NEW INFO: How You Can Help Eastern Carolina's Tornado Victims

Governor Beverly Perdue has set up a fund to help victims of the tornadoes and storms in our state.

Perdue announced Wednesday "The N.C. Disaster Relief Fund will accept monetary donations and is managed by the Governor’s office in partnership with the United Way of North Carolina. Donations are tax deductible and 100 percent of donated funds will go to survivors."

Click the related link below to make a donation to the N.C. Disaster Relief Fund.

Also below is a link to the American Red Cross, which is also accepting donations to help victims with storm recovery.

• by Granny Location: greenville on Apr 21, 2011 at 01:00 PM
    Obuma just sent 25 million to Libya to support THEIR WAR , why then do we have to beg from our tax paying citizens for money to help our own here in North Carolina?
  • by Snow Hill Resident Location: Snow Hill on Apr 21, 2011 at 09:11 AM
    No one except victims should be thinking about themselves at the moment. HERE IS ONE THAT INVOLVES NO EXCHANGE OF CASH AND YOU CAN WITTNESS THE CHARITY FIRST HAND: A food bank has been set up for residents affected by Saturday’s storms in Snow Hill. The bank is located at 410 SE 2nd St. Items can be dropped off from 9 a.m. until dark all week. For more information, you can contact Emergency Services 252-747-1090
  • by Coastal Res Location: NC on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    I am already contributing. I am sure I will be the one of the folks who pay for this disaster through even higher wind and hail insurance premiums. Everytime there is a weather related disaster in the non-coastal counties, we end up paying for it.
      by R U Kidding Me? on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM in reply to Coastal Res
      Just like the non-coastal counties pay for the coastal counties growing premiums everytime mother nature hits. Now I know you want need my help when the next hurricane rolls through. I will be happy to let my agent know that the coastal communty can take care of their own.
        by Praying on Apr 20, 2011 at 01:27 PM in reply to R U Kidding Me?
        this is what is wrong with the world today....Selfish! R U Kidding Me? should be ashamed! Praying for you both!!
          by Coastal Res on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:02 PM in reply to Praying
          I appreciate the prayers and am truly sorry for offending both of you. However,I don't see how my comment about my insurance rates going up is selfish...they go up every time there is a storm in Raleigh or Charlotte....just saying I am giving my share to everyone else in the state.
        by Coastal Res on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:06 PM in reply to R U Kidding Me?
        Do you also have to pay extra for wind and hail coverage on top of your home owner's policy? I thought only the select few coastal counties paid it. Mine is $2,000 per year over and above my home owners policy. No, I don't live in a mansion and I am 15 miles from water.
  • by Robin Location: Jamesville-Herring Festival Committee on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:14 AM
    The Herring Festival Committee will be accepting monetary donations for the tornado victims of Bertie County at the Herring Festival in Jamesville this weekend, April 22 & 23. To make a donation, please stop by the Herring Festival Committee tent which will be located at the intersection of Main St & Saint Andrews St.
  • by volunteer1 Location: wayne co on Apr 20, 2011 at 06:09 AM
    Before this diaster took place I had wrote to 10 organizations for community service needs, Council on aging, United Way only responded with we don't work after 5 and on weekends. I have a hard time with that. I am starting a movement called Just Give 1 day. I am working for free today and will donate my days pay. Is there going to be a funeral fund set up to help people in Bertie Co/Colerain. They should not have to worry about that with all the other problems they may be facing or have faced. Working on a Facebook page for this.
      by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM in reply to volunteer1
      Thank you!!
  • by Gville on Apr 19, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    how about finding a family that needs help, take them out and purchase some of the items that they might need every little bit helps it could be toothpaste, clothing, toys for kids that have nothing left just the smallest of things always seem to help.
  • by fred Location: martin co on Apr 19, 2011 at 03:18 PM
    How much of your donation goes into the pocket of the Red Cross? They are all about themselves. Only a fraction of the money that goes thru their hands reaches the victims. Give thru your local organizations, churches,,DO NOT TRUST THE RED CROSS!
      by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM in reply to fred
      I agree Fred. I worked with them and saw all the inside corruption. Do not trust The Red Cross!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120232774 - witn.com/a?a=120232774