Greenville Walmart Shoppers Evacuated

The Walmart store full of busy Christmas shoppers had to abandon their carts and evacuate Friday afternoon when a fire alarm went off.

WITN had an employee inside the store at the time who told us when the alarm went off, everyone was ordered out.

At the time it wasn't known if there was a fire or why the alarm sounded.

Shortly afterwards Greenville firefighters told us the alarm had malfunctioned and there was not a fire.

All is now back to normal.

• by patron Location: Greenville on Dec 24, 2011 at 05:31 AM
    Sorry your eggs were warm by the time you were let back in but I thought they handled it very well. The employees made sure all customers were evacuated from the store before exiting themselves. Sure it was an inconvenience to everyone, but everyone was safe. Imagine being one of the cashiers who had to deal with angry customers when the alarm went off and when they were let back in to make their purchases at the same time the employees were let back in.
  • by Petey Pirate on Dec 24, 2011 at 03:16 AM
    For a minute there I thought the G.P.D. had taken a cue from those idiot police in Kinston and showed up macing & pepperspraying innocent shoppers.
      by Just Me on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM in reply to Petey Pirate
      At least they didn't shut down half the town over an UMBRELLA ...pffff !
  • by Target shopper on Dec 23, 2011 at 06:24 PM
    Wal-Mart "normal", what an oxymoron!
  • by shopper on Dec 23, 2011 at 05:37 PM
    I was in the store also and indeed you really could smoke from something...I had to leave my cart where I was standing. Glad all is back to normal and wal-mart is back racking in the dough...but my eggs had gotten a little warm by the time we were let back in...
  • by yukon on Dec 23, 2011 at 04:59 PM
    It was probaly the cash registers that was smoking
  • by Spencer on Dec 23, 2011 at 04:42 PM
    I was in there at 5:15 this evening and smelled something burning. I just thought it was the bakery.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136165708 - witn.com/a?a=136165708