Pitt County Has New Info On Emergency Food Assistance

Pitt County says those who have been approved for food disaster benefits and have not received a benefits card can pick up the card at Pitt County Department of Social Services. They are located at 203 Government Circle in Greenville and are open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The county says a form of identification must be presented in order to receive the card.

People can call (252) 902-1197, (252) 902-1105, (252) 902-1103 for questions about EBT benefits. Tuesday was the last day to register for the benefits.

Previous Story

Several hundred people waited outside for hours Wednesday to receive Hurricane Irene emergency food benefits in Pitt County.

Late in the afternoon there were still hundreds of people standing outside the county complex on government circle.

While no one at the department of social services would speak with WITN about the delay, several of those in line said a system glitch delayed the delivery of the benefit cards.

Shirley Jones says she spent hours in line. "We've been standing out here in the hot sun. The paramedics have already come and picked up like two people, and it's really been rough. There's been a lot of older people out here it's really tough on and I felt really bad for them. It's just I don't understand what the problem is."

A FEMA official did tell WITN that they were confident that anybody who was in line prior to five o'clock would receive their benefits.

• by jama Location: vanceboro on Sep 19, 2011 at 03:16 PM
    I don't understand why its taking so long for the foodstamps to be posted on cards. I have seen a lot of insurance companies pay for damages and yet the county can't get paper work done!!! Excuses are just not exceptable it called emergance benifets for a reason. It only took about five minutes to take our information but taken more then a week since applied and still nothing. How much longer the public is in need
  • by Anonymous on Sep 17, 2011 at 07:10 AM
    Well I guess you were prepared, uh? Well help the rest of us get prepared and buy us some generators. You dummy, not everyone has the money to buy generators regardless of the season. If you cannot make comments that make sense or offering to help the thousands of people affected by this, then just do not comment at all.
  • by Comeandgetthem on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:00 PM
    we will be working this weekend trying to get the applications keyed. Please be patient. You are going to get them, it just takes time, we only have 20 workers that have access to key, not everyone has access to key the applications. Keep calling the number to check the balance, i would probably wait until around the first of the week to start checking balances because we are keying as fast as we can.
  • by Me Location: Pitt on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    I think the question everyone has is when will the benefits be on the card? Anyone in pitt got theirs yet?
  • by Fairisia on Sep 16, 2011 at 07:32 AM
    When you saw the people in that knew and some were dressed nice did you think maybe the humbling experience of asking for help made them want to where that designer outfit that was a gift from a friend. When you saw them drive in that nice car did you think maybe it was bought a year ago when they had a better job and are still making payments on it that it burying them. And that nice cell phone...maybe they got it with a tax refund and it was on sale at the time. Otherwise they wouldn't have even thought of owning one. And mayby their power was out for days. Maybe they didn't go shopping before the hurricane and planed on waiting but since the power was out and their kids were too hot in their home with no AC so they ate out a lot spending the money they had set aside to fill that fridge with food...it annoys me that people make snap judgements. Not all of that I wrote above applies to me but I will say most of it does and it probably applies to a lot of the people that showed up. There are those idiots that didn't need it but you can't tell them apart from the ones that do so stop trying. They don't want you to always look at them with pity so they blend in the best they can...I know I do.
  • by comeandgetthem on Sep 16, 2011 at 03:25 AM
    The diaster foodstamp cards are available for pick up at the Pitt County Social Services building, 203 Government Cir, Greenville. 8-5. It is with our deepest apology that the cards were not available for pick up when you applied, it was out of our control, the state just was not able to get them to Pitt Co. We were told the cards were coming and then the cards did not show up. WE are working very hard to try and get the cards available and for everyone that was approved to get the benefits they deserve. Please be patient with the county employees, they dont set the rules and they are just an employee of the county. They are only allowed to do what the state and government say they can do. If the state says start a Diaster program, then the employees have to start the program based on what they are told to do. I will say that we are doing all we can do. Please be patient and respectful to everyone. County employees have suffered the same diaster as everyone else, give them time to get all the applications keyed in the computer, after the diaster applications are keyed, then the benefits will be available on the card. Please be patient, call the toll free number on the card, when the card gives you a balance the card is then ready to be used.
      by Pitt County on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM in reply to comeandgetthem
      I applied on Sunday and picked my card up on Tuesday. There has to be some idea when the benefits will be showing up on the cards. All you get is the run around when you try to ask about them. DSS... I am sure you know about the time the money will be on the cards. This is Disaster Food Assistance and for one, I would like to be able to replace my food before October.
  • by GET OVER IT on Sep 15, 2011 at 08:03 PM
    Let me clear the air for some of you ignorant people that is stating something that you evidentally know nothing about. It does not matter what a person drive to DSS to receive asssistance. Do you think that Irene decided to only affect those that are living below income NO she had no respected person of who to hit. It affected us all. Me personally has never received anything from Dss but at this time I am in need and NO i am not living below the provertysd level but YES I need the assistance so I made it my business to get it. I dont have a problem paying my taxes every two week i get paid, so let me get what i feel is rightfully mines. Dont judge anyone. if they didnt need it and they were there, Let the system take care of them. your rude remarks will not change anything. On that note I leave you with this "BE LIKE A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT"
  • by Anonymous on Sep 15, 2011 at 07:08 PM
    I was in the grocery store today and it was full of people using their ebt cards. You couldn't help but overhear them going on and on about how they got hundreds of dollars for free and that they had not lost a thing. I know some deserve it but I seem to always come in contact with those who do not.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 15, 2011 at 07:03 PM
    This is hurricane alley. If you are not prepared for power failure in hurricane season, You're dumb! This give away program is being abused.
  • by rogelio Location: southern pitt county on Sep 15, 2011 at 06:17 PM
    The leeches are at it again.........no amount of other peoples stuff is enough.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 129846163 - witn.com/a?a=129846163