Firefighter Speaks To WITN About Injury

WITN spoke with a firefighter who was injured while battling a fire at a home on Highway 33 in Grimesland Friday night.

Jimmy Hodges says, "We were making our way through and I just happened to slip through a hole in the floor."

Luckily other firefighters were able to pull him out quickly to safety.

Hodges says, "I was worried that I was going to be stuck for a while, but like I said my partner was right behind me. They got me out to safety and I feel lucky."

Hodges has been released from the hospital and says he injured his knee but is doing just fine.

It took firefighters several hours to fight the blaze, with flames shooting up more than five feet above the chimney.

Everyone inside the home at the time got out without any injuries.

Previous Story:

Firefighters battled a house fire in Grimesland several hours Friday night. EMS workers say a firefighter injured his leg and was transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. Fire crews say residents were inside when the fire began but escaped unharmed.

Firefighters from Blackjack, Eastern Pines, Grimesland, and Simpson responded to the fire at a home on in the 6000 block of Highway 33 about 7:45pm Friday. Traffic was detoured off the Highway at Avon Road headed east into Grimesland.

The fire became so intense that the roof collapsed and flames shot out of the home. Firefighters were still at the scene late into the night making sure the flames didn't spread to other homes.

A cause for the fire has not been released yet.

• by Fire Fighters wife Location: Greenville on Feb 14, 2011 at 08:03 AM
    I would just like to say that all of the support is very much appreciated. These guys do this because they love to help people. It is sad when one of them gets hurt that someone questions how they conduct themselves. I promise you, my husband *and every other fire fighter I know* Will run in to save your house much faster than anyone else will. They are committed and do this FOR FREE and sometimes even get looked down upon by society. I am lucky that I live in a rural community and I know most of the guys on the fire dept. I would trust these guys with my life, and I appreciate everything yall do! Just rememeber this: Our husbands risk their lives to save yours...and just think if it was the other way around. Their whole lives, and our whole lives, can change in one split second because they are helping complete strangers. God Bless these fire fighters and I think yall did one heck of a job Friday night.
  • by To Steph 1 more time on Feb 14, 2011 at 03:58 AM
    Instead of putting these wonderful folks down, maybe you ought to go to some of their meetings to see what is discussed or participate in fund raising events so that they can keep their equipment up & keep up with training cause it ain't free. But when they go to a home to fight a fire, that's free to you or anyone else who's property is at risk. I love the comment from Annon @ 9:23.."they run in when everyone is running out." God Bless all of our firefighters.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 13, 2011 at 06:23 PM
    the fire fighter hurt was one of my best friends from high school. these vfd guys love this more that anyone i have ever met. they need to be paid but dont get a dime... please support your local fire depts. whenever they are hold dinners, bake sales, raffles etc get out and support them... they run in when everyone is running out!!! i sure want them there if my house ever catches on fire i dont live in the city limits so they are all me and my family have to count on!!!
  • by tug Location: New Bern on Feb 13, 2011 at 02:54 PM
    Steph, as vfd said, the circus is more like controlled chaos. To outsiders that don't know its looks crazy, but everybody is doing a job, a chain of command is already established. I have been a VF for 13 years and can tell you none of us take it lightly. We have all seen tragedy. As for POV's, why would I drive five miles past the fire to ride a truck back that somebody on that side of the district has already picked up. We have radios and usually know who is getting the truck etc. If I don't drive, I'm at the scene dressed out and beginning initial assessment or water supply, etc. so when the truck arrives, we hit the ground running. As far as who oversees us, the NC dept of insurance and OSHA do. We have the same standards as a 100% career dept does. I am glad Jimmy is ok and will son be helping his neighbors again.
  • by vfd on Feb 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Steph, volunteers do not take firefighting lightly. we attack it just like a paid dept. would. and as for the airpacks, we do wear them the guys in the video were doing exterior firefighting in which does not require airpacks. There are no regulations on povs, there is nothing wrong with that. And u call volunteers a "circus"... u need to get your facts straight, cause nothing about a emergency scene vol./or paid is a circus, but this so called circus could be the ones saving your life, home or someone close to you..so do not put down the people who save lives for free, while leaving there family at home to help others. Great job to all my brothers who worked at the fire!
  • by Steph Location: Greenville on Feb 13, 2011 at 09:31 AM
    I'm glad the volunteer wasn't seriously injured! Looking at the video and photos online - it's amazing there weren't more injuries. Do volunteers take firefighting so lightly that they don't use the proper equipment? I saw only one firefighter with a airpack on! Volunteers now arrive in private vehicles to a fire? Aren't there any guidelines to follow? Who oversees these volunteers - the circus? Someone is going to get seriously injured!
  • by Just a girl Location: Washington on Feb 13, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    Prayers are with the family that lost their home, and also to the injured firefighter. To the other firefighters great job.
  • by FTM-PTB on Feb 13, 2011 at 01:28 AM
    Jimmy.. From a paid firefighter to a volly, I just want to commend you on your dedication to helping your community. The only difference between you and I is I get paid. We are all brothers!! Rest assured, you are going to get negative feedback from other paid departments, as well as volunteer depatments.Everybody wants to be a Monday morning QB, and will surely critique you on what you did wrong. Take it with a grain of salt, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Once again, great job!!!
  • by Michael Location: Vanceboro on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    "Officials believe the fire began from a wooden stove and then spread up to the chimney." You must mean a wood burning stove, a wooden one would be foolish.
  • by Anonymous Location: Jacksonville on Feb 12, 2011 at 07:06 PM
    Jimmy, thanks for being a volunteer firefighter. Glad your leg wasn't broken. I was praying for you!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116005534 - witn.com/a?a=116005534