North Lenoir H.S. On Two Hour Delay Wednesday

Students at one Eastern Carolina high school will finish an extended Christmas vacation Wednesday morning with a two hour delay.

The thousand students at North Lenoir High School have been at home after last week's snow storm kept the school in the dark. Melting snow leaked into a mechanical room and damaged a huge switch gear that provides power to most of the school.

The school system says crews are in the process of completing repairs and should have power restored to the high school later tonight. The school will operate on a 2 hour delay on Wednesday and parents, students and staff will be informed of any changes.

Previous Story

Classes will be cancelled at North Lenoir High School for the second day in a row because of electrical problems.

Melting snow from last week's storm caused an electrical problem at North Lenoir High School, putting about 75% of the facility in the dark.

While students were kept home Monday, county workers were busy trying to fix the problem. It turns out the melting snow leaked into the school's mechanical room, shorting out a giant switch gear that controls most of the building's power.

The problem was discovered Saturday and since then maintenance crews have been working around the clock to get the power back on. A new switch gear arrived Monday, but since the school was built in the 1950's it was tough going to interface the new with the old.

Maintenance workers say once the power is turned back on they'll need to check on other possible electrical damage throughout the building.

Previous Story

North Lenoir High School will be closed Monday to students and staff due to damage caused by last week snow storm.

A spokesman for the school district said heavy snow and melting snow caused a switch plate to burn out resulting in a 75 percent loss of power to the school building.

Updates will be made daily as repairs progress.

• by LoL Location: Here on Jan 4, 2011 at 05:59 PM
    Manoir county..really.. try Greene County! Now that's one nice place (sarcasm) On the topic comment: I wish more schools would do the phone messaging system Pitt and Greene schools really lack in communication for situations such as this.
  • by HAHA!!! Location: Here on Jan 3, 2011 at 05:49 PM
    Menoir County!!! I Love It!!! It is A Terrible Place to Live.
  • by maggie Location: lagrange on Jan 3, 2011 at 03:35 PM
    To Curry--- what in the world are you rambling about, the school is closed, what does that have to do with your ranting about Manoir Co?? agrees with working girl you need some medication ,Please see a Therapist!!
  • by Beckerrs Location: kinston on Jan 3, 2011 at 03:17 PM
    Truthfully i'm an student at NLHS and I have to go off of what I hear from friends, facebook, and then the news... It's a lot to go through just to figure out if I'm going to school the next day...
  • by working girl on Jan 3, 2011 at 01:52 PM
    wow---calm down. Can you say therapist?
  • by Byrdman Location: Sand Hill on Jan 3, 2011 at 01:39 PM
    Heck yea
  • by To Curry Location: Please on Jan 3, 2011 at 01:35 PM
    This IS a Manoir County. I am SICK of all the ANNEXATION going on in Kinston and La Grange and YES that is Dirty Politics and here it's all about the people you know and not what's right or wrong. I did try to MOVE by the way but in case you haven't notice nobody is moving here. LOOK up the stats Manoir County is #1 in the East for the Population going DOWN and you know there may be a reason for that. My House stayed on the Market for a year with no bids and $40,000 under appraisal. I say Manoir County because I live here and see it every day and I am not talking about Thugs,Drugs,Murders I am talking about these people taking what I have worked SO HARD for and I can't do anything about it. And the School System is right there with them. It may be like it is when there is a Weather Delay, You will find out that morning and again Manoir County is the only one that does that. Wait for the next Snow and watch the News Manoir County want have anything up there till LAST. Watch your Land!!!
  • by Tina Location: Kinston on Jan 3, 2011 at 01:03 PM
    North Lenoir is closed Tuesday.
  • by David Location: Kinston on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    The kids are always out of school these days anyway so you might as well give them another few more days off and call it another holiday.
  • by me on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    I'm proud too----but I did not receive a call. I'm going to call the office and find out if they have my correct number. I too just so happen to run across the info about the school closing. I agree with kga--it should be on the LCSchool website and on the school channel......

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112779114 - witn.com/a?a=112779114