Halifax County Man Dies Fixing Microwave

According to investigators a Halifax County man was found dead in his home Friday night after trying to fix his microwave.

The Roanoke Rapids Daily Herald says the girlfriend of 32-year-old Arnoldo Samayoa arrived at his home Friday and found him unconscious in the kitchen.

Investigators told the paper that they found a microwave oven with the shell removed, a screwdriver and two piles of screws. According to the paper, the microwave had been broken for weeks and Samayoa was killed while trying to fix it.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by C-had Location: police state nc on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    Microwave ovens suck.I still do not understand why anyone would put food they are going to eat in one of those things.My advice is to throw the junk out now before your tastebuds bounce on you although they probably already have.(not that you would notice since you nuke your food)
  • by obamanot on Jan 19, 2012 at 04:33 PM
    I have been stung by lightening three times,fell on an electric cable twice while hunting,when I was 16(1981)a motor that turn the conveyer on a potatoe truck shorted out and I took the full blow blowing fuses.Every time these things happen it makes you weaker.Why I am still above ground by the things I have endured is beyond me.I feel for his family.
  • by Frog trap Location: NC on Jan 19, 2012 at 03:08 PM
    Wow Frog what a zinger! However you may wanna reference a dictionary, or ask a third grader how to spell before posting comments. Best of luck in the future!
  • by frog on Jan 19, 2012 at 02:25 PM
    Microwave one. immigraction zero.
    • reply
      by Disgusted on Jan 19, 2012 at 05:43 PM in reply to frog
      Frog: U R a sick-o !!!
  • by Marty Location: Jax on Jan 19, 2012 at 09:30 AM
    Electricman, even though most of us know that. 110 is still the old school term we use in reference to common household power.
    Does anyone remember Urkle and the TV antenna?
  • by 250 Location: Jax on Jan 19, 2012 at 08:05 AM
    I was in bench tech electronics for helos. I am not afraid of electricy, BUT I sure have a healthy resepct for it. Ya gotta know what your doin people.
    • reply
      by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 09:41 AM in reply to 250
      I'm with you, 250. I, for one, am VERY afraid of electricity, which is why I leave this sort of thing to professionals. That way, I'm helping our economy, AND staying alive!
  • by Recently Location: Hertford on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:39 AM
    I recently replaced the magnetron(tube) in my microwave. It was $76 vs $225 for the same microwave....anyway....the instructions from the online parts supplier gave a specific proceedure on how to discharge the magnetron.These things can knock you for a loop.
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:24 AM
    Standard household 110v. electricity will kill you, alot faster than 220/240. Unplug or go to the breaker and cut the current. Worked on a ceiling fan many yrs. ago ( just a quick fix) cross arc. with a pocket knife - snapped a button size hole in the blade and knocked me off the ladder......... I was lucky. Unplug it or turn off the current if you are going to work on it.
    • reply
      by Common Sense on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:20 AM in reply to Shine
      Well unplugging it helps but it doesn't take out the complete risk of electrocution!
    • reply
      by Electricman on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:54 AM in reply to Shine
      Standard household voltage is 120/240. 110 and 115 haven't been in use for decades.
      • reply
        by HVACMan on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM in reply to Electricman
        Again Mr. Electricman, there is no set voltage, 110v will work a 120v appliance. /- 10%. Try checking the voltage in your house and see if you get a perfect 120/240v. I doubt it. I thought electricians would know that. Ohh i forgot your not a electrician, your a Electricman.
    • reply
      by hmmmm on Jan 19, 2012 at 09:08 AM in reply to Shine
      well obviously it didn't knock any sense into you Shine!!
  • by Smarter than you Location: Palace on Jan 19, 2012 at 05:44 AM
    A microwave contains a capacitor that is a storage device for electrical power much like a battery yet they operate completely different. Unplugging a device with a capacitor does nothing to discharge the "electricity" in the capacitor. So therefore all of you "genius’s" that gave the advice to unplug the microwave were only about 10% right.
    • reply
      by Electricman on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:05 AM in reply to Smarter than you
      A copacitor will only hold a charge if it is not properly grounded. If it was unplugged the whole time it was broken it will not have a charge. If it was plugged in even momentarily, it will. Not enough info to say either way here.
      • reply
        by HVACMan on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM in reply to Electricman
        Actually a capacitor is designed to hold a charge, and shouldnt be grounded. The only way to discharge the energy is to short the two terminals together or with a resistor. It's ok Electricman..... Now you know.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 19, 2012 at 05:03 AM
    I know from experience on a job working with large electronic equipment that, the equipment can 'hold a charge' in certain parts. Even unplugged, the microwave may have done the same thing. Computers, VHS recorders/players, stereos, lots of things do that. It's a shame he died just trying to fix the thing.
    • reply
      by Lee on Jan 19, 2012 at 05:53 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      Yeah, alot of electronics hold a charge for a long time when unplugged. I was aware of this, but when fixing my TV, I accidently hit the coils with the stored charge and it zapped the mess out of me. My arm felt crazy for a couple of days. It really shook me up. This could of happened to this man and hit his heart just right. Prayers for family.
      • reply
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM in reply to Lee
        That's right. Unless a person has worked with electronic equipment along with instructions for each type, including the meaning of lockout tags, they just wouldn't know. A lot of people think 'unplugged' means safe. Glad to hear you didn't suffer worse!
    • reply
      by amy on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:10 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      Thanks for the info. I did not now that.
      • reply
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM in reply to amy
        You're welcome amy. I'm a woman, but I just happened to work with some equipment that required a bit of training, in my past. Most fellas get this training early on, say in shop during high school.
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137656028 - witn.com/a?a=137656028
Gray Television, Inc.