Experts: Havelock Boy Finds 10-15 Million-Year-Old Shark Tooth

A seven year old Havelock boy made a once in a lifetime find at the Museum of Life and Science in Durham- a 10-15 million-year-old shark tooth from Eastern Carolina.

The museum says Jessie Duncan told his mom he found "something cool." It turned out to be a symphyseal cow shark tooth that one collector called as the "Holy Grail" of sharks teeth. The fossil is in pristine condition.

The Durham museum's dig site comes from dirt at the PCS Phosphate mine in Aurora.

The child's mother says they have no plans on selling the rare fossil and have placed it in a safe deposit box. The Duncans are talking with the museum about placing the fossil on exhibit. "I want other children to see it and learn from it," said a proud Jessie.

• by Wise Blood on Aug 2, 2011 at 03:22 PM
    Awesome find. My kids and I love hunting the fossils in the PCS rock too. Hopefully we can find something that cool. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your find.
  • by Elaine Location: Havelock on Aug 2, 2011 at 02:30 PM
    Wow, 52 comments?! Unfortunately very few are about this incredibly rare find for this sweet little boy. C'mon people, this is not the forum for religious debates or arguments over carbon dating or radiometric dating. As someone else posted, this story is about a child who found buried treasure! Congratulations Jesse!
      by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 03:18 PM in reply to Elaine
      The article is about a supposed million(s) year old rock. The debate is about the accuracy and method of dating said rock. I'd say we are pretty much on topic.
        by Vince on Aug 2, 2011 at 05:07 PM in reply to REM
        That's right, the educated experts agree this fossil is millions of years old. REM seems to disagree with the experts. For some reason he seems to know better than them. Maybe they have their head in the sand. Or, maybe.........
          by REM on Aug 3, 2011 at 08:05 AM in reply to Vince
          I have studied these subjects for just as long as everyone else... Are you saying that a declaration on a piece of fancy paper qualify you to be competent? If you think that a degree = automatically smart, then you are very naive. There are thousands upon thousands of experts that DON'T think the fossils are millions of years old. But let me guess, they somehow are disqualified huh?
          by ECU students on Aug 3, 2011 at 07:03 PM in reply to Vince
          It is amazing how many things experts get wrong. 400 years ago experts believed it was possible to turn coal into gold, 200 years ago experts believed that bleeding a sick person would make them well. 50 years ago experts believed that asbestos should be put into every building. What will experts get wrong tomorrow?
          by anon on Aug 15, 2011 at 05:26 PM in reply to Vince
          and 500 hundred years ago the Church believed the earth was the center of the universe....yeah, wrong on both sides bub.
  • by Brooke Location: Greenville on Aug 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Very cool! I have to admit I would have been selfish and kept it myself lol
  • by ECU student on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    it is funny how people think it is completely ridiculous to believe that we were created by a supernatural being but think it is completely true that we used to be monkeys.
      by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2011 at 04:46 PM in reply to ECU student
      Nobody believes "we used to be monkeys." I see how much you value empirical knowledge, so I won't bother you any longer.
        by REM on Aug 3, 2011 at 08:09 AM in reply to
        Syntax; obviously you don't recognize it. Ape-like creature is more correct; but ECU student was close enough. YOU think that your ancestors were apes, and we are the ones who are laughed at?! LOL. Furthermore, I bet you also think that all life came from a soup too right? Tell me, what *emperical evidence do you have for any of these claims?
  • by bear on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:45 AM
    Why is only the Bible being used as a medium to rebuke the presumed age of this fossil? Is the Torah insufficient? The Koran? Any other historical religious text??? Oh wait...cause none of them can spontaneously perform scientific tests to determine the age of an artifact. Narrow-minded, self-loathing, Bible thumbing fools! Do you know even know the history of the Bible or of Christianity? Have you conveniently forgotten that Jesus was a Jew? Have you turned a blind eye to the FACT that the Vatican any other power entities throughout the ages have inserted and omitted texts from the bible to serve their own needs and to ensure social conformity so that those they chose to rule would be ruled with little resistance? Have you forgotten the Inquisition? Have you wondered what religion your ancestors were prior to being forced to convert to Christianity - or die a slow, painful death? Congratulations to this young man! Shame on those of you who would make it into a religious debate - myself included.
      by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 02:09 PM in reply to bear
      Oh my. Those "Christians" that you mentioned (with regard to the inquisition/crusades/etc) should have read their Bible first. Thou shalt not kill was around long before their time. Again, you are merely attacking Christianity instead of rebutting the topic of radio-dating. Which makes you look foolish...
        by Jeff on Aug 4, 2011 at 02:20 AM in reply to REM
