Brother Claims Fatal Shooting Was Self-Defense

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

The brother of an Onslow County man charged with killing his wife claims the shooting was self defense.

Jaimie Hernandez says he was in the house when Kandace Hernandez was killed. Jaimie says his brother Juan did shoot her, but he claims it was after an argument, and only after she fired a gun at his brother first.

Investigators did say an argument led to the shooting, but have not said it was done in self-defense.

The Onslow County Sheriff's Office says a third person was in the Richlands home when the shooting happened, but have not said who that person was.

Previous Story:

The parents of murder victim Kandace Hernandez say just moments before she was killed Wednesday, they were on the phone making arrangements for her to return home. Today the Richlands woman's husband, a man who the sheriff's office says was a Marine Corps deserter, is charged with killing her.

"She said he was putting his hands on her, and I told her to call the police. She said okay, and that was the last time I talked to her," said Kandace Hernandez's father Corey Larew.

Hernandez's parents spoke to WITN from their home in Youngstown, Ohio only hours after the last time they heard their daughter's voice.

"I would have never ever thought Juan could do this to my daughter. I don't think she did either," said Kandace Hernandez's mother Tammy Larew.

Deputies Juan Hernandez, a man who once ran from the Marine Corps is now in custody. Crime scene tape blocked his Richlands home where investigators say he shot his wife. The suspect tells lawmen they were arguing over money and marijuana, but Kandace's parents heard differently.

"I heard my daughter say give me my wallet," said Mr. Larew.

Kandace's parents say she hung up her call from them by 2:52 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. Shortly after 3:00 p.m. the sheriff's office says it got the call of shots fired. In between just those few minutes, a life was lost. Lost too early because she could not get out quick enough according to Kandace's father.

"It was too late to get her a bus ticket that day. I was going to buy her a bus ticket fist thing in the morning so that she could get home,' said Mr. Larew.

Rather than plan a homecoming, now Kandace's parents say they are planning her burial.

Hernandez is charged with an open count of murder. Court records show he has a history of domestic assaults in Onslow and Carteret counties.

Previous Story:

WITN News has learned that the wife and victim of the accused suspect is named Kandace Hernandez.

Court officials tell WITN 24-year-old Juan Hernandez is due in court this morning in Onslow County after his wife was murdered Wednesday.

The 24-year-old man is charged with murder, assault on female, and resisting officer. Those warrants were served this morning,

The Onslow County Sheriff's Office got the call of a shooting on Wilson Avenue outside of Richlands Wednesday afternoon. Sheriff Ed Brown said the shooting appeared to have stemmed from a domestic dispute.

Brown says the suspect is a military deserter who used to be in the Marine Corps.

Authorities say one other person was in the house when the woman was killed.

Deputies say they've been out to the house in the past few days. They had also been called to the couple's home when they lived in Jacksonville.

Previous Story:

Deputies in Onslow County are investigating the homicide of a young woman.

The call came in around 3:00 p.m. Wednesday to a home on Wilson Avenue in the Richlands Township. Law enforcement officials say her death appears to be from a domestic dispute. She had been shot.

The woman's name and age have not been released, but the Onslow County Sheriff's Office says her husband, a former Marine, is now being questioned. Authorities say one other person was in the house when the woman was killed.

The sheriff's office says they had been out to the house in the past few days.

• by Jessica Martin Location: Sanford, NC on Nov 15, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    I had the pleasure of meeting her When she moved down here. She was an amazing person! I have never meet some one that as sweet as she is. I hope this guy gets life and has to suffer everyday for he has done. It is ashamed such a wonderful young girl was taken from this earth. I am just glad I have those memories of her!
      by nykolas lare on Feb 22, 2012 at 04:46 PM in reply to Jessica Martin
      this was my sister ty for ur senceerness
  • by anonymous on Jul 31, 2011 at 01:14 AM
    Yet again another marine who once again doesn't get in trouble with commanding officer. Domestic violence has been a pattern for quite some time,where was commanding officer who neglected to do his job. This young woman would still be here if he did.
  • by anonymous on Jul 25, 2011 at 09:08 PM
    I think its high time someone does their job and do it right , this wouldnt have happened if Carteret Co. sheriff dept. had done their job. Once an order is violated you dont let the crazy offender go. My heart goes out to the family I'm so sorry for their loss.
  • by dunce Location: greenville on Jul 25, 2011 at 08:58 AM
    So if there were more people at the home, at the time of the shooting, where the hell was everyone at when he shot her? What could they possibly have been doing if they were arguing like how they say they were? I know if I'm staying with a group of people, and someone starts to argue, you better believe I'm going to see what's going on. Sounds a little suspicious to me; everybody is a suspect in my book.
      by anonymous on Jul 29, 2011 at 05:31 AM in reply to dunce
      if u listend he said there were 2 guns there was 1 gun that wouse recoverd wheres the other gun
  • by Jennifer Location: alaska on Jul 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    I am Kandace`s cousin but she was more like my sister..we live together growing up. The whole family including myself are heartbroken. Kandace Rose was a sweet person and never voilent.. His brother is a lie and without going into details I`ll just say there is plenty evidence that it was no self defense. We are still in a state of shock. This is our beloved Kandace Rose..the sweet girl that always had me laughing so hard I was in tears. He has robbed us of so much. I hope that he is put away for the rest of his life.
  • by Nikole Location: Struthers on Jul 24, 2011 at 09:51 AM
    I knew Kandace, I grew up with her in Hubbard, Oh. In all my time i don't think i ever heard her say a bad thing about anyone. She was too good for him. She was beautiful and smart and full of life. She had an entire life ahead of her that got ripped away from. I just hope he gets what he deserves and justice is served. She didn't deserve that. There was nothing in her entire life that she could have done to deserve that.
      by nyk on Jul 29, 2011 at 05:36 AM in reply to Nikole
      thanks im kandys brother and your right nothing in the world should have made anyone do that tahnks for the support
  • by Anonymous on Jul 24, 2011 at 07:40 AM
    Nice message Jess, God Bless...
  • by jess on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    hi im the mother of his child and his ex-girlfriend..ur right there should be no fire arm in his possesion but after i took out a domestic violence order of protection he was oredered to turn a 44 handgun over to the sheriffs office which i know he did not do he gave it to his brother which lives with him... im so sorry for kandace because she was very smart and tried to get away but did not make it in time and im very lucky i did make it but i had marks and bruises to show for his violence! My prayers go out to her mother and father in their time of grieving and im deeply sorry for your loss!
  • by tania Location: hubbard on Jul 23, 2011 at 05:53 PM
    this is just a lil note to the family i have tried to find the words to help both you tammy and you bill for days i can't say much except i love you both and i am and my family is terribly sorry for your loss love you all toni d.
  • by Pirateman on Jul 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    Yeah, self-defense! That's the ticket!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125917529 - witn.com/a?a=125917529