Grimesland Couple Plead Guilty In Death Of Toddler

A mother has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter for the death of her son, while her boyfriend has agreed to a guilty plea of second degree murder.

Denise Garcia and Steven Foreman made the pleas this afternoon during a hearing at the Pitt County Detention Center.

The child, 2-year-old Da'Jon Roundtree, was found dead July 3rd in the couple's Grimesland mobile home.

The two reported the boy's death to authorities in Caroline County, VA. Deputies found the boy wrapped in a blanket in the couple's Grimesland trailer. An autopsy says Da'jon died from a non-accidental head injury.

Judge Russell Duke sentenced Foreman to serve between 12 and 15 years in prison, while Garcia was sentenced to serve between 16 and 20 months in prison.

• by omg Location: greenville nc on Feb 9, 2011 at 02:32 PM
    i know the mother and she should of not been able to keep none of her kids she would walk around looking nice while her boys look bad my mom seen one of her boys and gave him some stuff bc she was feeling bad for him and what i dont understand was if the other kids where staying with other people why did she have the baby and i would of like to been there to see what she said and why they killed him the baby daddy died a few yrs back and all he left behind was his kids and now she let someone kill one of them thats messed up and i feel for the baby grandma bc she lost a son and now a grandson
  • by D Location: Pitt on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:17 PM
    I am absolutely horrified that Judge Rusty Duke gave these people such a short sentence of jail time. It makes me sick. What in the world is he thinking?
  • by A mother Location: Rocky mt NC on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:06 PM
    How can the legal system call this justice that a non- black mother that they believe knowingly left her child knowing that he was hurt and went to another state with the man that she was thinking had hurt him, if that was the case. How did she get one year while a black man got 12-15 years. To me both deserved the same. Shes gotten off and this innocent child was murdered. This baby came from her. She had only been with this man for a few months. Whats wrong with this system? Where was her other children or child? The same way people said good things about this sorry excuse for a mother, people knew and could had said good things about the sorry man too. Apparently no one expected then both to be murders.I have known Steve for years and never saw any violent tendencies in him. I met her and 2 children at the bargaining of 2010. They had just started dating and brought the children around to play with my children. I didn't tell my children the details, but I told them that he was gone.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Feb 8, 2011 at 04:45 PM
    These two may have been handed sentences to sit, bide time, eat, sleep, read, visit, watch TV, but that little human being got the ultimate sentence. I pray God has accepted that little soul into a wonderful existance. It should be mandatory 'no more children' to either of these people. They had their chance; they blew it totally.
  • by mom Location: pantego on Feb 8, 2011 at 03:06 PM
    Did I read this right? Is the mother (so they call her that) really just get months in jail and not years, I really hope this is a typo from WITN, if not that judge has really lost there mind!!!!!!!!!!
  • by David Location: Greenville on Feb 8, 2011 at 03:04 PM
    That all. Glad I was not the judge.
  • by bull Location: wash on Feb 8, 2011 at 02:18 PM
    This really ticks me off, if I remember the baby was left in the blanket for a day before he died.The mother went to Va. instead of calling 911 maybe he would have lived if she would have. I believe she should of got just as much time in prison if not more than the boyfriend.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115593374 - witn.com/a?a=115593374