        nowhere in the bible does it say thou shalt not kill. at least get the quote right. It said thou shalt not murder. the unlawfully taking of life. the scriptures leave plenty of room for killing and execution.
          by REM on Aug 4, 2011 at 06:37 AM in reply to Jeff
          Ok, fair enough. Thou shalt not murder is correct.
  • by Sam Location: Havelock on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:20 AM
    I think that some of you have forgotten the purpose of the article. A 7 year old child found this fossil and you are all taking his glory from him by arguing over the find. Praise be to him for his find. Children need more positive attention than negative. so shame on those of you who just couldn't say congratulations.
      by bear on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:35 AM in reply to Sam
      well said. Congratulations!
      by Wise Blood on Aug 2, 2011 at 03:24 PM in reply to Sam
      Bunch of crybaby people who have nothing better to do that criticize. Just ignore them. they are like flies - Take the attention away and they go away.
  • by Gary Location: Coast on Aug 2, 2011 at 08:56 AM
    Ten thumbs up on a great find. I am just a local, I live in Pinetown, across the river from PCS. You should take your son to the Aurora Fossil museum, show him the PCS mine with the big drag lines that "Walk" and then ride across the free ferry to Bath where Blackbeard walked the NC earth. PCS might even arrange a tour for someone who found something like that. Be a cheap getaway for a deserving young man. I am 47 and I still love to ride the ferry.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Aug 2, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    I would hold on for years to come and never give it up for any amount of money, unless if hard times came, then if yo have to then sell it for billions of dollars from some filthy rich billionaire.
  • by T. Rex Location: Jurassic Park on Aug 1, 2011 at 09:51 PM
    Oops, I left off a zero, should be 50000 to 60000 years, max.
  • by T. Rex Location: Jurassic Park on Aug 1, 2011 at 09:45 PM
    You bible thumpers are delusional. You know nothing about carbon 14 dating, if you did you would realize that it is limited to organic material no more than 5000 or 6000 years. If you took the time and energy to learn the basics of scientific inquiry you would realize that creationism is pure garbage, just as fictional as the bible itself.
      by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2011 at 05:55 AM in reply to T. Rex
      I guess out of the 99% who think the world is 6200 years old.....there are two of us who have brains. How in the world did any Christains graduate Middle school, much less high school. I have Indian artifacts that are 10,000 to 12,000 years old I found here on our family farm. Granted i have Thousands of Artifacts, and only three are from that time frame, but the overall majority of my artifacts are in the 6,000-9,000 year old mark. Funny, The indians never even made it into the bible. God left them out. Just like God walked out on Jesus....kinda just left him hangin. Funny thing is....God, I have a news flash for you, After you allowed your son to be murdered.....the world was not free of sin. as a matter of fact, it only got worse. Just look at Kinston. Not exactly a town built in Gods eyes.
        by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM in reply to
        "How in the world did any Christains graduate Middle school, much less high school." -- it baffles me how some of this stuff gets past the moderators at WITN. Or does WITN condone such attacks against religion? Not one person has actually responded with an answer to why there are so many fundamental flaws with radiometric dating. As I said below, I'm assuming that you/all don't want to talk about science; you want to berate Christians.
          by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM in reply to REM
          the reason is because in the real world, you have freedom of speech... berating a religion is not against the law in the US. Having your feelings hurt as a christian, and wanting to cry about it, that is humor...once again, not breaking any US laws. Arguing over religion, once again....no laws broken.
          by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to REM
          Freedom of speech does not give you the right to defame. So not only can you not prove your knowledge of physical science, but political science as well! Great job! Take for instance the speech laws of Texas: "...injure a living person’s reputation and thereby expose the person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or financial injury or to impeach any person’s honesty, integrity, virtue or reputation..." Freedom of speech is not a free ticket to spread your hate. Go do some research; in fact, call a lawyer. They know best.
      by to T Rex on Aug 2, 2011 at 06:08 AM in reply to T. Rex
      GOD still loves you
        by T. Rex on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:48 PM in reply to to T Rex
        Prove It!
      by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 07:41 AM in reply to T. Rex
      So I take it that you didn't even bother to follow the link that I posted below? Rather, you just spew more talking points non-sense. How about you rebut an individual claim, instead of demean the ones who don't think that our ancestors are ape-like creature (LOL). Mainly, you should answer the one that says, "ANY type of radiometric dating infers a constant atmospheric concentration throughout ALL ages considered and measured. We are waiting....
