Highway 12 To Hatteras Island Reopens

The economic lifeline to Hatteras Island reopened today after being washed out by Hurricane Irene. Highway 12 reopened to traffic shortly after 5:00 p.m.

The hurricane destroyed a section of the only road to Hatteras Island, and a new temporary bridge had to be built. That 664 foot long bridge cost $6.5 million.

The DOT says it hopes to have a permanent solution in place for the highway by 2016.

• by dia Location: Indiana on Dec 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    I am from Indiana and had the pleasure of visiting your beautiful Outer Banks July 2011 and had a wonderful time. My family and I drove down NC 12 from Nags Head to where it ended and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I watched closely when Hurricane Irene pummeled your area and was saddened to learn of the severe damage caused. My family does plan to return.
  • by Love_the_Island on Oct 12, 2011 at 05:37 AM
    Life on the island is different than most people know. I frequent Rodanthe and love it there. I am glad that they are rebuilding and I hope that everyone makes a full recovery, emotionally as well. This is where I go to feel at peace with the world. That is the reason most of them live there. Tax payers will contribute to more ridiculous things like welfare for people undeserving. These people choose to live here, yes but if it were your home, you would rebuild too.
  • by money, money, money Location: Dixie on Oct 10, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    Worked for the Park Service one Summer on the Outer Banks. Park visitors came from all over. Many were from Europe and the Northeast. Then, years later, a young fellow from Europe helped me learn to drive a kite I had bought at Ocracoke. He had many with him in his collection. A lot of revenue comes into NC from visitors to the barrier islands. The silly road is needed for rapid transit and evacuation needs.
  • by stop the insanity Location: ENC on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    NC 12 needs to be shut down. let the inlets happen and do everything by ferry. if you want to live out there on that tiny strip of land - DEAL with it. stop making me pay to subsidize your bad building decision. our sounds need more turnover - the water is stagnant and erosion just keeps getting worse - let the inlets stay!!
      by HI on Oct 10, 2011 at 02:27 PM in reply to stop the insanity
      To stop the insanity, i live on hatteras island and we generate millions of dollars every year in tourism that the state and yourself benifit off of. How bout the next time a tornado comes by and damages your town we not rebuild it. how much money does your town generate? The state of North Carolina needs tourism off this struggling economy.
        by Frank Sinatra on Oct 10, 2011 at 04:12 PM in reply to HI
        Well put HI. Some people cannot see the forest for the trees.
      by unclekb on Oct 10, 2011 at 04:49 PM in reply to stop the insanity
      Cali has earthqakes. Lets not rebuild, move 'em out! Tennesee Valley floods. Lets not rebuild, move 'em out! Wildfires in the south west, move 'em out! Entire Gulf coast region gets hurricanes, move 'em out! Mid west gets toronados, move 'em out! East coast gets hurricanes, move 'em out! Snow removal cost much more annually in the north east than hurricanes cost. Move 'em out! Please tell me where everyone should go???????
  • by human fire ants Location: coast on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Per my Geology Professors at ECU in the 70s: (agnostic view point) Hurricane damage is good for the economy. People rebuild what was damaged. Might not really make sense to rebuild but that's what humans like to do. It's good to know Hwy. 12 is open again.
  • by SMILEY on Oct 10, 2011 at 09:40 AM
    THANK YOU NCDOT!
  • by Dawg on Oct 10, 2011 at 09:39 AM
    I am glad for the people affected by this. Storm wash it out they rebuild, over and over and over again. Insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results. Hope they will finally elevate the road so that they don't have to keep rebuilding everytime nature reclaims what was hers to start with.
      by maybe you should move on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM in reply to Dawg
      That is a interesting point of view you have there "dawg". So do you think everyone whos home is affected by the weather in some way should move? Hurricans, floods, high winds, all these things are part of mother nature but does that mean we should just leave are homes and move somewhere else? Im pretty sure your home is built on mother nature's land also. I think you should move. Its her land and she said she wanted it back. Are you gonna move Dawg?
        by Dawg on Oct 10, 2011 at 03:21 PM in reply to maybe you should move
        I am glad that the people affected are getting a road back. Once the road is back they need to put in a second road that is raised like a bridge so they do not have to keep replacing the road every storm. This would keep the people from getting blocked out of their homes. If the people want to live there that is their choice. I just believe that things could be done better to help those people. Guess I did not make myself clear in the first post. And no I would no move to that area. It is the roads that are in question here, not people living where they do.
      by Anonymous on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM in reply to Dawg
      You can forget that.As long as we have democrats in bed with the enviromentalist nothing will change.It will only get worse.
      by To Dawg on Oct 10, 2011 at 04:21 PM in reply to Dawg
      Clearly you do not understand how barrier islands work. ever drive through what they call the "canal" just s of the bonner bridge? water washes right through the sand. elevating would accomplish nothing but costing more when it washes out.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131459883 - witn.com/a?a=131459883