Hiring Continues At New Onslow County Jail

A brand new jail sits empty in Onslow County.

The Onslow County Sheriff's Office says hiring for their new jail and training for new employees is still in progress.

Officials say the complex was ready to bring in inmates from Sampson County in May, but the county had not received the necessary permit to use the jail.

The sheriff says the new jail is now 18 months ahead in terms of training and certifying new employees.

• by pete Location: griftom on Aug 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    It will surprise me to here of people passing the drug test in ON-SLOW COUNTY.
  • by okayheregoes Location: Washington on Aug 11, 2011 at 08:30 AM
    Hmmm... empty jail?? Lack of employees?? I guess that 30-day residency requirement of all people applying should be eased then, shouldn't it? I know for a fact there are ready, willing, and able-bodied people who are begging to be allowed to even apply for the job. They are willing to relocate if hired. That jail sits and take up the taxpayers' money... compounded by the fact that some of the people that *could* be hired there are now having to rely on same said taxpayers to put food on the table. Open request to the Sheriff of Onslow County... how about easing that requirement, getting your agency OPEN/functioning and give decent people a chance at a job? You could of had one person who is already trained and certified in one of those positions... no extra effort required. :(
      by J'ville resident on Aug 11, 2011 at 04:07 PM in reply to okayheregoes
      Unwritten job requirements: Have the right connections, relatives and belong to the right Baptist churches.
        by So, you're saying... on Aug 11, 2011 at 09:07 PM in reply to J'ville resident
        We should hire former gang members? Convicted felons? Rapists? Drug dealers?
      by Frmr OCSO on Aug 11, 2011 at 04:19 PM in reply to okayheregoes
      I understand your frustration and I agree with what you're saying, but let me tell you as a former employee of Ed Brown. You should consider this a blessing in disguise that things didn't work out. I worked for Ed Brown for a long time and toward the end things got miserable and they've only gotten worse since then. Also, let me clarify, I was not fired, asked to resign, etc..when I resigned, I was in good standing and Ed Brown was completely surprised by my resignation. So my advice to you would be pursue a different agency. Best of luck!
  • by Gregory on Aug 11, 2011 at 04:04 AM
    Apply online under "Zookeeper"

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127510903 - witn.com/a?a=127510903