Group Says Human Trafficking A Growing Problem In ENC

By: Group Says Human Trafficking Is A Growing Problem
By: Group Says Human Trafficking Is A Growing Problem

Leaders of one group call the combination of gangs and sex for sale a growing issue in Eastern Carolina. Satruday they gathered to raise awareness about human trafficking.

Dozens of people marched at the Greenville town common. They say the sale of human beings is happening here at home and across the globe.

This was the 3rd annual walk. Founders of Eastern North Carolina's Stop Human Trafficking Now say gangs in Pitt County are part of the problem.

Pam Strickland, says, “Across the county gangs are getting more and more into prostitution and therefore into sex trafficking. So one of the things our group is trying to do is go around and educate the community, our students as well as their parents, that not only are gangs bad for violence in general and drugs and that kind of thing but that they do very often have prostitution as one of their profit centers."

Steve Harding says, "The communities that we are in, the remoteness of some areas makes it easy for trafficking to happen and so there are a lot of victims in this area.”

Another way the group helps is by selling goods made in countries where trafficking is prevalent. Supporting jobs in those countries helps people become less likely to become victims.

• by 40some on Oct 23, 2011 at 03:40 PM
    Teen girls are ordered in mexico and then kidnapped here to be used in brothels and bars south of the border. Don't know why they didn't post the first comment? Got a problem with the truth?
  • by Marie Location: Greenville on Oct 23, 2011 at 03:15 PM
    What an odd collection of comments to this story. The epitome of ignorance even made me speechless for a moment. Maybe WITN should take the time with more insightful coverage as to what human trafficking is and thus help our communities with growing awareness. I dare you to print this comment!
      by Anonymous on Oct 23, 2011 at 05:37 PM in reply to Marie
      I double dare you. Then I triple dare you.
        by Marie on Oct 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM in reply to
        My comment was posted, whoever you are "Anonymous"! Tjoflöjt!
  • by DS Location: eastern n c on Oct 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    Better get use to sex, drugs, gangs, abandon homes,ect this country is turning into a 3rd world country thanks to our leaders in Washington.

by Anonymous on Oct 23, 2011 at 05:36 PM in reply to DS
      Thanks for your wise observations. You are an obvious genious.
  • by m on Oct 23, 2011 at 08:04 AM
    Growing Problem In ENC, if it is a growing problem then why is there not more news on it, kidnapping and such? How much is really going on, or is this just another believe because I say so.
      by Think about this. on Oct 23, 2011 at 08:26 PM in reply to m
      A little girl goes missing.....BIG NEWS......A little boy goes missing.....NO NEWS...There are just as many boys abducted as girls. Boys that get abducted just don't make big news storys or put fear in us like girls do......SO SAD.
  • by CJ on Oct 23, 2011 at 07:47 AM
    The only human trafficking going on in Pitt County is in the courthouse.
  • by Do What on Oct 23, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    @witn,you folk have a discriminative problem with my post?I t was very simple,no different from any of the posts I've read thus far.Or is it me personally that you have a problem with?As a graduate of the Law I can get help for you.
  • by It's Bad Alright... on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    This problem is almost as important as the haunted buildings in Washington.
      by Mr. Ghosty on Oct 23, 2011 at 05:34 PM in reply to It's Bad Alright...
      You don't think I am important?
        by Ok, You're Important on Oct 24, 2011 at 03:17 PM in reply to Mr. Ghosty
        But just you...not all the other ghosts.
  • by True woman on Oct 22, 2011 at 09:52 PM
    Mr. Larry you are right. I truly agree with you. I been looking @ WIN2go and thats all I been seeing. People that stay right beside us having sex with our kids plus making movies of these kids. Its not just women thats being sold put our children are too.
      by Joey bob on Oct 23, 2011 at 05:34 PM in reply to True woman
      I really need an interpretar to understand your language.
  • by Larry Location: Gvegas on Oct 22, 2011 at 07:01 PM
    I think some of us are missing the point. Human trafficking is not done by women voluntarily. They are held against their will and kept in abysmal conditions. Often they are promised jobs that will open doors to a decent living and once smuggled into the country are kept as prisoners with little or no hope of escape. If a woman decides to sell herself voluntarily that is pathetic enough but to be used or should I say abused is beyond horrific for some of these young women. They are victims not willing participants.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Oct 22, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    This practice is as old as mankind, but now has spread across the US, like a disease. If the young ladies had a better home life,minus the MTV/REALITY images they see on TV, perhaps they would choose a better life anyway. I have to add, men have always used women in some form or fashion, as men do not perceive women to have any real value, other than for labor (laundry/cooking), a trophy (must portray happy face for friends, holidays, MIL), or personal pleasure (you know what that means). It's always been that way, or is it just me?
      by blah on Oct 23, 2011 at 08:17 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      It's just you even though I agree with most of your posts.
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Oct 24, 2011 at 07:50 AM in reply to blah
        I should have said 'many men' in many cultures rather than all men. There are some good men out there, who treat the women in their lives with respect and love. I was bringing up some history about the treatment of women around the world, in general. Thanks for the feedback.
      by Hillbilly on Oct 23, 2011 at 05:32 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      It is just you..........Next.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132386163 - witn.com/a?a=132386163