Inmate On Work Release Stabbed At Bertie County Plant

An inmate who was on work release was stabbed early this morning in Bertie County.

Sheriff John Holley says it happened at the Perdue plant in Lewiston. The sheriff says the inmate, whose name he didn't have, was taken to the hospital and is now back in prison.

The Department of Correction says the inmate was from the Tillery Correctional Center and was stabbed by another worker at the plant. They refused to release the inmate's name.

Sheriff John Holley says they expect to make an arrest in the case.

• by Hard worker Location: NC on Mar 10, 2011 at 06:40 PM
    this is in reference to NCDOC employees I happen to be one of them and I take my job seriously people who have never worked in a prison or stepped foot in their are so quick to judge what we do our job is very important and until you can do my job I suggest you learn the facts and not all officers are crooked you have a whole lot of crooked officers and sherrifs on the streets as well.
  • by You Didn't Know Location: Bertie on Mar 6, 2011 at 05:27 PM
    You didn't really know that prisoners on work release worked at Purdue Where have you been all these years. This haven,t just started. Yes I would want to know if I worked there if an inmate was there, it's not fair to the employees. It's nothing I can do but I wish I could,why don't you take it somewhere higher and find out why, it's only fair.
  • by nlee1 Location: Lewiston, NC on Mar 5, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    I live in Lewiston. I did not know that prisoners worked at Perdue. Work release or otherwise. So this is my question. Do you regulars that work there know they are working among prisoners. This is no reflection on the prisoner that got stabbed, however, I just want to know. Just the same way you would want to know if you worked with someone that had the plague. I am in no way saying this man should have gotten stabbed, he was on the work site and the work site is suppose to be safe. Who had to kiss the devil to have Perdue hire work release inmates....I will bet it was those trusted commissioners....I see they did not have any prisoners working in their offices....Hey maybe this is what Zee Lamb was talking about when he said he was bringing in jobs....he just did not say who he was getting the jobs for....
  • by Tired of this kind of Crap Location: Edenton on Feb 18, 2011 at 04:17 PM
    No prison inmate should even be allowed out on work release. If you are a prisoner...then stay in prison. None of the NC DOC facilities are capable of watching over them in the prison....much less on work release. Too many things seem to go wrong....maybe there should be more investigations into the officers working at the prisons....I am sure we would find out the bulk of them are crooked...and should be behind bars themselves.
  • by 250 Location: Jax on Feb 18, 2011 at 02:17 PM
    Maybe a "hate crime" against the inmate. Someone thought he was the judge jury and executioner.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Maybe he looked like a chicken......

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116478198 - witn.com/a?a=116478198