        by Wilma on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:08 AM in reply to REM
        I suppose you think the Flintstones is a documentary.
          by bear on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:38 AM in reply to Wilma
          i believe the Flintstones is a child's cartoon based on The Honeymooners comedy show.
        by anon. on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:12 AM in reply to REM
        I am the anon. that replied to your post. I'd rather believe we are the product of evolution from a common primate ancestor than one from a chunk of clay. I am not going to bother debating this issue with you since it is impossible to change the mind of a stubborn christian.
          by no you are not! on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM in reply to anon.
          next time you claim to write something. Claim something you actually wrote. Jeez. I am quite sure WITN can check the IP address of those who make replies. But I agree on the arguing with a christian thing...it is like arguing with a dog. they understand absolutely nothing you say.....and there eyes are saying....Ball ball ball ball....bacon bacon bacon... You can talk, but that dog only wants a ball or some bacon. Christians are about as stubborn as old mules.
          by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:49 PM in reply to anon.
          So now Christians are brainless dogs and mules? LOL. I posted a link a ways down that brings forth some serious flaws with radiometric dating; and so far, not a single person can rebut it. All I have seen is "Christians are morons". Step up and tell us exactly why non of the points in the link are correct. We are waiting...
        by ? on Aug 2, 2011 at 09:31 AM in reply to REM
        I guess it's just easier to say everything just "POPPED" into existence, 6000 years ago right. And yes, I did look at your bias website, I even read his little theory too, sorry but it says right there at the top of the page "building a biblical worldview", so that tells me he could have easily been paid off. I'm just trying to figure out how all of you people think that a book, that’s a collection of stories, written in a cave 400 years after Jesus’ death is absolute fact, when there hundreds of other stories, myths, and legends written before the world existed, take Egypt (which is in the Bible) for example, hieroglyphics that speak of dates that the Bible reads to have never happened. Using the Bible recorded history should start around 3900 B.C., but Egypt’s recorded history starts in 3200 B.C. but that not possible since the Earth didn’t exist 3200 B.C. In fact the earliest known beginnings of writing systems emerged in the early Neolithic period, as early as the 7th millennium BC, 7000 B.C. So REM, prove me wrong.
          by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM in reply to ?
          Prime example here folks... When a "bible thumper" wants to talk about scientific facts, the scoffer ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to stick to the topic. Instead of debating about a particular subject (ie. "inferring a constant atmospheric concentration"), the person just decides to go on a baseless diatribe. I'll assume at this point that you don't have the slightest idea how to rebut even a single ONE of the flaws that were described. Lets talk science... I'm ready...
        by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM in reply to REM
        Yes, I did bother to follow your link. Do you believe everything you read on the internet? I have a link for you. It is called History or archaeology. UNC, ECU, UNCW all offer both of the courses. You can even major in them. But I guess, those classes are taught by workers of the devil. Jeez guy, you are making yourself look extremely bad to everyone with an IQ over 79. And for every link you post for your bible theory, I can post five that contradict everything you think is a fact. Critical thinking.....Using the bible as your answer to everything....is not critical thinking. Once again....God says the bible is right....who says god is right though? The bible says so, but who says the bible is right...god....who says god is right...the bible. What a lazy way to always claim to be an expert. Refer to a book, that is backed up by a supreme sky being. Fruitcakes. Total fruitcakes. As far as the...We are waiting.... Yes....please provide some facts....not stuff from a website, or the bible....so...back at you....we are waiting...
          by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:46 PM in reply to
          I have studied archaeology, paleontology, geology, biology, etc at university level. Here is another example of someone who would rather attack me personally then debate the issue like a civilized adult. "..everyone with an IQ over 79.." "Fruitcakes. Total fruitcakes." -- since you have not come up with one single rebuttal about topic at hand, I will just chalk this one up to bitter atheist syndrome.
        by Anonymous on Aug 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM in reply to REM
        How about looking up how the catholic church has acknowledged there may be life on other planets...and it was profoundly ignorant to think we are the only ones out there. I guess all Catholics are know part of the axis of evil.
          by REM on Aug 2, 2011 at 01:43 PM in reply to
          Yet another off topic blind swing at people of faith. I'm not talking about the Catholics on this thread.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126525903 - witn.com/a?a=126525903