to have my child. Not because I'm pro-life, but because it was the right thing for me. Every woman is entitled to make her own decisions about her body, period. It's not up to law makers or any of these pro-life protesters to make the choice for them. If you're against abortion, change a woman's life by stepping up and paying for her unplanned/unwanted pregnancy and supporting her through an adoption process. Otherwise, you have no say. It's not your money, it's not your life. Generally, pro-lifers only seem to care about life when the kid is in the womb and as soon as it's old enough to vote. Other than that, they complain about welfare, medicaid, free birth control (and the list goes on). Put your money where your mouth is, folks.
      by G on Mar 5, 2012 at 04:52 PM in reply to Erin
      What about the baby's "say"? They have more to lose that the mother that is simply inconvenienced.
      by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2012 at 06:21 AM in reply to Erin
      So, according to your logic, if I see your husband or boyfriend beating you to death in the street I should just walk on because it's none of my business?
  • by Dave Davis Location: New Bern on Mar 5, 2012 at 04:01 PM
    If I could change one thing in this country it would be to do away with abortion. It is such a brutal, barbaric, almost medieval practice. How can this be progress for the human race?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141476403 - witn.com/a?a=141476403