Highway Patrol Recommends Motorists Stay Off The Roads

The State Highway Patrol is asking motorists to stay put as snow-covered highways are causing wrecks throughout the state.

"Our troopers are inundated with calls investigating traffic collisions and assisting stranded motorists," said Col. Michael W. Gilchrist, Commander of the Highway Patrol. "For the safety of the public, we ask those who are traveling now to get home as safely as possible and do not attempt to drive further in this weather."

At 3:00 pm this afternoon, the Patrol has responded to over 1,560 calls for service statewide, with the majority involving motor vehicle collisions.

"Although the snow fall will be coming to an end , the real issues will begin in the overnight and early morning period when temperatures begin to drop and the road conditions continue to deteriorate, said Sgt. Jeff Gordon, public information officer. "Roadways on Monday morning will be very treacherous and we strongly ask that the public not venture onto the highways unless absolutely necessary."

Motorists who feel they must travel are asked to exercise extreme caution, lowering speeds and leaving plenty of following distance between themselves and the cars in front of them.

• by Sick of Pet Parents Location: Whatever that means on Dec 27, 2010 at 09:42 PM
    Hey "kicked back and chilling", ask your cat how he feels about it. My cat never says anything but "meow". The animal lovers keep telling me the animals are just like children regardless of the fact that they lick themselves. I was wondering if your cat ever learned any other words like..."hey dude, go to work" or "hey lady, pay the vet bill and stop being a deadbeat" or anything like that?
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2010 at 04:41 PM
    Motorist recommend that you do away with your "quotas". Citizens are tired of supporting you doughnut eaters & the lawyers & judges in on your racket.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2010 at 01:10 PM
    I guess the company that I work for did not hear this recommendation. They expected me to be at work. So, with millions on welfare depending on me, I showed up!
  • by kicked back and chilling with my cat Location: recliner on Dec 26, 2010 at 08:03 PM
    Have held essential jobs in my 57 years that required my presence 24/7/365. It is so nice knowing I don't have to go out in this stuff unless I wish to. So, you guys have lots of fun out there slipping and sliding around with the Yankees that can't find their way home.
  • by Jeff on Dec 26, 2010 at 05:57 PM
    A curfew wouldnt work for some of us... regardless of the weather, when you have duty you are expected to be at work, no exceptions.
  • by Wayne Location: Greenville on Dec 26, 2010 at 05:41 PM
    Mike, " so who will ensure the convicts stay behind the walls/fences." It is sad most of the DOP Correction Officers have your attitude. Someone has to work. Murderers and rapist are just waiting for the golden opp. to escape. Most so called C/O's do not deserve the job they have. They have no work ethic at all. For the few that do, THANK YOU for your dedication and desire to do what you were hired to do.
  • by trell Location: farmville on Dec 26, 2010 at 04:36 PM
    Just slow down enough said !
  • by Mike Location: Onslow on Dec 26, 2010 at 04:10 PM
    They ain't gonna listen! Youi want em off the road enact a curfew. Then slam some heavy fines on the disobedient ones that need to get their beer and milk and eggs and such. Unless Jax, declared a curfew I was expected to risk myself to get to work. A curfew give the employees to get off roads without fear of reprisal by their "bosses". Just me I reckon. Oh well.
  • by don't forget on Dec 26, 2010 at 03:40 PM
    clear off your entire car of snow, too. I hate it when your snow flies off your roof of your car when you drive at 70 mph and hits cars behind yours.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2010 at 01:22 PM
    The auto body shops are loving this weather $$$$$$

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112474549 - witn.com/a?a=112474549